Neon tetras have really bad fin rot plz help. - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Ok. I just did a %60 WC right now. Could I do a %50 every other day would be fine? It would just be more convenient. I can still do 1x daily at 25% if necessary.

Bump: Do you think the neon tetras will survive this?
Do as much as is possible- every other day is fine.

If you can get me a picture or, even better, a video, I would be much more certain to give you an answer. But, eating is the best sign that you have that a fish can recover. It means that it can bring in nutrients it needs to fight of illness and rebuild immune system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ummmm guys? I just put and an anubias on a piece if driftwood from the 10 with the sick fish into the 75 without thinking. What should I do?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Do as much as is possible- every other day is fine.

If you can get me a picture or, even better, a video, I would be much more certain to give you an answer. But, eating is the best sign that you have that a fish can recover. It means that it can bring in nutrients it needs to fight of illness and rebuild immune system.
Ok thanks I will get a video soon.

Bump: I looked at the fish again and I am fairly sure they are nearing obesity.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Should I strip down the tank? I have been told that it lives forever and is present in every tank, it just lies dormant until a fish gets stressed?

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal

post #109 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No- dont strip down tank.
Its done. Relax and be mindful to not do it again.

Remember- no cross-contamination!

post #110 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
No- dont strip down tank.
Its done. Relax and be mindful to not do it again.

Remember- no cross-contamination!

Agreed..
Pretty much in the hands of the fish gods now..

IF it's columnaris ..a good primer.
https://veterinaryresearch.biomedcen...297-9716-44-27

See last post:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...mnaris.391345/
Discusluv likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #111 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you, guys. I will be extra careful NOT to cross-contaminate. I can't believe I did that. I didn't realize what I had done until the wood was slowly sinking to the bottom of the tank.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #112 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Excellent article. This one is going into my file. Thank you @jeffkrol

Now, as this article discusses, columnaris, depending on the strain, can be either acute or chronic. Young fish are primarily the worst for wear under the acute strain that can kill fish within 12-48 hours- without external symptoms. This is probably the strain ( supposedly there are 4) that is most readily seen in fish that get at the LFS. Many of these fish are young, straight out of mass fish farms out of Florida.
Adult and aged fish would already be in an aquarium, often times, and the columnaris bacteria already present in system waiting for a way in through environmental stress: whether it be : through poor water quality, con-specific stress, nutritional deficiencies, etcc...
As this article states, in the aquarium, a more virulent strain of columnaris, in the absence of fish to infect, can turn into a less virulent strain to sustain itself- to save energy.
This may be why sometimes you will see a total wipe-out in n aquarium of fish that an aquarist got from the LFS. In between adding another group of fish, the more virulent strain alters itself to a less virulent, more chronic strain.
Later, in time, when or if a stressor occurs in the aquarium that lowers the immunity of the fish, this pathogen can can a foothold. But, to complicate it even more, the rate of transmission depends also on temperature, alkalinity/acidity, and redox potential.

So, I dont think of columnaris as a pathogen that requires a total breakdown of the aquarium and sterilization as you would a viral infection like tuberculosis. Sure, the most virulent strain that takes out a whole tank can make one pause-- consider a sterilization of tank--- but, even healthy fish have been shown to bring the most virulent strain in on their gills without being infected themselves. This demonstrates that, like so many other bacterial infections in the aquarium, a healthy fish ( maintained through healthy water quality, low stress among con-specifics, and high nutrition) is the best defense.
aquanerd13 likes this.

post #113 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok, thank you.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #114 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned

It has been 6 days. No more deaths. The fish have only changed for the worse. What now?

Bump: 50% WC every other day.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #115 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
It has been 6 days. No more deaths. The fish have only changed for the worse. What now?

Bump: 50% WC every other day.

Sorry, sometimes despite all we do it doesn't work out. If they are worse and not getting better than it may be time to euthenize with clove oil.

post #116 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok thank you.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #117 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is so morbid, but I think the freezer would be the most humane.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #118 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-ba...aquarium-fish/

post #119 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks. This was educational and a bit sad.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #120 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:14 AM

Place them in a salt solution

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode