Betta pellets - to soak or not to soak - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question Betta pellets - to soak or not to soak

Hello All!

I currently have a 5 gallon cycling in my cubicle at work. I plan on adding a betta of some sort to the tank once the cycle is finished.

With my previous betta fish, I always soaked their pellets for five minutes or so before feeding, and fed frozen or live foods several times a week. Recently I have read in a few different locations that you shouldn't soak dry fish food, because it leaches out the vitamins and minerals, which would make sense. Unfortunately, adding frozen and live food isn't going to be possible with the tank being located at the office. There was an issue with some of my more squeamish co-workers when they found my pack of frozen blood worms in the break room freezer and an email was sent out from HR strongly suggesting their removal.

The betta-suitable office-approved foods I currently have on hand are Atison's Betta PRO, Northfin Bug Pro, and one of those freeze-dried multi packs that contains bloodworms, daphnia, and mysis shrimp. I may or may not purchase some NLS Bettae or NLS Grow formula and/or Dennerle Betta Booster to add to the rotation. I know for a fact that I am going to have to soak the freeze dried foods before feeding them, but should I continue to soak the pellets? Do I need to add one of those liquid multivitamins to the soaking water to compensate if so?

Also, to head off any concerns, the tank has a heater, and a filter I am working on getting properly baffled, maintenance knows not to touch my desk other than to empty the garbage can so it will not be "cleaned" with chemicals, and the food is going to be locked in my file cabinate at night/over the weekend so nobody will get the chance to overfeed him/her and/or pollute the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:16 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think a significant amount of nutrients would leach out of the food by soaking it. Also, the benefits of soaking the food (such as preventing bloating/constipation) would outweigh any loss of nutrients/vitamins. 5 minutes is kind of a long time so I guess a good compromise would be to only soak it for a minute or so. I'm glad you're taking the proper precautions for keeping a betta in the office. Does it also have a lid? That would be the only other concern I'd have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Algae Grower

I find almost all betta pellets are too big for my betta...I just feed mine tetra granules and flakes...

-- UN --

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Algae Grower

I had bettas for years and never soaked the pellets. Never had a problem with this that I can recall. Freeze dried bloodworms I would break off a tiny piece and throw it in without soaking. Maybe I was doing it wrong all those years! But it seemed to rehydrate instantly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yes, it does also have a hood, and the (rather large) feeding hole has a cover fastened over it.

Thanks for the input everyone!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:00 AM
Planted Member

I crush two pellets with a tool against the inside lid of the pellet container (like a makeshift mortar and pestle) before I give them to a betta. That way if the pellets expand they'll still be small, because a soaked pellet (unsmashed) looks too big for my betta.

get out of my house
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like your office mates need to lighten up.

Put them in a pill bottle inside a ziploc bag, and tell them it's your psych meds.......
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:35 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedAngel View Post
Unfortunately, adding frozen and live food isn't going to be possible with the tank being located at the office. There was an issue with some of my more squeamish co-workers when they found my pack of frozen blood worms in the break room freezer and an email was sent out from HR strongly suggesting their removal.
Put them in a non-see-through container or a lunch box inside the freezer. Mark it 'anchovy hummus' or something.

get out of my house
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

I try to expand my bettas pallet however his favorite is the betta pellets. Eats them whole. He will eat some flake, eats some frozen blood worms but his favorite is the pellets. Well that and baby shrimp/fish if he could get them.

I do minimize how many he eats at once. Only feed him 3 or 4 pellets day on pellet days.

Tags
betta, food, pellets, soaking, vitamins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode