Neon tetras have really bad fin rot plz help. - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Neon tetras have really bad fin rot plz help.

I have a 11 neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank with a cascade 200 HOB filter and I don't know what heater. I have 4 anubias, and about a month ago I saw they had fin rot and started dosing API Melafix. The bottle is almost out and the fin rot has only gotten worse. I can buy more, but some of the fish look like thresher sharks:

(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...64116859565909

I don't what to do. I do 50% water changes every week. I got them February and I was stupid and didn't read about the nitrogen cycle, so they survived that even when my platy died If they die I will probably sell all my stuff and give up on the hobby I bought them from petco, but they seemed healthy(I didn't know 100% what to look for at the time) and they did fine. I increased the temperature to ~80 degrees several weeks ago. I can buy salt and use melafix and have 80 degree water if necessary.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Pic of tank? Water parameters in tank.. PH, GH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, phosphates? Change water source, prep routine and parameters?

So basically they lived through your un-cycled tank 3-4mo ago but in about last month it just went to crap?

But sadly without testing and tank parameters its almost impossible to know whats going on.
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Planted Member

In my early days I was subjecting my fishes to over feeding and was running into fin rot too often. I lowered my food and moved to 2x WC a week with gravel vac to get the unused food and waste off the substrate. Is there a lot of shmoo onthe substrate?

post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Pic of tank? Water parameters in tank.. PH, GH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, phosphates? Change water source, prep routine and parameters?

So basically they lived through your un-cycled tank 3-4mo ago but in about last month it just went to crap?

But sadly without testing and tank parameters its almost impossible to know whats going on.
PH is 7.6. Ammonia is 0. no2 is 0. no3 is 5. I don't test phosphates. I am using the same water source. Nothing changed. I added anubias after they already had fin rot. Yes they lived through the uncycled tank and then a month ago they got fin rot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
In my early days I was subjecting my fishes to over feeding and was running into fin rot too often. I lowered my food and moved to 2x WC a week with gravel vac to get the unused food and waste off the substrate. Is there a lot of shmoo onthe substrate?
I will do 2 WC a week as you said, and yes there is a little waste on the substrate. I feed them a small amount 3 times a day. I use an auto feeder.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well fin rot is sign of declining water quality and also can be a sign of stress you, by your actions are inducing upon your fish such as inappropriate prepping of change water in which case every time your changing water your actually hurting your fish not helping them.

Anyway what’s the PH, GH and KH in tank and of change water?

And if your seeing waste food on top gravel I can probably safely assume lower levels of gravel are probably packed with rotting detritus as well. Need full tank pics showing filter placement as well as side shot showing substrate build up of detritus down there.
post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

the ph is 7.6 the gh and kh are both 3. We are on a well. I am prepping water with Tetra slime coat stuff and API bacteria supplements. I will take some pics soon.

Bump: The gravel seems fine to me. IDK whats going on. I just want my fish to thrive

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 08-09-2019 at 12:04 AM.
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:52 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
A few thoughts. First, I'd lose the auto feeder. These fish can be fed once or twice daily in an amount they can eat in about 30 seconds. If flake food is hitting the gravel, you generally put too much in. Going forward, it is best to do a fishless cycle. I would expect any that survived to be fine by now but you may have just gotten a buggy batch of neons. It certainly happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I bought them from petco, but they seemed healthy(I didn't know 100% what to look for at the time) and they did fine. I increased the temperature to ~80 degrees several weeks ago. I can buy salt and use melafix and have 80 degree water if necessary.
I would not use salt or Melafix for what you are describing. I'm skeptical that Melafix or Pimafix have ever cured any disease for any fish. I have tried them many times and won't even put them on my store shelves anymore. Erythromycin in a QT tank would be my leaning without being able to see the fish.

Quote:
If they die I will probably sell all my stuff and give up on the hobby
That would be a shame for something you seem so enthusiastic about. But if fish deaths are going to turn you off to fish-keeping, you aren't long for the hobby sad to say. It's an inevitable facet that comes along with all of the reward and good times. You are not only going to have normal losses; but disease, equipment failures, stuck heaters, aggression, jumping, random toxins, stray electrical current, and so many other things can (and if you do it long enough -will) happen. I have lost entire tanks with 1000's of dollars worth of corals and clams. I have wanted to cry. I have gotten out of saltwater altogether. But the ease and simplicity of lightly stocked planted tanks keeps me around. I hope you will and wish your tank inhabitants the best.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I will just keep my water at 80 degrees and see how it goes I guess. Should I dose this?

https://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Rid-Ic...-garden&sr=1-3

Bump: I will lose the auto feeder to.

Bump: I will just tough it out and see how many survive I guess.

Bump: It might just be the fact that I got them from a non-reputable source.(Petco. ugh.) All future fish are coming from Wet spot for me.

Bump: Thank you all for your advice.
Discusluv likes this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Do not use the ich medication for fin rot. The medication is tough on fish, but more importantly you won't get results treating a bacterial infection with an anti-parasitic. I'm not sure a tank temperature of 80 is going to affect things one way or another.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ok. I heard increasing the temp is good to get rid of ich and other things so I thought I would try it.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #11 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

I’d quit doing such overly aggressive water water changes, 2 gal per week should be fine, run some carbon for couple days to clean out all those meds and add a small bag peat/almond leaves after that in filter, just enough to give water a slight, slight tea color.

Also are you prepping your change water properly by letting it stand overnight in bucket to equalize to atmospheric CO2 before doing water changes?

My neon and embers came from Petco and they look fine. I haven’t changed water in 2mo.

post #12 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I will just keep my water at 80 degrees and see how it goes I guess. Should I dose this?

https://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Rid-Ic...-garden&sr=1-3

Bump: I will lose the auto feeder to.

Bump: I will just tough it out and see how many survive I guess.

Bump: It might just be the fact that I got them from a non-reputable source.(Petco. ugh.) All future fish are coming from Wet spot for me.

Bump: Thank you all for your advice.

Yes, use that. The malachite green and metheleyne blue will work great on fin rot. It’s not too harsh at all. This is something I use routinely on sensitive fish when needed.
Your water changes are fine. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. Turn down heat. The higher the heat the quicker bacteria spreads. Neons should be at around 74-75 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #13 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Yes, use that. The malachite green and metheleyne blue will work great on fin rot. Both are antibacterials. It’s not too harsh at all. This is something I use routinely on sensitive fish when needed.
Your water changes are fine. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. Turn down heat. The higher the heat the quicker bacteria spreads. Neons should be at around 74-75 degrees.

If you fish begin to decline: not eating, hiding, no longer schooling, this indicates an internal bacterial infection- use Kanamycin. Active ingredient in Kanaplex.

post #14 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:19 AM
Banned

I'm not an expert but well water often has algae in it, and it's perhaps too clear and not enough organic matter like leaves, etc. for the natural amount of algae in well water. Personally, I'm going towards making adobe bricks, sun-dried, broken up, and using just that with no gravel cover, and I add dried leaves to keep algae down, as it's by the window and the dried leaves seem to keep the algae down.
post #15 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you so much Amy! @DaveKS, I forgot about the letting it sit overnight thing. I will start doing that.
Discusluv likes this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode