Does planting density impact the number of fish you can have? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Yo_eddy
  • 1 Post By Yo_eddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does planting density impact the number of fish you can have?

Hi,

I'm in the midst of cycling my tank and am planning out what fish I want to stock. I don't know if it would be called heavily planted, but at least 2/3 of the tank seem to have pretty dense growth. I have about 1/3 open area in the front.

I've been using AqAdvisor to figure out stocking levels. Does the planting level have any impact on what you can stock? Is it fish specific? I know the fish can get wherever they want in there, but I don't want to be overstocked if I end forcing them all into the open area.

Attached pic shows the basics. It's grown in a lot since this pic. I expect that, at least on the sides, I'll let things grow towards the top of the tank

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	883441  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Densely planted aquariums will let you keep more fish. Lots of large rocks will have the opposite effect as you lose a lot of water volume.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:48 AM
Algae Grower

Time for a little story.
Due to my water supply changing from very hard water to soft, and the pH dropped a little over a point, the crypts melted, and everything else died.

I picked up a larger water change garbage can, 55 gallon. To perform a larger change. Since I had no plants.

Due to the fact that there were no plants to eat up the nitrates, they claimed up before a water change to crazy high levels, so I shifted to two water changes a week instead of one, that the calculator was recommending in the first place.

My tank is just a little over max capacity according to the stocking calculator. I think it is at 104%

But as the new plants are growing and filling the tank the nitrates are dropping down, and I am back to one water change a week, and I think that I might have to start dosing nitrates at the rate that it is dropping.

The tank is a 135 gallon but the substrate is kind of deep, and I am changing out 45 gallons a week.

I think that the calculator might figure out how high nitrates are to give you a recommended water change amount. A heavily planted tank will improve the quality of the water, buy lowering nitrates.

But allowing more fish due to plants, I don't think a hudge change, definitely more percentage points over 100% how Manny, I have no idea. But plants would have an effect on the water change.

But I do believe that the stocking level of the tank has something to do with the fish type, and how much room it needs, not so much as the gallon per inch rule that is pretty much old school.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does planting density impact the number of fish you can have?

Yes and no.

Plants do use up nitrates, but this is dependent on a lot of factors.

They also provide hiding places and break up lines of sight for fish, thus reducing some aggression, again depending on various factors.

What fish are you thinking of stocking?

Oh and gorgeous tank - do you have any more photos now that it's grown in a bit?

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Still working through stocking list, but likely 10-15 Galaxy rasbora's, some shrimp, some other type of algae eater, and maybe be 2 or 3 apistogramma. It seems all those should work, but like I said, still looking into it. I'm just waiting for the tank to finish cycling. Starting to get some string algae, so want to get some fish in there to help out. My wife wants african dwarf frogs, but I worry this tank might be a bit tall for them, so will likely set up a cube for her and her frogs.

A couple more pics after hacking things back a bit; I'll figure out some decent scapeing technique eventually.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	883845  

Name:	IMG_2213.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	883847  

Thelongsnail and Discusluv like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The scape looks pretty great to me.What type of rock do you have in here- I really like it.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
The scape looks pretty great to me.What type of rock do you have in here- I really like it.
Thanks. Black Seiryu stone. Some of the small ones are something else, can't remember what
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the sound of that stocking! What size is your tank sorry?

Assuming your parameters are suitable once cycled:

I have 14 galaxy rasboras currently and they're great, would recommend getting as many as possible.

No experience with apistos, but I shouldn't see why A. agassizii would be a problem, assuming your tank is a reasonable size. I believe they work well in m/f pairs? If so, watch the stock in the shop to see if you can see any established pairs. Not sure on how shrimp friendly they are, but I doubt they'd be 100% compatible.

None of my otos/amano shrimp/cherry shrimp touch the hair algae in my tank, please let me know if you find something that does!

Set up a separate tank for the frogs. They can (and probably will) jump out of that tank. I also had an open tank, and stocking choices are super important to prevent any "carpet surfing"

Edit: your tank looks amazing by the way!

Journal

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I've been happy with how things are turning out. Hopefully I can keep it going. Trying to be patient now. I really want to put some fish in it; it shouldn't be too much longer before it is fully cycled.

Tank is a 30gal. I'm getting a lid for this one, but I think a separate frog tank would be best. Once I get this one going, I'll start working on that.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode