Freshwater pipefish - Just how difficult are they? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Freshwater pipefish - Just how difficult are they?

My dream fish for my aquascape are a pair of freshwater pipefish. I couldn't find any for the longest time so I kind of forgot about them but an internet seller just got some in stock.

From what I've read, the complicated part is feeding them. Not only are they picky and require moving food, they also need to be fed more than once a day. I can handle the picky part as I have to jiggle bloodworms for a single pea puffer for him to bite. The hard part is guaranteeing the low-fat body of the pipefish can be fed when I go on vacation, say for a week or more at once.

Is this true of them? If so, are there any automated systems used for tossing live brine shrimp or something into the tank a few times a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've never owned them but like you, did "get the bug" and researched quite a bit a few years back. My experiences keeping seahorses combined with the reading up on FE pipefish I did discouraged me from trying a small group. My plan then was to set up a 30 long and partition off 1/3rd of it where the fish couldn't get to for pods to produce. At the time, Lee's made a divider with big enough openings for scuds and such to pass through (they still may, just haven't seen one in years). I tend to have huge populations of these in my shrimp only tanks and had thoughts of keeping a food colony within the tank that couldn't be reached to become exhausted. I seem to recall videos on YouTube of people feeding them prepared frozen foods, but many articles are out there saying that most won't.

Unaware of a live brine feeder or even how on earth you could create one. The reservoir would need to be aerated, it would be near impossible to dose a consistent amount, and would add salt to your tank. Not saying no one has done it, but seems a very tall order.

If you do set up a tank for these, this will be one tank journal I'd hit the subscribe button for! Good luck.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I've never owned them but like you, did "get the bug" and researched quite a bit a few years back. My experiences keeping seahorses combined with the reading up on FE pipefish I did discouraged me from trying a small group. My plan then was to set up a 30 long and partition off 1/3rd of it where the fish couldn't get to for pods to produce. At the time, Lee's made a divider with big enough openings for scuds and such to pass through (they still may, just haven't seen one in years). I tend to have huge populations of these in my shrimp only tanks and had thoughts of keeping a food colony within the tank that couldn't be reached to become exhausted. I seem to recall videos on YouTube of people feeding them prepared frozen foods, but many articles are out there saying that most won't.

Unaware of a live brine feeder or even how on earth you could create one. The reservoir would need to be aerated, it would be near impossible to dose a consistent amount, and would add salt to your tank. Not saying no one has done it, but seems a very tall order.

If you do set up a tank for these, this will be one tank journal I'd hit the subscribe button for! Good luck.
Darn. I guess its no surprise you don't see these around often then.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I stopped into my (kind of) LFS and they had pipefish in too. One normal size and one smaller sized ones. He said they only get about two shipments a year. This must be the time everyone is getting theirs then.

The thing is, this experienced nature aquascape creator said even he has trouble keeping them because they rarely ever eat unless it's live. The smaller ones are particularly hard to feed because the bigger live worms don't fit in their mouths.

Also, the big ones were being treated for fungus. The majority had some fungus growing from the same spot near the back of their tails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_165835_1562968038937.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	884049  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_165829_1562968046372.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	884051  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode