Need to make emergency new tank for breeding Apisto Borelli - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need to make emergency new tank for breeding Apisto Borelli

Hello everyone,

My apistogramma borelli bred last night. I always thought the female was a sleeper male cause she never seemed to show interest in the male but I guess that wasn't the case. I am super happy and want to grow them out and give them their own space to take care of the babies.

SO, I'd like to spend the rest of the day setting up a 10 gallon for them. My main question is this: How can I use the filtration from my cannister filter to instantly cycle my new tank? I have a well-established 55 gallon with a cannister filter. What is my best bet if I want to somehow use my 55 gallons filtration media to instantly cycle this 10 gallon?

Also I would like any tips of course. So far gonna be really simple, low-tech blackwater tank with a few plants here and there. They bred on a java moss rock so that will be going with them.

Let me know!
-Grimey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would take water and some substrate/decor from the main tank and then transfer a portion of the media from your canister to the new tank. Babies in a 10g won't have a massive bioload so just go with whatever is practical with the type of new filter you are using and what's currently in the canister e.g. you could transfer a canister intake sponge to a air driven filter for the new tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode