Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sick fish? Pt.2

Water parameters are as follows. Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5 to 10 ppm
Ph - between 7.4 and 7.6
25% water changes weekly.

I have been dosing with API Pimafix for 4 days and have seen 0 improvement. Other neons in the tank have this, however this guy has it the worst.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_135922_1568398181941.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	886957  

Name:	20190913_140025_1568398216868.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	886959  

Name:	20190913_134448_1568398249749.jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	886961  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Algae Grower

What's the temperature of the water?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarissaT View Post
What's the temperature of the water?
75 degrees F

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
A recommendation for treatment was given in this previous post.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...ck-fish-2.html
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

My general rule of thumb when there's something not right with fish is bump up water changes. Might want to try a 40% change now and then another in three or so days. Also maybe up the temp a bit...I'm thinking around 78-79 might be better for a while until it resolves. Sometimes warmer water (within reason) can help the fish's immune system a bit. If that doesn't start to show some improvement after a few days you need something for fungus. Since this seems to be recurring, is is possible the fish are being injured in some way? Fungus will sometimes grow on damaged tissue.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would not up temperature-- at all.
The reason why is this: When you see fungus this is a secondary condition to the presence of bacteria. The fungus proliferates where the bacteria has settled in and compromised tissues, fins, scales. Bacteria is temperature dependent- the higher the temperature the quicker bacteria is able to replicate itself and spread. True fungal infections are extremely rare in the aquarium-- but, secondary fungus is very common.

Sure, there are times when raising temperature to increase metabolic rate is warranted- such as when your fish are suffering from a condition like Hexamita, but this is not a case when raising temperature is beneficial.

As far as water changes as treatment at this stage--- maybe, could try that. The water changes should be 25% daily, however, not 25% weekly. But, first, to determine if water changes alone are enough ( at this point- circumstances could have changed since the last time OP asked for help)) for treatment you need to know what other symptoms fish displaying.

Are they eating?
Are they schooling normally with other fish and not hiding?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Banned

That is kinda weird. The fins aren't rotting as much on the tips, more on the base of the tail. It looks like fungus. It is kinda fuzzy and puffy looking on the lower lobe of the caudal fin.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The fish are eating and schooling normally. And please don't think I discarded your recommendation Discusluv. I'm just worried for the well being of my fish is all.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone87 View Post
The fish are eating and schooling normally. And please don't think I discarded your recommendation Discusluv. I'm just worried for the well being of my fish is all.
Personally, I would treat with the fungal medication.
But, if you would like to try water changes first that would be fine too. I would also add a very small amount of non-iodized or aquarium salt to aquarium to act as an anti-bacterial. 1 tsp per 5 gallon should be sufficient for neons. Do 25% water changes daily for 5 days and add back salt for amount taken out through these water changes. At the end of 5 days, reassess at how fish responding to this line of treatment.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

The cloudiness of tank water and the excess amount of nematode I see crawling on glass in 2nd pic makes me suspect there’s something foul going on in tank. I know you have a soiled tank, how deep is soil and what did you cap it with? Also what kind of water circulation do you have in tank?

Have a whole tank picture?
aquanerd13 likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
The cloudiness of tank water and the excess amount of nematode I see crawling on glass in 2nd pic makes me suspect there’s something foul going on in tank. I know you have a soiled tank, how deep is soil and what did you cap it with? Also what kind of water circulation do you have in tank?

Have a whole tank picture?
Soil is roughly 1/2 inch deep, capped with 1 inch of 2-3 mm gravel. The cloudyness may be from the stupid Pimafix I've been using 😞 I think those are just bubbles from my HOB in the second pic. I don't have any other cifculation other than the filter. This picture is from 4 days ago before I started the Pimafix.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190909_160104_1568413882546.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	886965  

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well the nematodes are not a bad thing, harmless Panagrellus, in fact the fish should be scarfing them down. Same type nematode people raise for fish food, microworms.

The cap in pic is in no way a 2-3mm cap, unless you have it under that layer I see on top which I’d put at 5-6mm. But even though it may not be proper pore grade for cap and allow humic substances to leach into water column faster than desired that still doesn’t account for what your neons are showing. Neons love blackwater’ish envirements, Rasbora as well. Are Rasbora also showing same symptoms? What is actual substrate you used for cap?

What is actual brand of soil you used? I read in your other post it being Miracle Grow Top Soil but I can not find any product on their page called Top Soil.

But as I gather from your previous threads/post fish were healthy when you brought them home, acclimated well it seems, you built up population of your stock in small increments, your water change routine seems fine for that type tank. But yet even though you’ve pretty much done everything by the book except for maybe not using right size substrate for cap (?) things have gone down hill with fish rapidly in last 2 mo.

Only thing I see that worries me is high PH, the soil should have that well under 7 by now, should probably in 6.6-6.8 range. Soil you used doesn’t have bone meal and other additives in it does it?

Your plants look healthy and thriving, pretty much algae free in tank which is what you should see in blackwater/soil tanks.

What is your water source and what does its PH/GH/KH read after degassing in a bucket for 24hrs?

Can you think of some change you made in tank where after it these problems started?

There’s something amiss here, neons should be healthy, happy and thriving in that type of tank.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:56 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I advised against Pimafix by name in the last thread. I have never seen it work, in my own store tanks nor following tons of threads here and elsewhere. API fungus guard would be a much better option, and if at all possible treat in a quarantine tank. Worst case, you lose the neons, but this should lessen the chances of your other fish getting ill.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode