65g long (4ft) stocking - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
65g long (4ft) stocking

Hi all,

So I decided to abandon my previous project and went bigger -

a 65 gallon lLong - 47 x 16 x 20(height)

I will be transferring 2 still young keyhole cichlids from my 30g, and would like to add a few fish which grow larger, rather than have 100+ neon tetras in there for example.

I really like the colors of american cichlids - this is what I plan - feel free to bring arguments , suggestions , advice whether this is a good combo, or if I should reconsider adding certain species.

Filtration (for now) will be an Eheim 2215...... plus the internal filter which came with the tank ( pump is around 600 Liters per hour, translated to approx. 150gph). Maybe in the future I will remove the internal and get a single larger external, who knows....

This is my stocking plan :

2 keyhole cichlids
1 Electric Blue Acara
1 Firemouth
1 Jewel Cichlid
5 or 6 Congo Tetras
1 or 2 catfish (any suggestions?)

I chose one of each cichlid as I do not want pairing nor fry......

I also like other large'ish cichlids like Geophagus, Rainbows, for example,.....I am aware that this may be too many species to put together , any tips on what I could add/remove from this cichlid soup?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Firemouth and jewel cichlids can be pretty aggressive. While all these fish can be kept together there might be a lot of fighting. Not sure a 65 gallon is big enough for them to get away with each other but it helps that it is a 4' long footprint rather than 3' long. Just be sure to have lots of stone/wood/plants as site breaks and places for bullied fish to hide and consider if the jewel or firemouth get too aggressive you may need to rehome them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Firemouth and jewel cichlids can be pretty aggressive. While all these fish can be kept together there might be a lot of fighting. Not sure a 65 gallon is big enough for them to get away with each other but it helps that it is a 4' long footprint rather than 3' long. Just be sure to have lots of stone/wood/plants as site breaks and places for bullied fish to hide and consider if the jewel or firemouth get too aggressive you may need to rehome them.
Thanks for the reply. I kinda felt I was pushing it with this many species of cichlids. This configuration is not a must - I really like the blue Acara though, and I would like to build it around that.

What also holds me back about Jewels is that they dig- African style, stirring up mess in the tank - not worried about the plants though, I will have Anubias, Java ferns, and other attachable to hardscape plants for the most part.

Speaking of that, maybe it would be better to give up on the Jewel and get a Red Tail Shark(since it's an algae eater) - although territorial, I suppose it would be less aggressive than a jewel.

I am open to any other suggestions though Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode