Honey Gourami - singular or with friends? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Honey Gourami - singular or with friends?

I'm planning out a 20gal long tank, and one fish I really like is the honey gourami's. But I'm not sure if they're supposed to be kept by themselves, or with a friend, or with a group. I can find examples of all of these, which leads me to think it doesn't really matter?

My plan is six peppered cory's (I have them in a tank now, I want to move them to the new tank), some guppies, and the gourami. Just not sure if I should have one or two.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
They are naturally shoaling fish. They start showing natural behavior at around 6 fish. They don't need to be in a shoal though and will do fine solo. They are super peaceful so it doesn't matter too much, but if you plan to breed to guppies make sure you have a place for the fry to hide or the honey will be very well fed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

NOT SINGULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to keep at LEAST 6 for them to thrive and be happy. They are very playful and need lots of little caves and plants to play around.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Algae Grower

I have 6 in my tank. Started with three Ďgirlsí with the intention of buying boy later. Ended up with two boys that tried to destroy each other in a 29 gallon tank.

Stepped up to a 60 gallon and bought two more girls (they were this time) to balance the ratios.

Boys spend all their time bubble nesting and chasing other fish away from the area. They are not social.

I have two boys living side by side in the 60 gallon as their line of sight is broken by emergent plant growth. It didnít work in the 29 with no ability to hide from each other st the surface.

Girls do explore the tank when not hiding from the boys. The girls do hang out together occasionally but I wouldnít say shoaling.

So my answer:
- no more than 1 male unless enough plant cover / restricted line of sight at the tank surface
- girls none or three or more to break up the attention from the boy.
- third option, for a peaceful tank, is a few girls no boys.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Member

Hmm, @zmartin post describes pretty well typical behavior of male *dwarf* gouramis but definitely not *honey* gouramis that *are* peaceful and do *very well* in groups.

However in my experience they do pretty well alone as well, they don't seem to be stressed out etc. So, IMHO, if you wish so, you can definitely keep a single one, or a pair, or a pretty big group - all will work fine. They'll behave more interesting in a group as they'll interact with each other.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
Hmm, @zmartin post describes pretty well typical behavior of male *dwarf* gouramis but definitely not *honey* gouramis that *are* peaceful and do *very well* in groups.

That made me laugh. I was intending on getting dwarf gouramis until I was convinced in a forum that *honey* gouramis are peaceful. And they were peaceful for 6 months until they matured and then the bubble nesting started.

And to be fair they donít seem to injure each other but I do worry when one of the girls is hiding at the substrate in the blyxa. Always possible that my fish are more aggressive than the norm. And itís possible youíd get different behaviour without floating plants and available nesting material and conditions. Iíll see if I can post a picture later.

Agree with the advice they do ok alone - if I was starting again thing I would do exactly that 1 Male or girls only if I wanted more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree that you should make sure that you actually have honey gourami. i'd say about 95% of the time when I see a fish store selling honey gourami they are not honey gourami. Don't know why fish stores never seem to be able to figure it out. I'd kept honeys a few times and they have always been super peaceful no matter what the tank situation was.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Planted Member

The scientific name is trichogastar chuna.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

I have 2 pair in a planted 20 long and they do well. The males nest at opposite ends of the tank and will chase the other male away if he gets too close to his nest. Otherwise, all 4 share/interact well in the “common” space towards the center of the tank. There are several babies growing up in there with them(not sure from which male...could be from both). There are also a few guppies and kuhli loaches in there with no issues. Just my experience with them. Quite playful, interesting, cute fish!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for all the insights! I think I'll need to do some more looking into if they'll be a good fit for my tank. I just love their colouring, and was wanting something peaceful. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode