• 3 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Quint
  • 1 Post By zsxking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dither/Tankmates for cardinal tetra

I have a 17 gallon high light w/ CO2 planted tank, with 12 cardinal tetra and dozens of caridina shrimp. The fish have been in the tank for over 2 weeks now, seem to doing fine and colored up. But they just hide among the woodscape for majority of the time. The shrimps are out and active though. The tank looks like just a shrimp tank with no fish in it ...

Is there anything I can do to encourage the cardinal tetras to be a bit more out going? I thought 12 is enough to have them school and feel safe, would adding even more help? Or some dither fish kind of? Most time tetras are used as dither fish, so I don't really know what's the dither fish for tetras ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The problem is the high light. Cardinals are endemic to blackwater rivers, namely the Orinocco and the Rio Negro, where the waters are tea-stained with fallen leaves and other organic materials which lowers the intensity of the light. It is only natural that they are trying to hide themselves away from the glare. Neon tetras are a better choice because they are more wide-spread; coming from both blackwater as well as clear water areas and, in my experience, will school better in high light aquariums.
evil8, aquanerd13 and fish+plants like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, it make perfect sense now that you pointed it out. Totally did not think about it before.

Now that they're in the tank, it would be too difficult to remove them for something else with rescaping the hardscapes, well maybe I should do that ...

If I were to replace them with some others that are more tolerate to high light, what others would work well? Does Forktailed Rainbow adapts to high light?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Furcata rainbow come from clear water streams so way less blackwater habitat and likely to be more active. But still some of the light levels in some tanks are well beyond what most fish will naturally feel comfortable with, especially without dense growths of long stem plants or floating plants to hide/gather around.

Furcata also prefer higher PH (7+) and higher water hardness.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My CPDs dont mind the light for the most part. Ofcourse Im not as high light as some on here, more a medium light.

The ember tetras are half and half. They spend a good portion of time hanging out with the CPDs cruising all over but also spend some time hanging out under a larger anubius leaf. They dont necessarily hide but more hang out.

My few chilli rasboras spend there time at the upper parts of the tank in the open or chillin in the dwarf water lettuce roots. I try to keep the water lettuce to 1/4 of the tank surface.

Just my experience with semi shrimp friendly fish. It is always very apparent that fish are present in the tank. None of these are as flashy as the cardinals but all look good in there own ways IMHO.
sudhirr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
My CPDs dont mind the light for the most part. Ofcourse Im not as high light as some on here, more a medium light.

The ember tetras are half and half. They spend a good portion of time hanging out with the CPDs cruising all over but also spend some time hanging out under a larger anubius leaf. They dont necessarily hide but more hang out.

My few chilli rasboras spend there time at the upper parts of the tank in the open or chillin in the dwarf water lettuce roots. I try to keep the water lettuce to 1/4 of the tank surface.

Just my experience with semi shrimp friendly fish. It is always very apparent that fish are present in the tank. None of these are as flashy as the cardinals but all look good in there own ways IMHO.
CPD is something I was considering before. Probably want to try some of them. Thanks for the pointer.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My tetras are always very shy on their own, but having a boisterous, confident (but not aggressive!) fish helps a lot. Platies work well for me for that purpose - friendly and colourful, and enthusiastic enough about food to get the tetras excited too!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsxking View Post
Is there anything I can do to encourage the cardinal tetras to be a bit more out going?
Floating plants might help. I haven't tried with cardinals but in my experience shy fish feel a lot more comfortable with some plant surface cover.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Careful with things like platties. Not all but many will knom on shrimps. They are very opportunistic feeders.

Floating plants, things like CPDs maybe, lowering light intensity.

Golden pencilfish may also be of some help however not sure how they are with shrimp. They leave my amanos alone, they have little mouths, however not sure how they would react with small shrimp. My CPDs and Ember tetras dont touch anything once its over about 1/8-3/16" long. Atleast they ignore them when I am around. Usually once the shrimps are that big they do fine unless they swim into a julii mouth.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did try to reduce the light intensity from 18w to 13w for the last 3 hours of the photoperiod, while I'm at home. They do seem less stress in that lighting. They still hanging in or round the hardscape, but almost all of them come out for feeding today, as opposite to just a few or even none of them coming out before. I also made the intensity changes more gradual. Hope they will be more adapted as time goes.
Discusluv likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

You just try making photoperiod longer but at less intensity and longer ramp up and down times.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsxking View Post
CPD is something I was considering before. Probably want to try some of them. Thanks for the pointer.

CPDs are very playful but they are not schooling fish. Also they seem spooked with any movement around the tank. Once settled they come out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good catch, @Quint - I missed that there were shrimp in the tank, too.

My tetras never seemed to relax, even with lower lighting and more plant cover, unless I had a calm and outgoing fish in there with them... I wonder if there are any small (safe for shrimp) fish that would fit that description?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Algae Grower

I have my Cardinals in a brightly lit tank BUT I blocked 1/4 of the width of the light so there’s a dark corner. Some stay shy but most come out. It also takes mine 30-60 min in the morning to “wake up” and get active, so my lights are on a timer for a split day so I can feed twice. (5-7 am, fed 6-6:30, and 3-9 pm so they’re up when we are actually home)

"I am no better and neither are you. We are the same whatever we do.
You love me, you hate me, you know me and then, you can't figure out the bag I'm in.
I am everyday people."
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:06 AM
Planted Member

Add more Cardinals, and give them time to settle. I had 13 in a 33-Long and they hid for a few months. Then they were always out waiting for food. About half of them have gone due to old age at this point, and the 7 that remain are always in the back behind the various palm fronds or driftwood pieces. More fish, more patience.

Go Timbers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode