Has anyone actually seen ottos school? Even stay together? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you think that they are starving, and wafers aren't working.
Is upping the light a bit an option?
I am not suggesting starting an algae farm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What kind of algae wafers have you tried? Many of them are just straight-up protein and a tiny bit of vegetable matter. It's really deceptive.

Try shopping around until you find something that's primarily vegetable matter or algae and you'll likely have better luck.

Something else to keep in mind: they'll eat when they're hungry. 99% of the time if they aren't eating? They're just not hungry.
Hikari Algae Wafers. Sure enough checked the ingredients are fish meal, wheat flour, wheat germ meal, cassava starch, "dried bakery product" (WTF?) followed by seaweed meal and other veggie stuff--likely in minute amounts. That's what I get for not reading the fine print. The snails loved it though (just one wafer) So will toss this and get something better. And try zucchini since a lot of people here say they love that. And if they don't eat it, just won't feed 'em--the snails don't need any encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbubba001 View Post
If you think that they are starving, and wafers aren't working.
Is upping the light a bit an option?
I am not suggesting starting an algae farm.
I've been an algae farm--that's why I got the otos in the first place LOL. Now there's no visible hair or green dust algae, just BGA. SWS assures me they'll eat other stuff if they're hungry, so I'll stop worrying about them and start dosing for my BGA, and keep the lights low til I've got the algae under control.

Thanks!
varanidguy likes this.
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I know this an older thread but I wanted to add....I keep 6 Ottos in a 15 gal long tank . They eat a cucumber slice a couple times a week and I don't clean the back glass or the left side glass all the way . I leave a good bit of green algae to grow and I see them grazing on it from time to time . I never see them "school" , but , I do see a couple together now and then . I think it is like has been mentioned that they are very comfortable in their surroundings so they just do their own thing...lol
varanidguy likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Honestly sometimes I think the idea of a "minimum number" of fish gets a little overblown and is often used to shame people in social media situations. I see on forums or Facebook all the time: "OMG you only have 3 Corydoras? They should be kept in schools of 6 or more or it is cruel!" "OMG you need to get 6 more tetras you can't only have 2! What is wrong with you?"

I'm not saying that people shouldn't strive for keeping a big group of fish. I think it can look nice and you might get to see more interesting social behaviors with those fish. But when fish are in groups of hundreds or thousands in nature why is 6-8 suddenly the magical number to make your fish healthy and happy? It all just seems rather arbitrary to me and people parroting advice given by others (which might partially be marketing to get people to buy more fish).

I have had plenty of fish where over time there numbers have dwindled and I don't replace them. Or I took on the last two fish at a store. These fish seem perfectly healthy and happy and don't seem stressed when kept in numbers of 1-4 instead of 6-8 or more. Again I am not advocating to not buy fish in large numbers. I just think there is a lot of mindless groupthink on the subject.

Of course looking to my right at my 46 gallon aquarium I see 8 Otocinclus all together clinging to the front glass of the aquarium in a big group. But the two alone in another aquarium that are the last survivors of a big group I bought have lived now for almost 5 years as just a pair and seem fine.

ETA: I just want to add that in some cases of fish where there is territorial behavior or aggression and a pecking order than it definitely IS prudent to keep them in larger groups rather than small numbers(certain cichlids, Bettas etc.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
You often read and hear people saying that otocinclus cats need to be kept in groups of 12 or more. I'm not really disputing that, but I have to question conventional wisdom here. It certainly isn't my experience that they school or really interact at all. I can go to any random tank with them and there will be a few on various leaves, panes of glass, or a rando swimming through the water column but I don't think in a dozen years of keeping this species I've seen any behavior that would explain why they are classified as schooling fish that require to be in groups.

Is there really anything inhumane about putting for example, 3 in a 10 gallon? I think they'd be in as close of proximity as any of the 25ish I have in a 125 gallon.
Yeah I'm late to the party but had the same question a while back. It's interesting the different behaviors of these guys. Some group, some don't etc. I'd be willing to bet too, that the one's that group well grew up together from the same collection point. Vs a few bought here, there over time from different sources
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was told once by the pet shop that they "only school in 3s, so you can't buy 5, you have to get 3 or 6".... :

I think this was a side effect of staff being told to sell a minimum of 3 at a time to make sure people didn't get single schooling fish but I'd love to know the thought process behind this extrapolation! What would they do, 6 of them group up and not let the 7th join?!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanblueramlover View Post
I was told once by the pet shop that they "only school in 3s, so you can't buy 5, you have to get 3 or 6".... :

I think this was a side effect of staff being told to sell a minimum of 3 at a time to make sure people didn't get single schooling fish but I'd love to know the thought process behind this extrapolation! What would they do, 6 of them group up and not let the 7th join?!
Yeah that is definitely nonsense.

post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The exact minimum are often a little arbitrary - but often in the wrong direction. The seller knows the fish is happier in a shoal, but also doesn't want to lose the sale - so what's the minimum number that could be a shoal but won't put of the budget conscious fish buyer/the one that wants to put as many different types in their tank - one is a single fish, two is a pair, therefore three is a 'shoal'. And like it or not, they probably make up the bigger consumer base than those that carefully research/care about behaviour needs and welfare.

There are a ton of scientific research articles on fish behaviour you can wade through. It's a bit hard to generalize as 'fish' is quite a diverse group. However, in general those that naturally live in shoals are less stressed if they are in shoals. They might not appear to interact much in a tank that is relatively small/not full of predators etc. but they'll know the other guys are there. Start swishing a net around and you'll often see them form up into a tight group.
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Don't even get me started on the people who nitpick about shoals vs. schools!
tamsin likes this.

post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Don't even get me started on the people who nitpick about shoals vs. schools!
LOL! So true. I think there is a valid distinction (shoal is more "social" while schooling fish really do behave a little differently). But, I also know from observation that difference is so much more obvious in nature than the average aquarium. Seeing a school of hundreds of fish swimming the same direction, versus fish that kind of hang out together, is interesting in vast numbers.

IMO, cory behavior is more fun to watch any day than a school of tetras. But, that's just me.
aquanerd13 likes this.
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
LOL! So true. I think there is a valid distinction (shoal is more "social" while schooling fish really do behave a little differently). But, I also know from observation that difference is so much more obvious in nature than the average aquarium. Seeing a school of hundreds of fish swimming the same direction, versus fish that kind of hang out together, is interesting in vast numbers.

IMO, cory behavior is more fun to watch any day than a school of tetras. But, that's just me.
*laughs in rummy nose tetra*

But I agree, fish that swim tightly together are a lot more fun to watch than a cloud of fish that just hang out.
CatsMeow likes this.

|
post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depending on the cloud of fish. A cloud of downright adorable pygmy corys that are super active is fun to watch IMHO. So what do yall think the minimum number of otos would be? 12? 8?

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Depending on the cloud of fish. A cloud of downright adorable pygmy corys that are super active is fun to watch IMHO. So what do yall think the minimum number of otos would be? 12? 8?

I don't think there is a set answer to that. I've 7 (50g tank), but I also have 9 habrosus corys and they often shoal together. At a glance from a distance they are hard to tell apart. I deliberately chose the oto species that was the closest match in looks to the corys.

I would class my Otos as being as visible as the corys, I think the corys help give them the benefits of a larger shoal without as much competition for algae. At feeding time they all descend on the food (mix of algae waffer/bug bites) on mass - not reclusive at all!
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Perfect thanks so much. I would have tons of corys so the otos would have lots of buddies.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Perfect thanks so much. I would have tons of corys so the otos would have lots of buddies.

You do need to match them to the right looking corys, not just any corys This article has some info on pairings seen in the wild: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....-the-aquarium/ (scroll down to the section on copycats).
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode