Red spot on Dwarf Neon Rainbow - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Scapegoat79,

Time to 'bite the bullet' and play doctor. Net gently, place on wet towel, have Methylene Blue already set up with Q-tip for dabbing. Might be a two person job, one to hold the fish steady. Remember to use wet hands to avoid scale damage.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would be using antibiotic at this point. Kanamycin, active ingredient in Seachem kanaplex would be a good choice.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I would be using antibiotic at this point. Kanamycin, active ingredient in Seachem kanaplex would be a good choice.
Even though the fish is still eating and showing no signs of weakness?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Scapegoat79,

Time to 'bite the bullet' and play doctor. Net gently, place on wet towel, have Methylene Blue already set up with Q-tip for dabbing. Might be a two person job, one to hold the fish steady. Remember to use wet hands to avoid scale damage.
I'm curious how dabbing the wound directly differs much from treating the water column twice? Seems to me that Methylene Blue isn't having any effect whatsoever...

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat79 View Post
I'm curious how dabbing the wound directly differs much from treating the water column twice? Seems to me that Methylene Blue isn't having any effect whatsoever...

It's going to be a much higher concentration at the wound. The water column is greatly diluting it.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Even though the fish is still eating and showing no signs of weakness?

In this case, yes.

This area has been opened and exposed for a long time, you have done preliminary measures of clean water and methelyne blue to no effect. I would recommend antibiotics.

I would agree with antibiotics directly in wound if you had the dosage amount to safely do so.

With water column dosing you are given the rate of dosage -- making it a safer option.

Bump:
Quote:

Its about concentration. In water column, dosing methelyene blue is offset by organics in the water-- just like antibiotics are. A direct application eliminates this occurrence. As opposed to antibiotics, however, methelyene blue is safe to use without knowing an exact dosage rate. It is an antiseptic ( antibacterial), not an antibiotic.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:

Hi Scapegoat79,

As was stated above, it has to do with concentration. In water it is very, very diluted. When applied directly it is concentrated and substantially more effective.
Discusluv likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, I'll give the Kanaplex a shot. I don't have any qtips currently. Thanks.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up finding some qtips and dabbing the wound with Methylene Blue. Then I treated his tank 3x over the course of this last week with Kanaplex (as well as running 2 tsp/10 gal of Salt).

I can't tell that it's getting much better, any thoughts?

Thanks

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, it does look better.
If you look at the second picture you can see the depression has filled in some with healthy tissue.

In the first photo, you have a second depression ( to muscle) inside the larger one ( which is the top layer of scales).

Antibiotics continue to work several days after administered. Healing continues as well.
Continue to do meth blue swabs and salt to inhibit further bacterial growth for 3 more days.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You're right, after comparing the 1st pic to this one it does show improvement.

Will follow that advice and see what happens. Thank you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode