• 2 Post By ohaple
  • 1 Post By WaldoDude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Found baby CPD in the filter

Hey all,

So I clearing the filtration section of my Waterbox Cube as I noticed there were bugs getting stuck in the water, and I found this little guy. I did a thorough check, thinking there must be more but can't see anything else so far. I have CPDs (3 males and 1 females) in my tank and if anyone has seen my other posts, ive been having issues with them so this is a pleasant surprise. I have never seen the female look anything like it was carrying eggs or something (although im too sure about how they breed) and the fact that it was swimming around the middle section of the filtration system means that it had to have gone through the filter sock. I've only had the fish for about 3-4 weeks.

Is it possible that the female laid eggs which then got sucked into the filter intake, eventually hatching somewhere in the filter??
I quickly scooped it up and it in the main tank section, although I realise its probably going to get eaten by the others now. I'm going to try and feed it some baby brine. I also have placed a filter sponge over the intake.

On another note, over the course of the past few weeks I have noticed 2 of my crystal red shrimp get berried and then not with no sign of baby shrimp. I've assumed that they either dropped the eggs or got eaten by the CPDs, but now I'm thinking maybe they too got sucked into the filter?

Anyways thought I'd share this
vvDO likes this.

Last edited by WaldoDude; 10-08-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Better picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Planted Member

Babies can easily get sucked into the filter...I wrap a nylon sock around my intake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--UN--
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I have a filter sock behind the intake valve.
Anyways anyone know how old it is based on this better pic I got below. Also I tried feeding it baby brine shrimp but it doesn't seem to be eating them, I'm assuming it is still too small for them, any tips on what to feed? If I leave it alone will it survive of algae/ other microorganisms in the tank (if there are any)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	887875  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoDude View Post
Anyways anyone know how old it is based on this better pic I got below. Also I tried feeding it baby brine shrimp but it doesn't seem to be eating them, I'm assuming it is still too small for them, any tips on what to feed? If I leave it alone will it survive of algae/ other microorganisms in the tank (if there are any)?
Seems like a few days old. I fed mine crushed egg yolk but they would only eat it once they reach a certain size. At your size, they probably wouldn't eat anything you can feed.
WaldoDude likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--UN--
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah ok, I'll wait a bit see how much bigger it grows. Interestingly though, it seems to swim around with adults just fine, they don't seem interested in eating it, either that or they are blind haha
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
Since you have fish that breed and produce fry, you'll definitely want a pre-filter - not just a filter sock. You'll need something to prevent small critters from getting through. Sponge, fine mesh, pantyhose/stockings, something like that. Otherwise you're always going to have this problem.

Appears to still have a yolk sac (best I can tell from the photo), so it's really young. It'll probably be fine with crushed flake food but you may have to target feed it with the filter off for a few minutes.

Quote:

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh yeah, after finding the fry I have placed a filter sponge over the intake so all good for now. Prior to this I did have wire mesh over the intake because I kept finding the shrimp in the sock before that, which is why I think the fry must’ve hatched in the filter.

With regards to the remaining yolk I did notice that after doing some googling about fry. From my understanding, do they feed off that remaining yolk before eating other things?
Thank you for the tip with the fish flakes, I’ll give it a try tomorrow!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
With regards to the remaining yolk I did notice that after doing some googling about fry. From my understanding, do they feed off that remaining yolk before eating other things?
They will start looking for food after they consume the yolk. You can feed them well boiled egg yolk mixed in aquarium water. And much later Hikari First Bites and TetraMin Baby. Excellent CPD info is here.
ohaple and WaldoDude like this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
They will start looking for food after they consume the yolk. You can feed them well boiled egg yolk mixed in aquarium water. And much later Hikari First Bites and TetraMin Baby. Excellent CPD info is here.

I was about to chime in with some information, thanks for linking my thread. First time my fish information has been called "excellent". lol

That fry appears to have hatched a week or two ago. A decent timeline of their growth is in the thread linked above. I just wanted to also chime in about food. baby brine are far too large for these fry at this small stage. You will need smaller live food like paramecium, vinegar eels, or green water, or small prepared food like Golden Pearls 5micron, egg yolk, etc. If possible, make sure it is with some established moss or other plants since they already have much of the live food on them that the fry can take advantage of. You likely will not see a large group of fry and I would bet this one is the only one alive at this point. They are egg scatterers and lay only a handful at a time per female. They will eat their own fry, so only the lucky ones make it. If you keep your tank well planted and the CPD happy, you should see new fry popping up without any intervention from time to time.
Edward and WaldoDude like this.

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Edward, and yes your thread has been helpful Ohaple! I just couldn't see any timestamps associated with your pictures of the different stages, but it is definitely an interesting journey to follow.

I have managed to get it eating crushed Hikari Micro Pellets, hopefuly it grows a little bigger soon
Edward likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks Edward, and yes your thread has been helpful Ohaple! I just couldn't see any timestamps associated with your pictures of the different stages, but it is definitely an interesting journey to follow.

I have managed to get it eating crushed Hikari Micro Pellets, hopefuly it grows a little bigger soon

I don't have timestamps for the photos unfortunately. I just took shots any time I noticed that the fry looked different from a previous photo I had. Once they are free-swimming there is not much to consider besides the size of food. Before they are free swimming the only thing to do is keep them from being eaten. Unless you are actively trying to harvest eggs, you are not likely to ever see eggs or larval fry.

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:

Tags
baby cpd, found, inside filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode