The Planted Tank Forum banner

Breeding / Raising Habrosus Corys

6K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Jamo33 
#1 ·
The habrosus corys in my main tank (journal here) laid eggs on the 9th Aug. I thought I'd do a thread with pictures.

I transferred 20 to a HOB breeder (without the flow through just small water changes and added some cappata leaves and let the water stain). Removed five due to fugus and the rest hatched 14th Aug at which point it's now set to flow water through from my main tank. Also added a dinky baby cherry shrimp and a couple of pest snails as clean up crew.

I've got a new microworm culture, but I'm not 100% sure when to start feeding? Does that look like they still have a bit of egg sack left?

I'd be very interested in any tips/suggestions on successfully raising them.

Adults spawning (09/08/2019):

Just hatched (14/08/2019):

Right now (15/08/2019 - 1.5 days old)

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#3 ·
They may still be getting nourishment from their yolk sack. Or grazing biofilm off the leaf, its great you have that in there with them

If you move the leaf, do they scurry? Have you offered them the microworms yet and they ignored it?

#7 ·
Looks nice and plump to me. Not sure if that's yolk, or from eating film, microfauna, etc but looks like a nice round belly. If you have any mosses in other tanks, you could throw some in for more grazing opportunity but I think you're doing great

#8 ·
I would be inclined to say that is egg sac remaining. Their behavior should change once it is entirely absorbed. Much with any fry that are feeding off their yolks, their need to scavenge is not at its highest until it is fully absorbed. I would say in a day or 2 they should begin to behave differently, looking for food etc.

#9 ·
Thanks, that's reassuring :)

I've cropped a bit of moss/algae from a little tank I have on my window sill and added that - it's mostly algae but I figure it will do the same job.

I will leave off adding any more microworms until they move about a bit more - I can still see some wriggling from yesterday with a magnifying glass and I don't want to overfeed.

#10 ·
Most important thing I have learnt when dealing with breeding new to me fish. Failure, whilst disappointing and annoying, can at times give us more knowledge that success. So, though I truly wish you success, do not be disheartened if they do not thrive.
You seem like you are being very cautious and doing everything you can. I encourage reading the threads on here and elsewhere about breeding these guys, it will probably show you the stages and methods used for greater survival rates etc.
Keep us posted!
Up the aussie, coming for test 2 now!

#12 ·
Day 10 - Still dinky but growing

I think I lost some down the overflow back into the tank - I can only find about five in there (no bodies) and there was a gap I've now plugged. Kicking myself, but they may well survive in the tank as there is a lot of cover... going to be awhile before they are big enough to spot though!

Those left are doing great, I'm feeding microworms in the morning which last about 24 hours and a little dust from the sides of a fluval bug bites container to give a bit of variety.

Attachments

#15 ·
Cant help with the dwarfs but my false juliis breed all the time (every water change, every big feeding it seems, any excuse). I dont collect the eggs or anything and just let it happen in basically a community tank. So far one has made it to adult hood and there are now two juveniles about 3/4". The smart babies seem to stay hidden and feed off everything in the tank then once they reach about 1/4" or bigger they get brave and mix in during feeding time.

Like suggested I think moss or similar from established tank goes a long ways as even the adults graze off plants and what not in the tank. Good luck.

#16 ·
Thanks. They haven't bred again yet, but it's been very hot here. The weather is meant to break and cool down tomorrow so I might do a water change tonight and see if the cooler temp sets them off - I've read that's a trigger.

It will be interesting to see if babies do pop up in the tank. The ones in the tub are still very tiny so I'm guessing it's going to be weeks before any pop their noses out if they are there.

#17 ·
I usually try to match the temp but a degree or two lower seems to do the trick. Honestly as soon as I start siphoning the tank they start getting frisky and by the time I am adding water they are at it. One female really likes laying eggs on bottom of plant leaves and one of the others likes the glass and moss. Occasionally I will notice one or two babies (under 1/8") but its rare and if they are out and about when super small they dont usually make it. Generally I wont see the little guys until they are looking like 1/4" corys. At that point they usually do fine. Lots of plants and moss seem to do the trick.

I think since I have more CPDs and they are established now that they hunt alot more. Ive noticed much less shrimp babies as well so assume they are being hungry little buggers.

#18 ·
Nope, mine are on strike - they haven't spawned again since.

Babies (2.5 weeks) are doing well though. Getting bigger in a relative sort of way - they look like tiny corys but they really are teeny still.

Just for reference, here is a picture of the breeding box they are in too. It's a marina/superfish one but I'm feeding water in via an airline elastic banded to a small powered sponge filter rather than an airpump. I've flipped the intake tube around and fed the airline into it so water enters bottom left and exits top right. I've syphoning the bottom a little every other day too.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.