Clown pleco/ other plecos eat driftwood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Clown pleco/ other plecos eat driftwood?

Someone recommended to get a clown pleco for my 10gal tank since they are smaller. But I heard that they eat driftwood and possibly shrimp.
I would love to put a nice driftwood piece in my tank since it's going to be a planted one, but I don't want the clown pleco or any other pleco or algae eater to destroy it.
Are there any ways to deal with this? Are there any other algae eater fish that you recommend for me?
Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

Note: my substrate is Flourite Black Sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You mileage may vary, or others might say differently. But I have a dwarf Starlight Pleco, with Ottos, and Pygmy Corys in my 13.5g that has a ton of shrimp.

So far so good, I bought a Java fern that was attached to a piece of driftwood to put in the tank. So far no issues, everyone's happy.

Adult shrimp being eaten are usually unwell, or failing to molt. That said, I did catch a planaria slithering around which also could have caused the shrimp to be stunned, then the cleanup crew kicked in.

I've seen the same with Tetras, they fall sick or die and the cleanup crew which include shrimp to go town on them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you have ever had a wood-eating pleco( as in ingesting, not just rasping algae and aufwich biofilm off of wood surfaces) --such as a clown pleco or a flash pleco you will wonder how such a little fish can produce so much waste. Ive had both fish, and didnt think I would be bothered by the vast amount of waste ( sawdust!) produced- but, even I was bothered. It is unsightly, especially for those that like to keep a well manicured aquarium.
But, these wood eating plecos dont just survive on eating wood, they also need that algae and biofilm and protein in their diets. Alot of aquarists go wrong with plecos. Many have specialized diets that need to be considered, grow very large in the aquarium, or can become aggressive with other bottom dwelling fish if not proper care isn't given to territory markers.

If you do not like unsightly, copious waste on substrate, do not get a Clown Pleco. Or any of the truly wood-ingesting types. I would recommend going to this site to find a pleco species that will work for you. A 10 gallon tank is quite small for a pleco, so the choices will be few unless plan to move this fish when becomes too large. Go into "Cat-eLog"- tab at top of page. Plug in information in this search tool. It will provide some choices for your set-up.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormarie213 View Post

Note: my substrate is Black Sand
On black sand you won't really notice the poop, but if you choose to get one I would still hover over the substrate and vacuum up what you can. On light colored sand I would never get one personally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

Tags
clown pleco, driftwood, planted tank, pleco, sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode