Breeding / Raising Habrosus Corys - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Breeding / Raising Habrosus Corys

The habrosus corys in my main tank (journal here) laid eggs on the 9th Aug. I thought I'd do a thread with pictures.

I transferred 20 to a HOB breeder (without the flow through just small water changes and added some cappata leaves and let the water stain). Removed five due to fugus and the rest hatched 14th Aug at which point it's now set to flow water through from my main tank. Also added a dinky baby cherry shrimp and a couple of pest snails as clean up crew.

I've got a new microworm culture, but I'm not 100% sure when to start feeding? Does that look like they still have a bit of egg sack left?

I'd be very interested in any tips/suggestions on successfully raising them.

Adults spawning (09/08/2019):

Just hatched (14/08/2019):

Right now (15/08/2019 - 1.5 days old)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_191914b.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	885497  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm a bit worried, they are now three days old and still spending all their time sat under a cappata leaf - they don't appear to be moving around looking for food?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
They may still be getting nourishment from their yolk sack. Or grazing biofilm off the leaf, its great you have that in there with them

If you move the leaf, do they scurry? Have you offered them the microworms yet and they ignored it?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
If you move the leaf, do they scurry?

Yes, they go crazy if I move it, but otherwise just sit under it. I expected them to be wiggling about looking for food more.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Yes, they go crazy if I move it, but otherwise just sit under it. I expected them to be wiggling about looking for food more.
Going crazy is a good sign! Maybe having a comfy spot to chill has prolonged their yolk due to lack of activity the first two days?

Are their bellies still round? Have you taken a pipette and dropped a few worms in there? I wouldn't necessarily wait for them to cruise around looking for food, Just drop a smidge by the leaf and see if they eat it. I wouldn't worry too much either, as long as they're not listless which doesn't sound the case here... Congrats on the babies!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is one right now - not sure if that's belly or yolk sack. I put a little microworm in last night, but haven't seen them eat any.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190817_133350b.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	885619  

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks nice and plump to me. Not sure if that's yolk, or from eating film, microfauna, etc but looks like a nice round belly. If you have any mosses in other tanks, you could throw some in for more grazing opportunity but I think you're doing great
tamsin likes this.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would be inclined to say that is egg sac remaining. Their behavior should change once it is entirely absorbed. Much with any fry that are feeding off their yolks, their need to scavenge is not at its highest until it is fully absorbed. I would say in a day or 2 they should begin to behave differently, looking for food etc.
tamsin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, that's reassuring

I've cropped a bit of moss/algae from a little tank I have on my window sill and added that - it's mostly algae but I figure it will do the same job.

I will leave off adding any more microworms until they move about a bit more - I can still see some wriggling from yesterday with a magnifying glass and I don't want to overfeed.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most important thing I have learnt when dealing with breeding new to me fish. Failure, whilst disappointing and annoying, can at times give us more knowledge that success. So, though I truly wish you success, do not be disheartened if they do not thrive.
You seem like you are being very cautious and doing everything you can. I encourage reading the threads on here and elsewhere about breeding these guys, it will probably show you the stages and methods used for greater survival rates etc.
Keep us posted!
Up the aussie, coming for test 2 now!

|
|
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Today (5 days old) they are more active moving about the box and out from under the leaf - hunting about more like adult corys looking for food. I guess the were just taking their time about it
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Day 10 - Still dinky but growing

I think I lost some down the overflow back into the tank - I can only find about five in there (no bodies) and there was a gap I've now plugged. Kicking myself, but they may well survive in the tank as there is a lot of cover... going to be awhile before they are big enough to spot though!

Those left are doing great, I'm feeding microworms in the morning which last about 24 hours and a little dust from the sides of a fluval bug bites container to give a bit of variety.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190824_112707b.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	885935  

KayakJimW likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've had good results feeding my Corydoras aeneus fry Hikari First Bites and crumbled flake when they get larger.
tamsin likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Day 10 - Still dinky but growing

I think I lost some down the overflow back into the tank - I can only find about five in there (no bodies) and there was a gap I've now plugged. Kicking myself, but they may well survive in the tank as there is a lot of cover... going to be awhile before they are big enough to spot though!

Those left are doing great, I'm feeding microworms in the morning which last about 24 hours and a little dust from the sides of a fluval bug bites container to give a bit of variety.
Pepper grinders are great for breaking up food into sizes tiny mouths can handle.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cant help with the dwarfs but my false juliis breed all the time (every water change, every big feeding it seems, any excuse). I dont collect the eggs or anything and just let it happen in basically a community tank. So far one has made it to adult hood and there are now two juveniles about 3/4". The smart babies seem to stay hidden and feed off everything in the tank then once they reach about 1/4" or bigger they get brave and mix in during feeding time.

Like suggested I think moss or similar from established tank goes a long ways as even the adults graze off plants and what not in the tank. Good luck.
tamsin likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode