Would this be overstocked? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would this be overstocked?

Hello everyone! I am fairly new to the aquarium hobby and was wondering your opinions on this. I apologise in advance if this or something similar to this has already been discussed. So I've got a 25 gallon cube that will be planted. As for fish this is what I was thinking.

-13-15 silvertip tetras
-2-3 honey gouramis or possibly 1 koi betta instead of the gouramis
-3 kuhli loaches

Would this be too much or could I add more tetras for a better school? Any different species? I'm not too crazy about neon tetras or cardinal tetras because I kept them as a kid and want something different. If you have any ideas on different species or a different route I could go with this tank I would appre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

Your stocking level looks fine to me. I might even go with more khuli loaches (5 - 7). The "stocking level" is a wide variable that greatly depends on you - how well you maintain the tank, your water changes, planting density, surface agitation, and so on. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor is a fun tool to play with.

There are a number of journals on 25g cubes on TPT (including mine) and they are well worth a read. My personal oppinion is that these tanks are more suitable for "nano" fish as the 18" length does not provide that much room for schooling and the smaller fish look more to scale.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for all the good info! I appreciate it!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I also have a 25g tank (mine is 24X12X20) and I would reconsider the silver tips if I were you. They're great fish, but very active. I had 9 of them them in my 40b tank and I don't think I'd like to see them in my 25g, even at 24" long.

Maybe consider something like dwarf pencilfish, Beckfordi pencilfish or green neons. I'm not a fan of regular neons, but the green neons are really nice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode