Has anyone actually seen ottos school? Even stay together? - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bump the old OTO thread night lol.

Anyhow I got 3 OTOs for my 10G a little while back which has some shrimps, betta, couple guppies, couple golden pencilfish. Of the 3 OTOs 2 of them for some reason like swimming with the pencilfish. One of them does it alot but have scene the two more active OTOs do it together with the pencils. From a distance they have similar markings I guess. The pencilfish dont seem to mind either.

They arent trying to suck on them or anything either, just swim up and hang out for a little bit bounce around then go back to hanging on whatever (glass, leaf, rock..)
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mine like to balance themselves on the hardscape. I bet yours can't do that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Asteroid

Look Ma .... No hands

Asteroid, evil8 and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gonna bump this thread. So I moved my OTOs from the 10g to the 40B. So total of 6 OTOs in the 40 I think, have only scene 4 lately but its hard to tell if the others died or are just hiding. Theres plenty of places to hide but things that die in this tank tend to disappear with the false amanos, corys, MTS ...... I think they are still just hiding however.

Anyhow kind of funny one of the OTOs has taken to the cory cats during feeding time. It follows them around and munches on the algae wafers and other food I feed the corys. It acts different then the other OTOs but seems to be healthy and they still have the option of eating the other veggies I give them. It gets rght in with the Corys while they are feasting which I havent scene before. Just thought I would share

evil8, Desert Pupfish and Squisher like this.

post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is cool . I have 6 ottos in a 15 gal tank and they are thriving . I feed them a slice of cucumber every other day , or as it goes bad . I only see them when they are eating the cuke , otherwise they hide . I am working on setting up my 75 gal tank and putting all the fish from my 15 and 30 gals into the 75 . I hope the Ottos will feel safe enough to come out more , but who knows .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have 17 in a 29 gal and they school in a mad pack every night. Fun fish, trying to breed them.

This is an old video of what the schooling looks like though:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/eZqHGfSExkQ
Quint and Squisher like this.
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTill View Post
I have 17 in a 29 gal and they school in a mad pack every night. Fun fish, trying to breed them.

Very cool vid--thanks for sharing.

Keep us posted on your oto breeding adventures.
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTill View Post

After watching that video pretty sure they wanted to school more with the dwarf corys then each other lol.

post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:50 AM
Planted Member

Otos are maybe my favourite fish. Right up there anyways. I have four in my 45g and they school up sometimes. But more I notice they are all loosely together in the same area of the tank. I find myself obsessing sometimes with taking roll call in my tank and will be stressing over finding all four. Until I remind myself that the tank is supposed to be relaxing not stress inducing. Lol.

I don't feed them any supplementary food and sometimes wonder if I should be. They seem to have good and far little bellys though so I haven't bothered. I feed a mix of fish foods but the only one I feed that I could see them being interested in is bottom feeder bug bites even though I've never seen them go for any food at all. I've added algae wafers and never seen them go for them either so don't bother anymore. I've assumed they are getting what they need from the tank?

All four getting busy on some crypts.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive noticed two of the several OTOs are sand scavengers, both will come out and eat off the sand and what not when I feed the other fish. The one like mentioned will actually eat with the corys, its buddy is not quite as boisterous yet but is getting close I think. The others hang out on the glass or plants and wait till nite time to come out adventuring.

@Squisher yours look thick bodied and healthy from what I can tell. Mine are still getting there but happy they have lived several months and seem to be doing well. Will feel better once they put on a little more weight and get that thicker body like yours have. I have given up and counting them on a regular basis. They have an uncanny ability to blend in and find hiding spots that make it near impossible to find them. Heck sometimes even in plain site if they are in the plants just right they are difficult to pick out.

post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
After watching that video pretty sure they wanted to school more with the dwarf corys then each other lol.
They do that sort of thing when they're new in a tank, that was about an hour after starting it. They do that every evening in the species tank i have now though too

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Very cool vid--thanks for sharing.

Keep us posted on your oto breeding adventures.
No worries, for sure.
post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
. I find myself obsessing sometimes with taking roll call in my tank and will be stressing over finding all four.

I totally do this too! Roll call every day!
I have a few ottos also in my 60 gallon, and they are a very loose "school". It is helpful when I look for them to know that if I can see one, there will be another within 6 inches of him somewhere! I never see them free swimming like a typical "school" though, so they kind of define their own version of what a "school" is. Mine have never eaten anything except the naturally growing algae- they refused algae wafers and I've never seen them go after any of the other fish's variety of foods. I enjoy looking for their little rounded bellies to assure myself they are eating well. These fish are great! I've read that other people have a hard time keeping them alive, but I've never had that issue with these species. I think the condition they are in when you get them from the LFS is super important for long term success.

Just keep swimming...
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

And just like that I jinxed myself. Lost an oto today. The other three look healthy, even the dead one looked healthy. Nice dark colour and fat bellies all around.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Over the past few months I have lost like 4 Otos in my 46 gallon over a fairly short period of time. I think they were all like 4-5 years old though I think so it might have just been old age.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode