3Likes
  • 1 Post By varanidguy
  • 1 Post By varanidguy
  • 1 Post By SueD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey all - currently planning a 40 breeder, moderately heavy planted tank that I have just started a DSM for. Would really appreciate your recommendations for my stocking plan... I think it is currently a little borderline but hoping the plan will work out!

Angelfish x1
Rummy nose x15
Cardinal x15
Oto x6
Apisto agassizi x2
Apisto borelli x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think a single angel looks lonely and out of place. They look stunning in a small group. My preference would be 5 angels, one group of the small schooling fish and otos or cory cats. The dwarf cichlids feel like overkill in a tank that size. Good luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply! My impression was that for a larger group of Angels you would need a bigger tank. Plus I've been wanting to try the apisto for a while. Do you think I should lose the angel and try just the apisto?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumnewb View Post
Thanks for the reply! My impression was that for a larger group of Angels you would need a bigger tank. Plus I've been wanting to try the apisto for a while. Do you think I should lose the angel and try just the apisto?
Yeah, I think the apisto is a better option. Good luck!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IMHO I like the smaller fish in the 40B. A school of angels depending on which type would be too much/big for a 40B. The apistos would be great I think. Not sure about multiple pairs and what there required space is like so may look into that. With even 10 of each of the tetras it will look good. Will also depend on the plants and decorations you choose to go with.

Sometimes I feel like mine is getting cramped but thats because I have so many shrimp in mine. They are all over the place, combined with the 9 corys Ive got there is constant movement in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You could do a confirmed pair of Angelfish in a 40 breeder just fine. But, one Angel Fish ( while Angel fish are not necessarily gregarious and needing their own kind like many cichlids) will be a pretty dull aquarium for you and the fish. It would be better to see the interaction between a male and female pair than a lone Angel by itself.
So, sure, you can do a lone angel-- but, who would want to.
You could also, along with the Angel pair, do the two pair of dwarf cichlids providing their is adequate cover with plants, rock, and driftwood. Cichlids need their space to defend nd retreat to when needed.
The otos would be fine.
Schoolers like cardinals and rummy-nose?- maybe.
Depends on the inclination of the Angelfish. Cichlids being cichlids.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think the dwarf cichlids should be kept to a male and female or male and two females of only one variety. Multiple males, in my experience, is a bad idea unless you have a larger tank where they can truly escape each other.

If you're looking for a larger, centerpiece type, have you looked at keyhole or flag cichlids?
NotCousteau likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I had looked into keyholes though not the flag cichlids - will definitely need to do that. So it sounds like I should probably stick to a single male/harem of the apisto/cichlids I settle on and a matched angelfish pair with the schooling fish? Does that seem like a more fair consensus among everyone? Appreciate the help!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
My wife absolutely loves angelfish and a pair is really exciting to watch. A single school of fish sticks together, but I've mixed a dozen of one with a dozen of the other before. I've heard rummy nose tend to school together more. My cardinals were awesome to watch, I just like the clash of colors. But they hardly 'schooled'. Otos are awesome, recommend adding them later though. Let the tank age a bit and develop their food source. The only dwarf cichlids I ever owned picked on each other until one died.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
My wife absolutely loves angelfish and a pair is really exciting to watch. A single school of fish sticks together, but I've mixed a dozen of one with a dozen of the other before. I've heard rummy nose tend to school together more. My cardinals were awesome to watch, I just like the clash of colors. But they hardly 'schooled'. Otos are awesome, recommend adding them later though. Let the tank age a bit and develop their food source. The only dwarf cichlids I ever owned picked on each other until one died.

Rummy nose tetras are very tight schoolers. Itís awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freemananana likes this.

|
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I personally wouldn't put angels in a 40b because of the tank height - just 16". I had a single male angel (after he killed my female) in a 25g which was 20"H with rummy nose tetras. The rummys stayed in the bottom half of the tank and the angel liked the top half. He was a marble koi and got very large. Maybe if you had a smaller variety, they would do OK, but my angel would not have fared well in the shorter tank.
irishspy likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Algae Grower

I think this is a disaster in the making. First way too much bio load; second if the apisto pair up (you end up with m/f of each) there is going to be territory problems. I think I would get either the rummy nose or the cardinal or 8 of each instead of 15. I would also pick between the angel, agassizi or borelli and go for a pair. One advantage of the agassizi or borelli is that they are a lot smaller. The angelfish might look a bit out of place as it can be significantly larger (in my tank one of the angels is not too bad - maybe 5 or 5 1/2 but the other one is much larger - 7+ and that one would have difficulty in a 40B - while you could put 5 small angels in a 40B once they paired the others would have to be removed.
-
Also i would add a bottom scavenger - maybe 8 pygmy cory or 5 kuhli - if you go with the angel then a larger cory as it might treat the pygmy as dinner.
-
I have a pair of rams in a 29 and wouldn't dream of adding anything else that would be a target while they are spawning - the tank just isn't large enough. The 40B is a bit wider than the 29 but when I had one it just isn't enough - in my 120 the angels - after they paired up would not tolerate any other angels (they started in a group of 8); and they either killed the others or i had to remove them. They also killed a ram i had in the tank. Likewise in the 120 before the angels i tried 4 rams and after a pair formed they killed the others - just isn't enough space - the 120 is a bit larger than the 40B. My tanks are planted but that didn't help much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumnewb View Post
Hey all - currently planning a 40 breeder, moderately heavy planted tank that I have just started a DSM for. Would really appreciate your recommendations for my stocking plan... I think it is currently a little borderline but hoping the plan will work out!

Angelfish x1
Rummy nose x15
Cardinal x15
Oto x6
Apisto agassizi x2
Apisto borelli x2
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for all the replies!

Seems like maybe I should move towards a single dwarf cichlid species, and no Angel. I would probably start with a single large school of cardinal x15. I plan a heavily planted tank with moderate filter rate (sunsun 303B), so I think my tank will tolerate the second school of rummy nose down the road, though will see how the tank fares without. I initially was thinking of cory, though I will have a Monte Carlo carpet and the Cory will dig that up; I will have Amano shrimp as my scavengers though

So here's what I am thinking based on cumulative feedback:
Apisto matched pair/harem (2-3 fish)
Oto x6
Cardinal tetra x15
Amano shrimp
+/- Rummynose school
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Angels really shouldn't be in a 40B. They need more height.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode