2Likes
  • 1 Post By taylormarie213
  • 1 Post By aquanerd13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Algae Eaters?

Hello! I would love a small algae eater that will go good in a 10 g planted aquarium with black sand substrate. I used Flourite Black Sand by Seachem.

I know plecos get huge so I'll stay away from them. I heard that a couple of otocinculus might be good but I don't know if they'll do well cleaning algae, but that's just info I got from Petsmart. I also heard cory catfish are good too.

What about cherry or ghost shrimp? Do they do a good job? and how many? I don't want them to multiply!
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:08 AM
Banned

I beg you to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER listen to pet store employees and their so-called 'advice'. Common plecos get at least 3-4 feet long. Cory catfish don't eat algae. That is to small for Otocinclus or Corydoras. What fish do you have? What filter? Is it heated? Planted? Shimp or snails would be good. Is the tank cycled? Why do you not want shrimp to multiply? If your fish do well, they will multiply. Breeding is a sign of good health and a happy pet.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hi, welcome to TPT!

Corydoras are not good algae eaters, unfortunately.
But, otos, shrimp, and snails ( Im not sure which snails are best, myself, but Im sure others will pipe in and make recommendations) are good at eating algae.
The problem is each of these algae eaters ( with exception of the snails , maybe?) needs a tank that has grown in a good deal of algae, biofilm, and such to do well.
How long has your tank been up? Cycled?
Do you plan on adding any other fish?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I beg you to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER listen to pet store employees and their so-called 'advice'. Common plecos get at least 3-4 feet long. Cory catfish don't eat algae. That is to small for Otocinclus or Corydoras. What fish do you have? What filter? Is it heated? Planted? Shimp or snails would be good. Is the tank cycled? Why do you not want shrimp to multiply? If your fish do well, they will multiply. Breeding is a sign of good health and a happy pet.
Dont forget to send a friendly wave and a hello to the new member!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 AM
Banned

Snails should be good as long as you have a good amount of biofilm. They will also need algae wafers if they eat all the algae.

Bump: Oh right. WELCOME TO THE PLANTED TANK AND THE HOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!D
I wish you a happy hobby and maybe not baby fish
Discusluv likes this.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Snails should be good as long as you have a good amount of biofilm. They will also need algae wafers if they eat all the algae.

Bump: Oh right. WELCOME TO THE PLANTED TANK AND THE HOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!D

I wish you a happy hobby and maybe not baby fish

Very good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 AM
Banned

Thank you

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just FYI Cory cats do like to nibble on algae, they just arent a OTO or snail.

The problem I ran into with my OTOs in my 10g was they stripped it in less then a week. It was covered in diatoms and some green algae. I put in 2 or 3 OTOs and they destroyed it. I have to move them over to my 40B so they had some good algae to eat.

Just be aware if you get OTOs your gonna probably have to feed them some veggies and hope they eat them (assuming thats the only tank).

Tags
algae eater, planted aquarium, sand, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode