• 1 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Rasbora Beret

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need a Rainbow fish ID please

A few months ago I purchased a group of (mostly) mature rainbow fish from a local hobbyist who could no longer care for them. It was quite a varied group, and since I had not kept rainbows before the seller wrote out a list of the different breeds (or strains?) for me. Of course I have since lost that list and for the life of me I can't remember what kind of rainbow this is in the photo below with the red arrow pointing to it. Can some kind soul please tell me what it is?

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pic is not showing up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No pic...hmm, that's strange, because when I click on the post I see the photo. Oh well, thank you @Greggz for pointing this out! I will try again:

Bump: Ok, now I don't see any photo at all showing up. One more try:

[IMG][/IMG]

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

OK I can see it now.

Tough call base on the picture, as it does not show much detail.

Based on the shape, likely a Glossolepis. Can't see the markings too clearly, and guessing it's pretty small maybe two inches. Will be easier when it develops more color and you can get a clearer picture.

First guess would be G. Dorityi. Here's one of mine of a similar size. Does it show the red stripes developing?

---
---
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Gregs probably right. Ill go with glossolepis wanamensis, probably a female by fin shape. It looks old enough that there should be some defining characteristics in both fin shape and color intensity.
Greggz likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks @DaveKS and @Greggz! I know my photo is not the best quality, but this fish really is very washed out in terms of color compared to the other bows. Posted 2 more pics to demonstrate the ambiguity of this guy's coloring:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Greggz likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Might be a late bloomer....or a female.

So give it some time, and the picture is still pretty blurry.

Here is a Dorityi at about 1.5" no color yet.....

Here is the same fish 7 months later and about 3".

The one I posted earlier is about midway between these two. So give it some time, still might be a real keeper.
makeme likes this.

---
---
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Females on a lot of rainbows are fairly drab compared to males.

This is good resource for ID.

Melanotaeniidae and Pseudomugilidae
makeme likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
OK I can see it now.

Tough call base on the picture, as it does not show much detail.

Based on the shape, likely a Glossolepis. Can't see the markings too clearly, and guessing it's pretty small maybe two inches. Will be easier when it develops more color and you can get a clearer picture.

First guess would be G. Dorityi. Here's one of mine of a similar size. Does it show the red stripes developing?

Beautiful fish
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode