• 1 Post By NotCousteau
  • 1 Post By evil8
  • 2 Post By Triport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Long Distance Nano Fish Transportation

So the LFS that told me they could order me C. Habrosus can't seem to get any in. Actually they ordered the wrong fish the first time and now are telling me if they ever do get the correct fish they'll call me. So, I found some at a store 2 hours away and I'll have to go get them. I'll probably pick up a dozen of these corys and a dozen harlequin rasboras if they have them at the same time.

What would be the best way to transport these safely back home (a two hour drive)? I was thinking a Styrofoam cooler and a battery powered air pump? The air temp is getting cold up here, but the car will be warm and it's mostly all highway driving.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
So the LFS that told me they could order me C. Habrosus can't seem to get any in. Actually they ordered the wrong fish the first time and now are telling me if they ever do get the correct fish they'll call me. So, I found some at a store 2 hours away and I'll have to go get them. I'll probably pick up a dozen of these corys and a dozen harlequin rasboras if they have them at the same time.

What would be the best way to transport these safely back home (a two hour drive)? I was thinking a Styrofoam cooler and a battery powered air pump? The air temp is getting cold up here, but the car will be warm and it's mostly all highway driving.

Thanks!
I just sold a few saltwater fish, corals and invertebrates (all bagged appropriately and individually) to a woman who drove them home two hours in cold Minnesota individually bagged and placed in plastic buckets, and everything survived. (I recommended a cooler.) The fish were packed individually in regular plastic fish bags with a lot of air and about 1/3 water.

I'd recommend telling the store you're driving two hours so they pack only a few fish in each bag, use big bags and leave a lot of room for air. I'd also ask them to bag on-site while you're there instead of bagging the fish up before your visit to maximize oxygen content. I'd keep all the fish in their bags and put them in a cooler that's been kept at room temperature/warm in your house and car. Bring something to buffer the bags in the cooler (wadded up newspaper?) so they don't roll around.

I wouldn't recommend dumping the fish and their water in a big cooler. I've never transported fish two hours, but I've had fish delivered to my house overnight in plastic bags and they survived just fine.

Good luck!
evil8 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
I just sold a few saltwater fish, corals and invertebrates (all bagged appropriately and individually) to a woman who drove them home two hours in cold Minnesota individually bagged and placed in plastic buckets, and everything survived. (I recommended a cooler.) The fish were packed individually in regular plastic fish bags with a lot of air and about 1/3 water.
It is getting cold up here in the Northland. I will be driving from just outside Duluth to the Quality Aquatics store in N. Minneapolis to get the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
I'd recommend telling the store you're driving two hours so they pack only a few fish in each bag, use big bags and leave a lot of room for air. I'd also ask them to bag on-site while you're there instead of bagging the fish up before your visit to maximize oxygen content. I'd keep all the fish in their bags and put them in a cooler that's been kept at room temperature/warm in your house and car. Bring something to buffer the bags in the cooler (wadded up newspaper?) so they don't roll around.
Good advice. Thanks!
NotCousteau likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
They should be good in a Styrofoam cooler.

RAOK Club #55
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah just be sure to let them know at the store how long they will be in the bag. Fish spend way more than 2 hours in bags when being shipped all around the world. Two hours shouldn't be a problem.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yeah 2 hours will be their shortest journey yet! If you can keep their temp stable which should be easy in a heated car, a nice insulated cooler should be all you need. Really shouldn't be much more stressful on them than if you live 5 minutes away.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 AM
Planted Member

Just drive them home. These are nano fish we're talking about - they won't be pooping up a storm. The amount of oxygen they use is negligible in that time as well.

They will be fine bagged up for a few hours. If you're really nervous, a dark bag or cooler would help them avoid stress from flashing lights when driving. If the store has oxygen or a tiny piece of filter pad, you can have them add it if they want but if I was the employee I'd probably tell you not to waste the oxygen haha. Just don't let them rock around in the car or get too cold, and keep them dark to avoid stress. They will be totally fine.

Keep in mind these fish made their way from Colombia and Asia in worse/more crowded conditions and much longer transit times. They won't even realize they are going somewhere

Go Timbers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode