• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Triport
  • 1 Post By Triport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking a newly cycled 75 gallon tank

My new tank is approaching the end of the fishless cycle, so I get to seriously consider my stocking plan!

I haven't kept fish for about 15 years, so consider me a newbie. Here are some key considerations:

My TEEN is actually interested, so I want to incorporate his input. He requested swordtails and kuhli loaches.
I want a community tank with some color.
I have never kept Gouramis and this fish will be the "showcase" fish for this tank.

Here are my initial stocking thoughts:
5 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
5 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
3 x Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
10 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
4 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
1 x Swordtail [Male] (Xiphophorus hellerii)
3 x Swordtail [Female] (Xiphophorus hellerii)
6 x Leopard Danio (Danio rerio)

First, any overall concerns with this mix?

Once my tank is cycled, I'd like to introduce the sword tails and either cory cats or cherry barbs--leaning towards the barbs. Is 6-7 fish too many for the initial fish introduction to the tank?

Note: I will not add kuhli loaches until the dwarf hairgrass fills in and the plants grow a bit to provide more cover.

Substrate is eco-complete and gravel mix. I have some hiding places, but the plants are not filled in yet.

My thread in the tank journal has all my plant information. Click here if you are interested in more details: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-atlantis.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_153300.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	889043  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

6 - 7 fish to start with a fishless cycled tank is fine. You could even add more but if you just add the cherry barbs they may breed and you might get some babies so that would be fun.

Don't need to wait to add kuhli loaches as they won't use plants to hide they will be perfectly happy with all your existing hardscape.

Fish list looks fine though you could probably do twice as many neons, Corydoras, and danios. Larger groups of the schooling/shoaling fish will allow you to see more interesting activity from them and will be a nicer look for a large tank overall. Blue gourami are hardy fish but IMO a bit boring. Attractive enough but not very interesting in their behavior. At least that was my feeling when I owned them and it is all subjective. They are excellent starter fish.
celticfrog42 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Swordtails preferred water conditions are at odds with most of your other choices. I’d nix them from your list.

Also they get fairly large at around 5”+.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by DaveKS; 11-07-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Content

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Swordtails are harder water species and do well with fish from Central America with like water parameter needs such as: Guppy's, Molly's, and smaller cichlids like thorichthys helleri . This would make a fantastic environment to highlight these beautiful swords.

I would recommend narrowing fish choice to either Central American and look for fish options within this category or do Asian species like the Gourami, barbs, loaches, Danios.
celticfrog42 likes this.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't believe the OP has stated what their water hardness is. From the tank journal pH is 7.6. Assuming they are using tap water most municipal water in the US is fairly hard to very hard so I don't see a problem with any of their choices.
celticfrog42 likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Don't need to wait to add kuhli loaches as they won't use plants to hide they will be perfectly happy with all your existing hardscape.
I have seen mixed chatter on substrate that is too rough for kuhlis. I figured the hairgrass might provide a carpet area for some comfort. Awesome to hear that it is not outright required.

Quote:
Fish list looks fine though you could probably do twice as many neons, Corydoras, and danios. Larger groups of the schooling/shoaling fish will allow you to see more interesting activity from them and will be a nicer look for a large tank overall.
I will definitely consider larger schools. I love corys and barbs and I enjoy the color neons provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Swordtails are harder water species and do well with fish from Central America with like water parameter needs such as: Guppy's, Molly's, and smaller cichlids like thorichthys helleri . This would make a fantastic environment to highlight these beautiful swords.

I would recommend narrowing fish choice to either Central American and look for fish options within this category or do Asian species like the Gourami, barbs, loaches, Danios.
Here are my water parameters:
7 GH (city tap water)
7.6 PH (very consistent--even while cycling)

Your water parameter point is taken, but I am in a bit of a spot if I exclude the swordtails. My son really wants them and he has invested some time with me on the tank so far. I personally don't love platys and mollies and a tank dominated by those fish does not really appeal to me. I would like to include the swords with the barb, loach, gourami stock if it is more aesthetics vs true environmental incompatibility.

I can easily pull the danios since they prefer cooler water. They were in the mix because I know they like to cruise the upper part of the tank. With so much going on at the bottom of the tank with corys and loaches, I was hoping for some fish who like swimming higher.

Any suggestions on a danio replacement for top swimmers? How about bloodfin tetras? Anything else I should consider?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-13-2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ah yes I see you have eco complete and gravel which isn't ideal for either kuhli loaches or Corydoras. Both are better off with sand. Though I think plenty of people keep them with gravel and I certainly have in the past. There definitely are people who will crucify you for it.

7 GH is on the medium side as far as hardness goes. Might be OK for swordtails though they prefer harder water. I know mollies can have health issues related to water hardness but I am not sure about swordtails. I haven't kept them since I was a kid and didn't know anything about water parameters.

Temperament wise I don't see anything wrong with any of your choices. Particularly not in a tank of that size. A standard community tank often mixes fish from all different regions of the world while keeping the water hardness/pH at a level they will all survive in so I don't see a problem with that.
celticfrog42 likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ah yes I see you have eco complete and gravel which isn't ideal for either kuhli loaches or Corydoras. Both are better off with sand. Though I think plenty of people keep them with gravel and I certainly have in the past. There definitely are people who will crucify you for it.
In my college days, I kept corys on gravel with no issues. I had friends who kept loaches in similar environments. After a 15 year hiatus, there is so much more information available, but also so many conflicting views. I was hoping I could ease some of the potential substate issues by providing a plant carpet over a good portion of the tank. Since that will take a while, I have time to weigh all the arguments before committing to the fish purchase.

I am already out over my skis with the new plant experience, but perhaps I could consider capping a portion with sand or a more cory/loach friendly substrate? I have never re-scaped an active tank. It would have to be reasonably easy to manage. I am open to any thoughts or recommendations on that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Corydoras sift through sand for food and suck it into their mouths and expel it through their gills. Supposedly either the edges of the gravel or the detritus collected in the pockets of gravel is bad for them and melts away their barbels. Sand wasn't readily available back when I first started in the hobby but now it is one of the preferred choices along with different plant substrates.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode