Stocking 20 G Tall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking 20 G Tall

Hey all! I'm pretty new around here, but am looking for some advice on stocking my 20 G tall tank.

I currently have one Halfmoon betta and a mystery snail in there. I know there's some debate over putting a betta in a 20G tall vs. long, but he's been in this for about 6 months now and is perfectly healthy and happy! The tank us pretty heavily planted with plenty of nooks and crannies among rocks and driftwood for hiding places. It currently runs on a sponge filter, to prevent a strong current for the betta. Water parameters are ideal with the current setup.

While I love the betta, I (and more so, my fiance) would love to see some more movement in there. I have been considering adding some shrimp, harlequin rasboras, and/or some neon tetras. I've read great things about housing harlequins and bettas together, so I may be leaning more towards that. I'm not sure exactly how much my 20G can house. Can I fit a school of both harlequins and tetras, or should I just leave it at some Harlequins? How many of each should I try putting in there? Additionally, how many shrimp should I consider adding? Is all of this going to leave me with an overstocked tank?

Thanks for answering the questions of a newbie! <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think many others will ask but whats the water parameters (as much as you have test for).

Shrimp I know the amanos (false amanos) do pretty good with bettas because they get bigger. NEOs (red cherry shrimp) can maybe do good. My betta doesnt mind the red ones but the black emeralds and such he goes after like he is starving. Each betta is different to some point so may take some trial and error. I would only throw a few shrimp in at first to see how it goes. Dont want to waste $30 on a big betta dinner if you dont have to. If he does alright with them and your water parameters allow you could have a good sized colony in there without issue.

IMHO I would stick with a single school of one fish but thats me. Many options but I would personally try to stick to the smaller side. Ember tetras, CPDs (if big enough the betta doesnt think there food), harlequins or T bones. Start with 6 or so to see how it goes. Could do some dwarf cory cats too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode