• 1 Post By ladykemma2
  • 1 Post By JJ09
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
What fish will eat duckweed?

After getting some dime-sized baby angels, I used a couple of sponges to dampen the flow from my HOB since they can't tolerate too much water agitation. Within a week, I had an outbreak of duckweed I didn't know I had. Appeared out of nowhere. Guess the surface agitation from the HOB had kept them from multiplying. But now....

I've heard mollies will eat duckweed. Will they, and not munch on other plants as well? If so, any particular varieties/species that are better than others? I like the colorful Gold Dust Mollies--which are supposedly a variety of P. sphenops. But the only local source is Petco, and I'm terrified of introducing any pathogens to my baby angels. Don't have a quarantine tank set up, but I could quarantine 2-3 in a 5 gal bucket with some plants for a month if I had to--and I could be assured they'd do their job of duckweed control to make it worth the hassle

I like the idea of having some livebearers with my angels as their fry will provide a study supply of live food for them. Already have a host of guppies, but they don't seem to have any appetite for duckweed, sadly.

Any suggestions/experience welcomed--thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 06:07 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have actively fed it to larger goldfish and silver dollars, but can't think of anything to put in a planted tank that would eat that and not anything else. Hopefully someone knows of such a fish -I'd get some myself!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 06:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
American flagfish, pretty too. Also eats lots of algae types as well.

Quackery likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
American flagfish, pretty too. Also eats lots of algae types as well.

Thanks, @DaveKS. Do you have any experience keeping this fish with duckweed, and if it eats duckweed but not other plants?

I'd heard of it, but the info online is either vague or inconsistent: SeriouslyFish says it is a micropredator "although algae and other plant material is taken as well." Other sources say they eat softer stem plants, others don't. There is a cool video on youtube of them eating hair algae, but nothing about duckweed

Was hoping someone on here might have had personal experience with mollies eating duckweed (or not)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've had silver mollies and some gold sailfins that never touched it. Either that or it was growing far faster than they were eating it. The only fish I've seen actively eating it were goldfish. You don't know anyone with some chickens do you?
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

When I had flagfish I didn’t have duckweed, in fact I have always avoided duckweed same as I avoid herpes. But I never had them bother plants, but they’ll even eat staghorn algae.

I was just going on what I read about them eating duckweed.
Desert Pupfish and Quackery like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Algae Grower

Sigh, I wish I could grow duckweed... My mollies devour it.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I've had silver mollies and some gold sailfins that never touched it. Either that or it was growing far faster than they were eating it. The only fish I've seen actively eating it were goldfish. You don't know anyone with some chickens do you?
I'd heard that about chickens. I'd gladly trade duckweed for some eggs LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
Sigh, I wish I could grow duckweed... My mollies devour it.
Nice to hear. What kind of mollies do you have?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
emperor tetra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
emperor tetra
Hadn't heard that they were herbivores. There are a couple of tetras called emperor tetra--are we talking about Nematobrycon palmeri?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
I'd heard that about chickens. I'd gladly trade duckweed for some eggs LOL

Nice to hear. What kind of mollies do you have?
Dalmation, gold dust, creamsicle, black, all the varieties from PetSmart

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I used to give my extra duckweed to a friend who has rainbowfish. He says they gobble it up.

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have two pico utility tanks with Fluval skimmers, just to pull off duckweed for any plants I drop in there. Maybe I need a rainbowfish tank!

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Hadn't heard that they were herbivores. There are a couple of tetras called emperor tetra--are we talking about Nematobrycon palmeri?
Almost all fish are omnivores
(of course there are some exceptions).

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode