I've "made" some really red white cloud minnows - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Blue Ridge Reef

Those look awesome, my favorite fish btw. About how many generations would you guess it took to get that much red? Wish I lived near you, I'd love to get my hands on some of those White Clouds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAnumber1 View Post
@Blue Ridge Reef

Those look awesome, my favorite fish btw. About how many generations would you guess it took to get that much red? Wish I lived near you, I'd love to get my hands on some of those White Clouds.
It's kind of hard to answer that. These are probably 7th generation I'd say, but I didn't start breeding for red color until I started noticing more of it. The first few years were just, "pick the prettiest ones," but as more salmon colored ones would show up, those were what I chose. The fry in the pond this year were from my very reddest handful of them, so hopefully a good percentage of them color up this way.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post

Same thought as above, I feel pretty confident I could ship younger ones (especially overnight) when things cool off here soon. It makes me feel terrible to leave so many fry in the pond, none have ever overwintered.
So, no LFS nearby that would take these? I'd feel really bad too having an overstock like that that can't be placed.

Breeding is one of the fun parts of the hobby but not so much if there are too many to find homes for. I'm fortunate to have a LFS that will usually give cash or credit for fish I've bred, although I don't often have this problem. I did run into it several years ago with BNP's but I had to grow them out to a certain size first. I stopped after about 4 spawns as I didn't have room to continue to keep the fry long enough and they were breeding continuously.

I've got some yellow tiger endlers now that are going crazy so I expect I'll be able to offer them to my LFS in the coming months and hopefully they'll want them.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Sadly, pretty much everything that isn't a chain store has closed down in my area.

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
It's looking like 1st weekend of June before I'll be back to KY. I could do a little research into shipping costs but wouldn't want to try it before it cools down a bit.

Same thought as above, I feel pretty confident I could ship younger ones (especially overnight) when things cool off here soon. It makes me feel terrible to leave so many fry in the pond, none have ever overwintered.

June would be ok I have all the time in the world as I am retired now.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

I've had this question for a while and maybe this would be a good thread to ask it in.

Why aren't there more varieties of white clouds? With how hardy they are and easy to breed I'm surprised there isn't a nearly completely red variety, or varieties with lots of orange or yellow, or ones that keep the blue stripe they have when they are young.

What's holding them back? How great would it be to have a fish with the flashy coloring of a neon terta and the toughness of a white cloud.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAnumber1 View Post
I've had this question for a while and maybe this would be a good thread to ask it in.

Why aren't there more varieties of white clouds? With how hardy they are and easy to breed I'm surprised there isn't a nearly completely red variety, or varieties with lots of orange or yellow, or ones that keep the blue stripe they have when they are young.

What's holding them back? How great would it be to have a fish with the flashy coloring of a neon terta and the toughness of a white cloud.
If I had to guess, it is because they have a reputation as something barely above feeders. A boring, beginner fish.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

^I think that's a big part of it. Also, I suspect some fish are just more prone to express genetic mutations than others. Lots of traits are hereditary, such as the simple recessive long finned gene. Others are selectively bred for traits, like the reds I'm hoping to eventually achieve with these. I think they can go a long way to getting more red if I (or someone else) were to be more careful about only keeping the reddest ones for breeding stock. But as @straha20 pointed out, they're still a white cloud, and won't likely be particularly valuable. It would be a lot of work and years of selective breeding for a fish that would still probably retail under $5.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

We'll then I guess it is up to us. I'm starting with pretty vanilla stock but am on my second generation. Hopefully in a few years I'll make enough progress that it will be worth trading stock. I want their yellow band widened out as-well, some of mine look fantastic.

I also have one that literally can only make left turns, named it Nascar. Probably won't breed for that though lol.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Every couple of years I take the prettiest handful of my white clouds and remove them to breed. I originally got this batch in around 2008-2009, and have been kind of selectively breeding them (not very strictly). The last few years they have colored up a ton from what is in my profile pic. The males have more salmon red color and it shows up best when they are flashing at one another. Nothing too outrageous, just thought it was neat. And hopefully in a few more generations of doing this, it will continue to improve.
TRADEMARK it and make MILLIONS of $$$!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--UN--
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Every couple of years I take the prettiest handful of my white clouds and remove them to breed. I originally got this batch in around 2008-2009, and have been kind of selectively breeding them (not very strictly). The last few years they have colored up a ton from what is in my profile pic. The males have more salmon red color and it shows up best when they are flashing at one another. Nothing too outrageous, just thought it was neat. And hopefully in a few more generations of doing this, it will continue to improve.
Nice pictures, but I prefer the naturally colored white clouds.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
...pointed out, they're still a white cloud, and won't likely be particularly valuable. It would be a lot of work and years of selective breeding for a fish that would still probably retail under $5.
Who knows? Glo-fish are just zebra danios and Red Clouds are way cooler, IMO. Not $5 cooler, but easily an extra dollar cooler...

I see regular WCMM for 1.50- 1.99, I think these would do well at 3.29 or ten for 30 just because they're unique. Just sayin...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarquis View Post
Nice pictures, but I prefer the naturally colored white clouds.
Well, these aren't artificially colored! But I get that not every thing is for everybody and there are plenty of normally colored white clouds out there for folks who prefer them.
Kubla likes this.

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Rachel O'Leary got the shipment and did a video. Pretty cool to see my fish on TV!

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wow, some beautiful fish youíve developed, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode