19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1. Neons
2. Neons
3. Neons
Micro... Stunning, gentle, timid and beautiful fish... Do we need more.

Kidding, there are so many beautiful and stunning tetras... I also love my glowlights, they are more beautiful in certain settings and lighting conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
1. Neons
2. Neons
3. Neons
Micro... Stunning, gentle, timid and beautiful fish... Do we need more.

Haha! I have to agree with this.
sudhirr likes this.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Except cardinals > green neons > black neons > neons

ipkiss likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Emperor tetras
Red Phantoms
Bleeding Hearts.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Except cardinals > green neons > black neons > neons

Way too sensitive for my liking.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think any of them are any more sensitive than the others.

post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

Cardinals are nice - always prefer cardinals over neon and better yet they do well with rams and other 'warm' species. Not unhappy with serpae 'cept their fins end up ragged. Undecided if I like congo or lemons or black or phantom or skirt or .... i had green tetra once but i think the sword-tails ate em - little things - did i mention cardinals are nice ?
-
Maybe there should be two threads - south american tetra and african tetra - i mean they seem really different to me even if they are all tetra.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

There are way fewer African tetras available in the trade than South American tetras though that has fortunately been changing quite a bit the past few years. I love African tetras. Fortunately now because of mail ordering online and because more are being imported you can get some really cool types of African tetras that in the past used to be infrequently available.

post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Except for Rummynose, none mentioned are schooling fish. Most tetra will shoal on and off, and male will engage in territorial battle. Tetra look alike rasboras and danios are better schooler.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Planted Member

Right now I have Green Neons, Glowlights and a couple of adopted XRays. If I had the room I'd setup a tank with a huge school of sliver tipped tetras.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Except for Rummynose, none mentioned are schooling fish. Most tetra will shoal on and off, and male will engage in territorial battle. Tetra look alike rasboras and danios are better schooler.
Any group of fish that stays together for social reasons is said to be shoaling, and if the shoal is swimming in the same direction together, it is schooling. About one quarter of fish shoal all their lives, and about one half of fish shoal for part of their lives.

I don't know where this schooling vs. shoaling thing comes from on the internet but shoaling fish do school. Usually when evading predators. In some species the behavior is more pronounced but most of them will do it under the right circumstances. There is a distinction where some fish primarily school (like anchovies) vs. most tetras which primarily shoal but most tetras do school sometimes.

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
There is a distinction where some fish primarily school (like anchovies) vs. most tetras which primarily shoal but most tetras do school sometimes.
There are many true schooling marine fish, but rare among freshwater fish. Rummynose, rasborus, white cloud minnow, and roseline barb that typically carry directional markings are some of the few true schooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Right now I have Green Neons, Glowlights and a couple of adopted XRays. If I had the room I'd setup a tank with a huge school of sliver tipped tetras.
I had silver tip before. In a small group of 6, they were aggressive and constantly battled with one another, and even attacked similar size but peaceful rummynose when the number dropped by attrition.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
I had silver tip before. In a small group of 6, they were aggressive and constantly battled with one another...
I've heard that happens and why a large school in a large tank should be better than I could ever do. A big school of little fish looks really sweet.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pristellas are tight schoolers, non-agressive, undemanding & extremely attractive - an all round great tetra.

Where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday?
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I don't think any of them are any more sensitive than the others.

From what I've heard, Cardinal tetras are almost entirely wild caught if I'm correct, so yes, that would technically make them more sensitive then the rest.

Also... another fish I've kept that were pretty cool were Head & Tail light tetras. Used to keep 'em years ago. I never really see them anywhere to be honest.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode