17 Gal Stocking: Pair of Blue Rams and School of Nano Fish - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
MrGoodkat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
17 Gal Stocking: Pair of Blue Rams and School of Nano Fish

I am planning on stocking a 17 gallon soon. The footprint is about 25” by 14”. It will be heavily planted.

Would one breeding pair of blue rams (German or electric blue) be ok with a school of nano fish such as ember tetras or a variety of rasbora?

Thank you. Any and all advice appreciated.
MrGoodkat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: holland, pa
Posts: 639
As long as the tank/filtration are sufficient I don't see why not. Rams can get territorial, especially when breeding but are really more bark than bite. I'd be more worried if the two rams don't get along. I had a pair years back where the male wanted to breed and the female didn't and I ended up having to separating them as he got so nasty with her. They never really bothered anyone else in the tank though.
n25philly is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
MrGoodkat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
As long as the tank/filtration are sufficient I don't see why not. Rams can get territorial, especially when breeding but are really more bark than bite. I'd be more worried if the two rams don't get along. I had a pair years back where the male wanted to breed and the female didn't and I ended up having to separating them as he got so nasty with her. They never really bothered anyone else in the tank though.
Good to know! I am hoping to buy an already mated pair to help reduce the chance of them not getting along, but I’ll be prepared for the worst.

What do you think about ember tetras or green kubotai? Think I could go with 10 of either or more?

The filtration will be beyond the necessary amount.
MrGoodkat is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 2,376
German Rams need temperatures over 80 degrees, so you need to choose tetras ( fish) that are temperature compatible.

You could do cardinal tetras, green-neon's, or Rummy-nose tetras. 10 of one variety would be fine with the ram pair..

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Discusluv is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
MrGoodkat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
German Rams need temperatures over 80 degrees, so you need to choose tetras ( fish) that are temperature compatible.

You could do cardinal tetras, green-neon's, or Rummy-nose tetras. 10 of one variety would be fine with the ram pair..
Good point. I was planning on keeping the tank between 80-82? Would you recommend warmer?

I would love to do green neons. I wish I could find some tank bred ones.

Do ember tetras not like temperatures that high?
MrGoodkat is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 2,376
80-82 degrees is the high seasonal temperature that the Ember will be exposed to (temporarily) in a given year. It would not fare well if had to endure this temperature full-time. Many of the recommendations you see online for temperatures will give you a range, say 68-82 ( Simply Fish gives this temp range for hyphessobrycion amandae the Ember tetra). The numbers at each end mark extremes that the fish may temporarily experience and the middle numbers within this range are what the fish is primarily exposed to. In this case, Embers are normally exposed and adapted to temperatures between 74-77.
Here is a link to temp info on Ember:
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rycon-amandae/

Why do you not want wild green neons? If you are concerned that they will be more fragile that is not the case. I have had many green neons over the years because they make perfect companions to discus. These fish are very strong and I would always choose wild specimens over tank-raised stock.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Discusluv is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower
 
ustabefast's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 119
I've always assumed Green Neons were just a color morph of regular Neons.
I mention this because Neons like cooler water, like low 70's, but it appears you successfully kept them in warmer water.

Pencilfish are worth considering, as they stay near the surface and are absolutly perfect tankmates.
Also, some people use male Endlers livebearers as dithers as they also do fine in very warm water.
ustabefast is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabefast View Post
I've always assumed Green Neons were just a color morph of regular Neons.
I mention this because Neons like cooler water, like low 70's, but it appears you successfully kept them in warmer water.

Pencilfish are worth considering, as they stay near the surface and are absolutly perfect tankmates.
Also, some people use male Endlers livebearers as dithers as they also do fine in very warm water.

No, green neons are not a color morph of neon tetras. They are in the same genus "Paracheirodon;" but are of two different species. Green neons are Paracheirodon simulans and neons are "Paracheirodon innesi".


There are some distinct morphological differences between the species:

(Quote from Simply Fish):


"P. innesi can be told apart from its congeners P. axelrodi and P. simulans by the following combination of characters following Weitzman and Fink (1983): premaxilla possessing a single row (the anterior teeth may sometimes give the appearance of two rows) of 5-7, rarely 8, teeth having no more than 3 cusps each; maxilla with 2-3 teeth having no more than 3 cusps each; dentary teeth with no more than 3 cusps each; ventral-limb gill rakers 10-11, usually 11; pored lateral line scales 3-6, usually 4-5; red pigmentation on body of live specimens not extending anterior to the pectoral-fin base".


https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...odon-simulans/

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Discusluv is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
MrGoodkat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
80-82 degrees is the high seasonal temperature that the Ember will be exposed to (temporarily) in a given year. It would not fare well if had to endure this temperature full-time. Many of the recommendations you see online for temperatures will give you a range, say 68-82 ( Simply Fish gives this temp range for hyphessobrycion amandae the Ember tetra). The numbers at each end mark extremes that the fish may temporarily experience and the middle numbers within this range are what the fish is primarily exposed to. In this case, Embers are normally exposed and adapted to temperatures between 74-77.
Here is a link to temp info on Ember:
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rycon-amandae/

Why do you not want wild green neons? If you are concerned that they will be more fragile that is not the case. I have had many green neons over the years because they make perfect companions to discus. These fish are very strong and I would always choose wild specimens over tank-raised stock.
Thank you for all of the great advice. I see what you mean about the temperature range now. I am definitely eyeing the green neons now.

On a slightly different note, I have two more questions.

What is the typical max size for German rams? Is there a difference seen between the color morphs: Golden German and electric blue? I see a lot of conflicting information.

Also, I am wondering if instead of a variety of German ram I should consider an Apistogramma variety. I’m particularly looking at either A. borelli or trisfaciata, but I’m open to any of the smaller more peaceful ones.

These questions may be better suited for a whole new thread, but essentially, I would like a nice pair of fish that stay on the smaller size and are hopefully peaceful enough to keep with another small school.
MrGoodkat is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome