CPDs shimming/eratic - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well good news. The CPDs and couple of Embers were out in the middle of the tank when I got home (usual spot around dinner time). Fed them and the CPDs actually ate some food. I dont think I have scene them eat for a while.

They are obviously still skinny, still doing some of the twitch/shimmy swimming. Still small steps in right direction are good. They didnt go down and attack the wafer I put in for the cats but did eat some of the flake stuff I fed em.
Discusluv and Streetwise like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Well good news. The CPDs and couple of Embers were out in the middle of the tank when I got home (usual spot around dinner time). Fed them and the CPDs actually ate some food. I dont think I have scene them eat for a while.

They are obviously still skinny, still doing some of the twitch/shimmy swimming. Still small steps in right direction are good. They didnt go down and attack the wafer I put in for the cats but did eat some of the flake stuff I fed em.
Excellent! Sounds like with the medicine have reached that corner where no more deaths and healing begins.
Streetwise likes this.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How are they? No deaths still?

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
traveling home now so will find out in couple hours. See how it goes. If they look good will try and do water changes today and pick up some AC to put in filter tomorrow after work.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A couple things can do to help fish regain health and lost vigor: Raise temp 2 degrees; this actually helps spur appetite as elevated temperature increases the metabolic rate of fish ( which increases appetite). Leave this way for around 5 days to get them eating good again. Another method to help fish regain vigor is to supplement food with a vitamin supplement like Vitachem.
Quint likes this.

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Everyone is looking much better. No time to upload video but went ahead and cleaned the tank, did the normal water change.

CPDs were all schooling together, little chasing one another. They ate food that i offered including frozen bloodworm treat. They still have some awkward movements, little bit of shimmy or twitch if you will but nothing like before. They even chased after a really small (<1/8") baby shrimp that ventured into the upper open area of tank.

Embers I actually saw a 3rd. The two I have scene regularly looked fine but the 3rd that appeared out of nowhere looks pretty bad, skinny compared to the other two and obviously distressed. I tried to catch it but no luck as every time it bolts down into the plants. Not sure if this guy will make it but who knows.

Everyone else looks good, OTOs are eating, shrimp are doing there thing, False Juliis are doing it so back to normal for them .

Thanks for the help Discusluv. Dont have any vitamins but will continue feeding the good foods and keep it varied. Have two types of NLS pellets so grinding those up so they can actually eat them plus bug bites, frozen bloodworms, omegaone wafers, carnival pellets which they eat some of, tetramin flake/wafer things. Running normal temp of 76.5F. May turn it up a bit but adjusting these heaters is a pain and to be honest when they are doing ok at this temp they eat like crazy.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Posted this in my tank journal figured I would post it here. Best video I have right now showing the remaining effects of the sickness/infection. I have not treated since the round of general cure. Everyone remaining seems to be doing great except the CPDs are still swimming funny/odd. They are eating good and active, just seems like they took the worst of it.

@Discusluv not sure if I should do any other treatments or just monitor and keep feeding them good.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

The video is double speed or the flow is crazy high.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
The video is double speed or the flow is crazy high.

Not sure, looks normal when I viewed it. Maybe its because I just uploaded it a little bit ago or something. Everyone was moving around pretty good due to food being available. The juliis and shrimps get into kind of a frenzy sometimes. Not the best video however.

EDIT @Edward so now I am wondering, do you think the flow could be too high? Do the plants look like they are moving too much? I built a custom spray bar for my 307 and have it pointed slightly up and forward (runs along back top of tank) so the flow ripples the top of the water then flows down the front glass and back.

I did have the flow turned down initially but I opened up the holes more so I could have the flow turned up all the way (easier to keep consistent). Just wondering if I should make some more adjustments. No one seems from what I can tell to be having issues.

Last edited by Quint; 10-26-2019 at 04:49 AM. Reason: add info
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

All fish look well fed, but they have to fight the water flow. It goes down the front glass and then horizontally on the substrate towards the back. Corydoras can handle it well, they donít care, they actually like it. But other fish cannot get to the front glass even when trying hard. Look at the video, no fish gets to the front. It must be very exhausting.

Almost all the fish except Corydoras swim kind of funny. I donít know if they learned it from the shrimps, but itís not normal. They are not swimming, they are jumping. Fish supposed to be horizontal, they are not. They are at 45 degree angle and kind of falling down then jumping back up. Also the CPDs should have straight backs but they are bend like ^. They might have had or have TB. Most likely they came from bad conditions and now are doing much better.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just monitor and concentrate on nutrition. The CPD's are emaciated from being ill, - common with this type of illness. I see no reason to think it is TB.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Discusluv so little update since its been a while. Everybody except the CPDs is back to normal. The CPDs are "almost" back to normal. They have there color back and are eating well. Some of them still have a shimmy if you will, odd swimming pattern. That being said they hang out once again in the main flow area upfront. There are some slower flow areas that they could hang out in if it was taxing them however they choose to stay out of those areas and stick to the more turbulent spots.

Been feeding them more small amounts broken into a couple times in the evening (leave to early to feed them) and they are putting on weight/size again compared to how skinny they were.

I got some of the NLS medicated food to try for a few days.

Question: Should I try one more round of general cure or wait it out and see what happens? Its very hard to vacuum the substrate in my tank so obviously cant get all the parasite eggs if any dropped or were in the sand.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like seeing good improvement!
How many days have they been on General Cure? I typically treat for 10 days when treating for Hexamita.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sounds like seeing good improvement!
How many days have they been on General Cure? I typically treat for 10 days when treating for Hexamita.

Whoops, didnt realize you were suppose to treat for that long. I just did one cycle (2 treatments over 4-5 days basically) then a good water change. Have done another water change since then.

Guess I should of asked how many treatments to do.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Whoops, didnt realize you were suppose to treat for that long. I just did one cycle (2 treatments over 4-5 days basically) then a good water change. Have done another water change since then.

Guess I should of asked how many treatments to do.
You are half way there!
Quint likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode