75g stock ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
75g stock ideas

I’m establishing a 75g right now, going to be a few months before I get fish for it while I wait for the tank and plants to balance itself. I’m wanting to go native and maybe do a group of pumpkinseed sunfish, or a couple of bluegill. I can get them cheap and imo the sunfish look great.

The problem is I have no idea how they’ll be in a planted tank. Ideally my tank is going to be filled with plants, mainly jungle Val,dwarf sag, and other here and there plants.

Worst case I’d get a group of electric blue acaras.

I’m open to suggestions I just like to keep the same fish. Not a community tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs3 View Post
Iím establishing a 75g right now, going to be a few months before I get fish for it while I wait for the tank and plants to balance itself. Iím wanting to go native and maybe do a group of pumpkinseed sunfish, or a couple of bluegill. I can get them cheap and imo the sunfish look great.

The problem is I have no idea how theyíll be in a planted tank. Ideally my tank is going to be filled with plants, mainly jungle Val,dwarf sag, and other here and there plants.

Worst case Iíd get a group of electric blue acaras.

Iím open to suggestions I just like to keep the same fish. Not a community tank.

Iíve read that acaras will dig when they spawn, which can ruin a planted tank. What about a group of keyhole cichlids or Bolivian rams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reminder bluegill can get pretty big, sunfish decent size. They build nest as big as half a 75g tank, will move stuff around to make there homes when not nesting. If ur planning on a decent planted tank I would opt for something else.

Where u at geographically speaking.

Wait I see Louisiana, not sure what all is around there of smaller guys. Pygmy sunfish but I am sure there are a bunch of small stuff to find.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-17-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. My location is ny now. I recently moved. As for the recommendations so far, I’d like something of size but obviously comfortable with the tank.
I had good results with an acara in the past but only had one in a 40g, so that’s good to know about breeding.

As for the sunfish they average at 7inches. But I’ve caught slightly larger in the past.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs3 View Post
I’m establishing a 75g right now, going to be a few months before I get fish for it while I wait for the tank and plants to balance itself. I’m wanting to go native and maybe do a group of pumpkinseed sunfish, or a couple of bluegill. I can get them cheap and imo the sunfish look great.

The problem is I have no idea how they’ll be in a planted tank. Ideally my tank is going to be filled with plants, mainly jungle Val,dwarf sag, and other here and there plants.

Worst case I’d get a group of electric blue acaras.

I’m open to suggestions I just like to keep the same fish. Not a community tank.
I'd avoid the sunfish. I have tried them (pumpkinseed, bluegill, warmouth) and the tank looked great from a distance but every time I walked up on the tank they'd thrash around and shake everything loose, cloud the water, plants would be floating, etc. It was no fun for me or them, it was the opposite of relaxing. All of mine were 3, 4 inches or so when I added them, maybe netting some newborns in spring would have been more successful. My experience felt like trying to tame feral cats

As far as native fish, Darters may be an idea. There's also some cool looking minnows/shiners, chubs, dace that may be less rambunctious in a planted tank

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 09-16-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: to edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode