3 Blue Eye Dwarf Rainbow fish
1 male 2 female
6-12 Chili Rasbora

Cherry shrimp Colony
Endler guppies

Or any combo of these fish.
I can't decide

Sparkling Gourami ?

I really want a Gourami and some small tetra schooling fish and either shrimps or pygmy corydoras.

But the blue eyed rainbows are just so interesting also.

Ugh I want them all. Lol

But 20 gallon is all I had room for.

Shrimp I think is the way to go as a clean up crew so what fish should I go with if cheey shrimp is my choice..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_204242_1573529964278.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	889287  

Econde likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really only a choice you can make. Be sure to look at parameters when researching combining different types of fish. I personally like corys so a vote for those dwarf guys and shrimps are always cool as well.
If it was me I would research some more on the dwarf rainbow fish and probably go with those, the pygmy corys, and shrimps. Or chillies, pygmys, and shrimps. Chillies are pretty cool little fish. Either way you could have a decent school of either the dwarf rainbows or ecspecially the chillies.

Only reason not for gouramis is trying to have a shrimp colony may prove difficult. Not saying it cant be done, been a long time since I dealt with gouramis but remember they were pretty good at tracking down and munching on small live items.
Neons can have some issues and they like to swim so I prefer a longer tank if I was getting them. If you want a tetra try Ember tetras. They stay smaller and in my experience do better in a tank thats not as long like the 20H.

Just a few thoughts,
Tank looks good by the way.
schooldazed likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 AM

My 20 gal fish stock:

6 Neons
10 ember tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Albino cory
3 Otocinclus catfish
1 Honey Gourami
1 Betta

My water parameters are perfect. I've got a canister filter fully planted which are thriving. I can stock this many because I've got so many plants and I do my weekly water changes, monitor my water parameters from time to time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaFishGrl View Post

I really want a Gourami and some small tetra schooling fish and either shrimps or pygmy corydoras.

But the blue eyed rainbows are just so interesting also.

Ugh I want them all. Lol

But 20 gallon is all I had room for.

Shrimp I think is the way to go as a clean up crew so what fish should I go with if cheey shrimp is my choice..
Haha, I feel your pain. My nitrogen cycle is almost finished and I also really want gouramis with tetras and corys. Good luck deciding. Your tank looks great!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's hard when they are all so amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My 20 gal fish stock:

6 Neons
10 ember tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Albino cory
3 Otocinclus catfish
1 Honey Gourami
1 Betta

My water parameters are perfect. I've got a canister filter fully planted which are thriving. I can stock this many because I've got so many plants and I do my weekly water changes, monitor my water parameters from time to time.

I love the plants in your 20 gallon. Mine have since all melted really badly. What do you have growing in yours ?

I love the white clouds. I wanted chili rasboras but there so hard to come by in my area.

1 Honey Gourami
6 white clouds or neons
3 Otto
6 ember tetra
6 pygmy cory

Can I get away with that ?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-13-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:54 AM

@YodaFishGrl thanks, im no expert as this is my first planted tank but I'll share you what my current experience. I had plants that melted the fist time i put them in as they we're grown emersed (hygrophelia polysperma & rotala rotundifulia)at first i didn't even know why they look so different on the sellers pic lol and my lotus plant also melted. Anyway fast forward a couple of weeks later my polysperma & rotala started to bounceback like crazy althought it took about a month for they're true submerged form to show. What i did:
1.) Your light is important. I have a T5 HO light and started at 6hrs and just bumped it last week to 7hrs and thats after i setup my tank in last week of Aug.

2.) I started dosing right away which i would not advise you'd do as you will just shock the plants more, luckily it was just a lil dose and about once or twice a week. I'm currently dosing excel and potassium. I was also dosing flourish but had stopped it as my polysperma didn't like it. I may try again but maybe this time just a lil bit and will do it once a week. I may also try iron but im just currently battling a lil bit of hair algae not sure if its BBA. Good thing is I'm winning the battle a lil bit lol by just doing water changes and injecting affected area with excel everyday. I would say Excel is really great with planted tanks, specially for non hi tech one. My schedule for now is dose excel everyday and potassium 3x a week. Water changes weekly. That's all im actually doing with my tank.

I've put in the plant that i trimmed from my 20g and put it in on my 3.5g with stock light and my polysperma just started melting.

3.) Substrate. Im using AF lava soil. I've got limited options here in NZ. There's not much information about this but i tell you they are doing great so far. Oh i use root tabs for my dwarf sagittaria, lucky dip sword as they are heavy root feeders.

Research about your plant that your putting in. What light do they need. For me i think light really plays an important role for plants to thrive.

As for your stocking question. Yes those are really great ideas. Just a tip, im pretty sure you already know but just in case. Add them slowly and then keep checking your water parameters before adding another fish. Again i believe that you can overstock your tank as long as you've got good filtration, lots of plant to battle ammonia and keep your nitrate stable. I still check my water parameters from time to time, check my plants for growth, I'd know that my fish are doing well and are happy. Sorry for the long post. Hope your plants bounce back. May i know what are they? My plants are bigginer plants thats why maybe i haven't killed them lol.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

If your plants are melting slow down. Something is out of balance and your tank is not stable. My advice right now would be adding 6-7 ramshorn snails, changing 20% water twice a week, sucking up whatever melted plant matter you can in those water changes. Monitor ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and phosphates. Do water changes as needed to keep them inline.

Wait for plant growth to pick up/resume slightly, light dosing at probably 1/3+- recommend rate, absolutely no extra iron supplements etc, easy green only at 1/3 rate.

Healthy plant growth+healthy circulation/substrate=healthy aquarium that can support livestock. Right now you if you try to add stock my prediction is you’ll get a whole heaping portion of aquarium fail that will set you back weeks in aquarium setup/stability.

Also Blue Eye rainbows covers a whole family of species. Some like harder/clearer water and would be perfect tank mates for endler’s, others like like softer/more tannic waters and would be good matches for gourami, neons and Cory. Go to “Home of rainbowfish” and study types and their preferred water conditions.

Also, if your using tap water it’s always best to match fish/plants to water parameters that you have access to rather than force a fish into waters where it’s not in optimal conditions. If you’ve got hard/high PH water forget about neons. Get some Gertrude rainbows and some ramshorn snails to start off with.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I also started dosing right away. Maybe not the best from everything I've heard so far.
I got 4 white clouds yesterday. I am going to add fish very slowly. I'm going to remove my stem plants. And cut back my melted crypts and maybe add some jungle Val in the place of the stem plants. And add some floating water lettuce.

Here are my specs

20 Gallon Tall

Light: Stingray 2 LED
Filter: Oasis Filtrosmart 100
Planted Substrate: Fluval Stratum
Decor: Dragon Stone
Sand: Caribsea Sunset Gold
Dosing: Aquarium Co-Op Easy green, Easy Carbon, Easy Iron, Seachem Prime

Water test results
Ph 7.4
Ammonia .50
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 10
Tempature: 73

Plants:
Bucephalandra Purple
Bucephalandra Blue
Staurogyne Repens (tissue culture) Cryptocoryne Beckettii
Cryptocoryne Balansae
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green (tissue culture) Ludwigia Repens
Bacopa Caroliniana Red
Tiger Lotus Bulb
Dwarf Aquarium Lily Bulb
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you decide on sparkling gouramis, I would suggest skipping the RCS. I tested just a few shrimp from another tank in with my gouramis and they were gone within a day or two.

The stocking options are endless making it very hard to choose. That's why I now have 7 tanks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:53 AM

How long have you set your time? Start with 6hrs. Also if you can get seachem excell and slowly dose a small amount i would say 3x per week. It really helps a lot with my plant growth as this is like a substitute for CO2. Try not to dose iron as i think easy green alteady provides a small amount of that. I try not to dose a lot of things to my tank with the exception of potassium because of the deficiency and it has since bounce back. Though im still dosing a lil bit coz of the result i got from the combination of my excel. Plants were greener and rotala started to show some redness.

Also with excel it helps slow down the growth of green algae. Patience is the key, do one thing at a time. Try with the lights first and stop dosing and slowly dose 1 at a time. I'd start with excel. Not sure if some of your plants melt with excel although i never heard of it. I might be wrong so reaserch first then get one if you can.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did a water change and stopped dosing completely. my crypts had completed melted. But my repens has new leaf growth at the very base of what melted. And still is holding it's shap and standing up straight. My bacopa also has new leaf grotlwth at the very tips. But my ludwigia lost like all of its lower leaves.

I'm thinking of pulling them out and cutting off the bottom and replanting them since I stopped dosing and see if they grow better.

I've decided I definitely want shrimp because with the fluval stratum substrate I noticed the fish food really falls into the cracks. I want the shrimp to keep everything well eaten.

I'm thinking of doing 3 small schools of different schooling fish. And the shrimp.

-6 white clouds
-6 ember tetras
-6 ? Of another small tetra
-12 Red cherry shrimp

I'm not sure need to research some shrimp safe tetra or rasboras that won't get to large.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I also started dosing right away. Maybe not the best from everything I've heard so far.
I got 4 white clouds yesterday. I am going to add fish very slowly. I'm going to remove my stem plants. And cut back my melted crypts and maybe add some jungle Val in the place of the stem plants. And add some floating water lettuce.

Plants:
Bucephalandra Purple
Bucephalandra Blue
Staurogyne Repens (tissue culture) Cryptocoryne Beckettii
Cryptocoryne Balansae
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green (tissue culture) Ludwigia Repens
Bacopa Caroliniana Red
Tiger Lotus Bulb
Dwarf Aquarium Lily Bulb
Jungle val grows really fast and the leaves will drape over the top of the tank shading what's below. It's a great look, but it will lower light levels for everything else, and you'll need to stay on top of the trimming. All those dire warnings aside, happy to gift you some val if you still want it.

Your Crypt balansae, once it recovers, should slowly grow into a great low maintenance background plant. At which point you can decide if you still want to keep the val.

Quote:
I did a water change and stopped dosing completely. my crypts had completed melted. But my repens has new leaf growth at the very base of what melted. And still is holding it's shap and standing up straight. My bacopa also has new leaf grotlwth at the very tips. But my ludwigia lost like all of its lower leaves.

I'm thinking of pulling them out and cutting off the bottom and replanting them since I stopped dosing and see if they grow better.

I've decided I definitely want shrimp because with the fluval stratum substrate I noticed the fish food really falls into the cracks. I want the shrimp to keep everything well eaten.

I'm thinking of doing 3 small schools of different schooling fish. And the shrimp.

-6 white clouds
-6 ember tetras
-6 ? Of another small tetra
-12 Red cherry shrimp

I'm not sure need to research some shrimp safe tetra or rasboras that won't get to large.
White Cloud Mountain Minnows like much lower temps than most tropical fish--upper limit of about 72. There's not a lot of overlap in temp range between them and the embers. So just be sure to carefully research the optimal temperature ranges for your desired fish and shrimp. 70 might be a good temp for what you've chosen--in which case you might not even need a heater.

Tetras school better in bigger groups, so you might just want to go with 12 embers rather than trying to mix species. A nice sized group of embers schooling is a beautiful sight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
If your plants are melting slow down. Something is out of balance and your tank is not stable. My advice right now would be adding 6-7 ramshorn snails, changing 20% water twice a week, sucking up whatever melted plant matter you can in those water changes. Monitor ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and phosphates. Do water changes as needed to keep them inline.
Melting is common with new plants--especially crypts, and especially tissue cultured plants. Most commercially grown plants are grown emersed, so lose all their terrestrial leaves and grow new underwater leaves. Using some polyester floss in your filter should help trap some of the mess from the melt so you can easily remove it. In addition to snails, shrimp will also help clean up any melting leaves you might miss, as well as algae. Probably too soon to add RCS, but in the meantime ghost shrimp are cheap & easy.

Don't keep RCS myself, but everything I've read says you should start the RCS colony first, then add your fish so the shrimp have a chance to get established & breeding before their predators (for the babies anyway) get introduced. A nice patch of java moss somewhere will provide plenty of cover and a foraging ground

Good luck! Will be following to see what you end up getting, and how it works out....
Discusluv likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Embers are good/fine with shrimp. Sure they will eat babies but most/all fish will except maybe OTOs.

White clouds different parameters, and I think a little more shrimp aggressive.
Other fishes, dwarf rasboras like chillies/CPDs/emerald dwarf rasboras are a few that probably wont wipe out the colony. Nice thing about the chillies and similar in my experience they hang out at the top of the tank. The embers are middle to lower, they are kind of odd tetras. The CPDs are middle and front once established. All of these stay small.

And ofcourse the dwarf corys, dont want to leave them out.

IMHO I would start with maybe one school, the corys if you still want those, and the shrimp. Not necessarily all at once. Then add others like a week or two later. Dont recommend getting everything all at once and throwing them in the tank. Ramp up the population is safer and less of a heart ache if something goes wrong initially.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post

Jungle val grows really fast and the leaves will drape over the top of the tank shading what's below. It's a great look, but it will lower light levels for everything else, and you'll need to stay on top of the trimming. All those dire warnings aside, happy to gift you some val if you still want it.

Your Crypt balansae, once it recovers, should slowly grow into a great low maintenance background plant. At which point you can decide if you still want to keep the val.
Will the crpty balansae recover? It's super melted. I've asked a few people what I should do with the melt. But no one replied. Should I cut away all the melt and leave the roots behind ?

My repens and bacopa have new growth on top
My 3 different kinds of crypt look so sad.
My drawf Lilly and my bucephalandra are fine

Name:	20191114_193627_1573789439866.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	889481Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_193522_1573789474293.jpg
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	889483Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_193526_1573789519971.jpg
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	889485Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_193512_1573789542600.jpg
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	889487Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_193550_1573789573529.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	889489Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_193621_1573789600066.jpg
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	889491Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_193558_1573789623474.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	889493Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_193621_1573789600066.jpg
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	889491

Name:	20191114_193558_1573789623474.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	889493
I would love some jungle Val! That is so nice of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
White Cloud Mountain Minnows like much lower temps than most tropical fish--upper limit of about 72. There's not a lot of overlap in temp range between them and the embers. So just be sure to carefully research the optimal temperature ranges for your desired fish and shrimp. 70 might be a good temp for what you've chosen--in which case you might not even need a heater.

Tetras school better in bigger groups, so you might just want to go with 12 embers rather than trying to mix species. A nice sized group of embers schooling is a beautiful sight....

Melting is common with new plants-especially crypts, and especially tissue cultured plants. Most commercially grown plants are grown emersed, so lose all their terrestrial leaves and grow new underwater leaves. Using some polyester floss in your filter should help trap some of the mess from the melt so you can easily remove it. In addition to snails, shrimp will also help clean up any melting leaves you might miss, as well as algae. Probably too soon to add RCS, but in the meantime ghost shrimp are cheap & easy.

Don't keep RCS myself, but everything I've read says you should start the RCS colony first, then add your fish so the shrimp have a chance to get established & breeding before their predators (for the babies anyway) get introduced. A nice patch of java moss somewhere will provide plenty of cover and a foraging ground

Good luck! Will be following to see what you end up getting, and how it works out....

Should I add some shrimps to get established, and I can part ways with my 4 white clouds I have an empty 5 gallon they can go in. And ounce the shrimp are going add a school of ember tetras. I do want a good school of them.
How many do you think I can have ?

I do have a prefilter on my intake tube so nothing is being sucked into the filter. I was worried about the small fish, I new I was going to get at some point.

Thank you for the support and interest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191114_193642_1573789363928.jpg
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	889477  

Name:	20191114_193637_1573789399599.jpg
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	889479  

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Should I add some shrimps to get established, and I can part ways with my 4 white clouds I have an empty 5 gallon they can go in. And ounce the shrimp are going add a school of ember tetras. I do want a good school of them.
How many do you think I can have ?

How long has the tank been up and cycled? Shrimp should go into an established tank that has a good supply of bio-film, algae, micro-fauna. This usually takes at least a couple months from set-up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode