• 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By LiQuiD SmoKe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adopted Sick Fish

I found an add recently where someone was tearing down their over crowded, poorly managed tank, and giving away all their fish. I jumped on it, because they had some nice discus available. I also got 5 large angels from them, and one of them has a bug of some sort, but I dont think its Ich. I have seen ich before and this is more fluffy and larger..almost like little cotton balls. I am currently keeping all of them in my back up tank, and treating with Melafix and heat for now. Here is the gang...

One of the angels has the sickness. All others are good. They were very small white spots when I first got him. Now its grown to this in less than a week.

Somethin fishy goin on here? No, everything's burgery. - Jim Gaffigan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Algae Grower

Cotton wool infection perhaps? Or maybe Mouth Fungus?
LiQuiD SmoKe likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is Hexamita ( aka "Hole in the head"). Ive seen this many times before in my discus- angelfish are also very prone to the disease.

Do you have a smaller tank you can put this fish in to treat?
Is the fish eating?

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Agree with Hexamita. Melafix will do nothing at all for it (or much else, IMO). Order metronidazole (Flagyl), and keep their water pristine is the best course of action that I've found. Don't run carbon during treatment. Scarring and pits may be permanent but you usually can stop the erosion of flesh. If you can get Flagyl into their food in addition to treating the water, all the better. Folks on Oscar forums give strong medicated baths of it, but I don't know the strengths used.
LiQuiD SmoKe and Discusluv like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Agreed, the metronidazole is whats needed. If have hospital tank I would also treat with methelyne blue or product like Paraguard which contains meth blue and acriflavine ( safe to use in combination with metronidazole) for external secondary bacteria/fungul issues. This is quite severe in photo.

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its gotten worse in the last 24 hours. I have never dealt with anything like this before... Is this what Pop eye looks like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Agree with Hexamita. Melafix will do nothing at all for it (or much else, IMO). Order metronidazole (Flagyl), and keep their water pristine is the best course of action that I've found. Don't run carbon during treatment. Scarring and pits may be permanent but you usually can stop the erosion of flesh. If you can get Flagyl into their food in addition to treating the water, all the better. Folks on Oscar forums give strong medicated baths of it, but I don't know the strengths used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
This is Hexamita ( aka "Hole in the head"). Ive seen this many times before in my discus- angelfish are also very prone to the disease.

Do you have a smaller tank you can put this fish in to treat?
Is the fish eating?
Quote:
Agreed, the metronidazole is whats needed. If have hospital tank I would also treat with methelyne blue or product like Paraguard which contains meth blue and acriflavine ( safe to use in combination with metronidazole) for external secondary bacteria/fungul issues. This is quite severe in photo.

Thank you all for the great advice. I unfortunately do not have a different tank to put him in. I keep this 75 for emergencies because I have a 125. If I add this medication to the 75 gal, will it kill my plants? Its no big deal if so, I can remove them. What about treating in a bucket with an air stone??

I dont have aot of extra scratch I can spend right now, so trying to do this on the cheap.

As for the medication, I see alot of different options. Will these work?

OR this one??

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-11-2019 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The Maracyn will not work, no. It is erythromycin which is primarily for gram positive bacteria. Most bacteria in aquarium is gram negative.
Kanamycin would be a better choice. kanamycin also works really well with metronidazole- can be dosed together safely.

Metronidazole will not harm plants or biofilter. It is a relatively mild medication but very effective on Hexamita.
But, it needs to be dosed at the proper rate and for 10 days.
I have never used metronidazole outside the powder form- so unfamiliar with the dosage rates of the one you have linked to.
@Blue Ridge Reef may be able to help you here.

Another thing to note: metronidazole is very easily offset by organics in the water and is best treated as ingested. Is this fish still eating?
If not, it can be dosed in water column but will need to do at least a 25% water change before each dose. Also, if you could get some methelyne blue and dip the fish in this every couple days ( if not using kanamycin)while treating would aid healing in tissues around the head. Methelyene blue is pretty inexpensive at LFS.

All Low-tech:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The Maracyn will not work, no. It is erythromycin which is primarily for gram positive bacteria. Most bacteria in aquarium is gram negative.
Kanamycin would be a better choice. kanamycin also works really well with metronidazole- can be dosed together safely.

Metronidazole will not harm plants or biofilter. It is a relatively mild medication but very effective on Hexamita.
But, it needs to be dosed at the proper rate and for 10 days.
I have never used metronidazole outside the powder form- so unfamiliar with the dosage rates of the one you have linked to.
@Blue Ridge Reef may be able to help you here.

Another thing to note: metronidazole is very easily offset by organics in the water and is best treated as ingested. Is this fish still eating?
If not, it can be dosed in water column but will need to do at least a 25% water change before each dose. Also, if you could get some methelyne blue and dip the fish in this every couple days ( if not using kanamycin)while treating would aid healing in tissues around the head. Methelyene blue is pretty inexpensive at LFS.
Thank you again for your help....Sadly, the fish passed today. I cant believe how fast it all happened, but I can safely say I acquired him like that, and its not from my tank. Going to do a 50% water change tomorrow. All other fish seem good.
Discusluv likes this.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm sorry for your loss.

Proud member of
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuiD SmoKe View Post
Thank you again for your help....Sadly, the fish passed today. I cant believe how fast it all happened, but I can safely say I acquired him like that, and its not from my tank. Going to do a 50% water change tomorrow. All other fish seem good.
Ahhh- thats too bad. It happens.

Keep an eye out for the other fish. Make sure all are eating and acting normally depending on species.

All Low-tech:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode