• 3 Post By Asteroid
  • 2 Post By Grobbins48
  • 1 Post By Leeatl
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do fish stress less with a rampable timed light?

Is having a rampable light actually beneficial to the fish? The sudden on/off creating stress makes sense, but is that really a factor? Are there any other benefits to having the light ramped on/off as opposed to straight on/off? How about a very low light at night versus no light at all?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:14 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
Just based on observing, a bright light abruptly coming on does sometimes appear to give certain fish a bit of a jolt. I feel like some fish barely seem to notice though and most handle it without a great deal of stress. In my white cloud tank they seem to get a feeding response from it and come to the surface in anticipation of food like clockwork at lights-on time. I've seen my rhino pleco dart into cover from lights coming on though and when I kept Africans, one electric blue hap male would sometimes freak. I actually switched out T5's to HQI bulbs on that tank largely for him (this was before the days of readily available ramping options). That was an individual fish with a skittish nature though and every water change, every time my arm was going in etc. had to be done with great care to keep him from injuring himself from freaking. As for a dim light at night, I'm just not sure it would make a stark difference. It's still going to go from dark enough to be in a resting state to needing to be alert in an instant. I used to do maintenance on a reef tank with a super fancy LED system that would duplicate moon patterns and during daylight would have occasional overcast cloud coverage and so forth. I always thought such would be the standard in LED units by now. At any rate, I feel like lights-on is more of a shock to the system of those that are more prone to it than lights-off.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've had guppies jump out when the light came on out of nowhere. The tiny skiddish fish seem more susceptible.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is it stressful to fish? I guess.

I dont worry about them jumping in reaction to sudden changes in light because I have lids on my fish aquariums.
I dont know... I tend to not stress on it because there are so many other things much more detrimental to the health of fish in the aquarium.

And, most significantly, prior to a few years ago, I didn't have anything but lights that knew "on or off" with discus for 16 years and they remain just as jumpy with my fancy lights that go from sunset to sundown (24 hour cycle) as as they always were.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I know it keeps my wife planted on the couch if you utilize the ramping lights. My fish didn't seem to care one way or the other. I utilize ramping lights for my own enjoyment mostly. I turn the lights off 100% at night, even with my 24/7, because there are nights that are much darker than the night cycle of that light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think most kept fish get conditioned over time to the lights going on/off. With that said if I ever turn the light on in the middle of the night they do seem to get jolted. Most lights come on when there's already some ambient light in the room so the lights going on aren't as much as a shock.
Blue Ridge Reef, burr740 and Tessa like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

My Cory's really freak out when the lights come on suddenly and run into things.

My main community tank is in my living room so I try and first turn on the light in the kitchen, then my living room, and then my tank light to mitigate the effects.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

I avoid the shock of complete dark to full bright by the timing of my photo period, which is 12 - 8pm.

This allows plenty of ambient light so there is no shock when the tank lights come on.
Leeatl and ChuckM like this.

|

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I avoid the shock of complete dark to full bright by the timing of my photo period, which is 12 - 8pm.

This allows plenty of ambient light so there is no shock when the tank lights come on.
I do the same just 11:00 am -7:00 pm .
ChuckM likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like more photoperiods so I can enjoy my tank for a longer time each day. With a dirt tank, it also partially resets CO2 (roughly half of previous each time). I run all ten set points with my Fluvals. Sunrise at 07:00, first peak at 09:00, back to zero at 11:00, start again at 12:00, second peak at 14:00, back to zero at 16:00, start again at 17:00, third peak at 19:00, then just 1% blue at 21:00, and nighttime at 23:00.

Breaking up the lighting seems to help the plants out-compete algae.

I vary the light mix for each peak just for fun, but I would be interested in a science-based model.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:13 PM

I have LED lights that come on very slowly and dimly before they are on, then they have a second set of lights that come on for about 5 hours later in day and finally they dim down slowly (over half an hour) and go to moonlight before closing down for the night. I think that it a very beneficial way for them to be treated.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Algae Grower

I've been using a Finnex Planted+ for about a year and a half now just for this reason; to recreate as much as I can natural daylight. Mine is a low-budget 65 gallon and I use it with the stock dual T8s on a timer for just the brightest part of the day.

Side note on "moonlight" settings: They're not really. True moonlight is full spectrum white. It appears blueish to us because that's how our eyes react to dimmed light. Blue light isn't natural (except for maybe deep water organisms where blue light is the last part of the spectrum to penetrate) so I never use it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. As I'm a night person by nature doing a 12:00 to 20:00, or ending whenever I decide my photoperiod duration should be. It makes sense as there will be enough ambient light that the tank won't be pitch black. I may add a small light on a separate timer to go off a half hour after the main light goes off.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Thanks. As I'm a night person by nature doing a 12:00 to 20:00, or ending whenever I decide my photoperiod duration should be. It makes sense as there will be enough ambient light that the tank won't be pitch black. I may add a small light on a separate timer to go off a half hour after the main light goes off.
That is what I do- my desk lights in the office provide ambient light so after the tank lights go out there is a transition.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode