• 1 Post By JJ09
  • 1 Post By YodaFishGrl
  • 1 Post By Triport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best lone cichlid for tank

I'm restarting my 33 long (48 inches long by about 13 inches deep and 13 inches tall) as a community tank. I plan to have a main school of black ruby barbs and a few accent fish, like six cherry barbs or a trio of swordtails.

I considered adding a pair of kribensis, but worried about aggression when they breed. (I've kept them before.)

I'd love to add a single cichlid of some type to add an extra dimension to the tank. What do you think about these species, and whether a particular gender of the species is best suited for my plan:

-1 kribensis
-1 convict (I've always loved the look of a convict but have no interest in dealing with fry.)
-1 jewel cichlid

Alternatively, would a pair of relatively "inoffensive" cichlids like apistos, rams or orange chromides work?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I currently have a trio of male kribs. I was hoping for a pair when I ordered them but that didn't work out. Anyway, the trio is in my community tank and they have established their own spots to hang out. I don't see much aggression towards each other or any of the others in the aquarium. There's a huge population of Endlers and Cories in there with them and they all seem to get along pretty well. Eventually I will get them some girlfriends and will have to relocate all the Endlers. I've kept the kribs in the past and all was well until they started spawning. They ended up removing everything else from the tank for me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I currently have a trio of male kribs. I was hoping for a pair when I ordered them but that didn't work out. Anyway, the trio is in my community tank and they have established their own spots to hang out. I don't see much aggression towards each other or any of the others in the aquarium. There's a huge population of Endlers and Cories in there with them and they all seem to get along pretty well. Eventually I will get them some girlfriends and will have to relocate all the Endlers. I've kept the kribs in the past and all was well until they started spawning. They ended up removing everything else from the tank for me.
Thanks for the feedback! I just love kribs. A lone krib is high on my list.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
I'm restarting my 33 long (48 inches long by about 13 inches deep and 13 inches tall) as a community tank. I plan to have a main school of black ruby barbs and a few accent fish, like six cherry barbs or a trio of swordtails.

I considered adding a pair of kribensis, but worried about aggression when they breed. (I've kept them before.)

I'd love to add a single cichlid of some type to add an extra dimension to the tank. What do you think about these species, and whether a particular gender of the species is best suited for my plan:

-1 kribensis
-1 convict (I've always loved the look of a convict but have no interest in dealing with fry.)
-1 jewel cichlid

Alternatively, would a pair of relatively "inoffensive" cichlids like apistos, rams or orange chromides work?

Thanks.
I can think of no smaller to medium cichlids popular at the LFS suitable to be kept solo long-term. There are some larger species, however, like Oscars and Flowerhorns that can be kept this way if you would like to get a larger tank.
But, the majority of cichlids are gregarious fish and either need to be in groups or in breeding pairs.The cichlids you list definitely fall within this criteria.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I can think of no smaller to medium cichlids popular at the LFS suitable to be kept solo long-term. There are some larger species, however, like Oscars and Flowerhorns that can be kept this way if you would like to get a larger tank.
But, the majority of cichlids are gregarious fish and either need to be in groups or in breeding pairs.The cichlids you list definitely fall within this criteria.
Do you think any species would be safe as a pair in a community tank? Or same sex pairs?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

I've kept my rams as pairs in community tanks always, and never had any problems at all.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Do you think any species would be safe as a pair in a community tank? Or same sex pairs?
I would recommend pairs, male/female.

No guarantee with cichlids. Where someone is successful, others are not as far as other fish are concerned and aggression.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good to know, @germanblueramlover.

Yeah, I hear you, @Discusluv

Thank you both for the input.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've heard of kribs being very aggressive when breeding but mine never seem to be. It might depend on the types of fish that you keep them with though. Mine are with African tetras (who swim toward the top of the tank mostly) a pair of upside down cats, a Ctenopoma, and a pair of Steatocranus casuarius. The tetras surprisingly completely ignore the fry so the other 3 types of fish were added in hopes they would hunt the babies and keep their numbers under control. They do somewhat but kribs are incredibly good parents so I always have a bunch in the tank. Everyone gets along reasonably well. There is fighting sometimes though nothing I would consider life threatening. Not sure how they would work with barbs though. They tend to hang out lower in the tank closer to krib territory.
NotCousteau likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't have any recommendations on fish, but am eager to see your tank!
NotCousteau likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

Could you keep a solo Angelfish in a tank of this size.. or maybe a male gourami. Maybe a snakeskin Gourami or a pearl Gourami. They are not a cichlid but are semi aggressive.
NotCousteau likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaFishGrl View Post
Could you keep a solo Angelfish in a tank of this size.. or maybe a male gourami. Maybe a snakeskin Gourami or a pearl Gourami. They are not a cichlid but are semi aggressive.
A 33 long is definitely too small/low for an angelfish.
NotCousteau likes this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you, everyone, for your input and thoughts. I really appreciate it. Right now a pair of rams or apistos are on the top of the list.

I was thinking maybe a badis species would work, too, especially if I wanted to stay with the Asian fish theme. I like the scarlet badis, but I also really love some of the other badis species. Neither are readily available, although I see the scarlet badis offered more often than the others.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode