• 2 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rainbowfish in a 75 gallon?

Hi!
I recently upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 75 gallon planted tank. I moved most plants and all existing fish (about 10 tetras and a few oto cats). I believe it's cycled and I'm ready to start adding some fish. I'm hoping to add assorted Rainbowfish, a few Roseline Sharks and possibly a few more Rummynose Tetras. My question is about the Rainbowfish. What is the best male:female (or all male) ratio? Mainly I don't want to foster any aggression! Thanks.....
Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @jennation

I have a 75 gallon, and I enjoy keeping rainbowfish. My experience has been some species of rainbowfish school better than others. When I had about 20 Melanotaenia boesemani 'Lake Aytinjo' in the tank they did not school well. Now I have about 25 Melanotaenia praecox 'Pagai' in the tank; they school very, very well. I have not tried a tank of mixed rainbowfish.

Melanotaenia praecox 'Pagai' (Gary Lange / F4)

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @jennation

I have a 75 gallon, and I enjoy keeping rainbowfish. My experience has been some species of rainbowfish school better than others. When I had about 20 Melanotaenia boesemani 'Lake Aytinjo' in the tank they did not school well. Now I have about 25 Melanotaenia praecox 'Pagai' in the tank; they school very, very well. I have not tried a tank of mixed rainbowfish.

Melanotaenia praecox 'Pagai' (Gary Lange / F4)
Very beautiful rainbow variety. The corydoras are pretty spectacular as well- are they c. sterbei?
Greggz and Seattle_Aquarist like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:06 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennation View Post
Hi!
I recently upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 75 gallon planted tank. I moved most plants and all existing fish (about 10 tetras and a few oto cats). I believe it's cycled and I'm ready to start adding some fish. I'm hoping to add assorted Rainbowfish, a few Roseline Sharks and possibly a few more Rummynose Tetras. My question is about the Rainbowfish. What is the best male:female (or all male) ratio? Mainly I don't want to foster any aggression! Thanks.....
From my stand point, having some females with the males offers an interesting experience. Seems like on water change days the girls like to lay eggs and the boys get to have snacks. You can see what my 75g tank looks like in my build thread listed below.

@Greggz has a little larger tank, 120g, and it's full of all male rainbow fish. Little different experience, but still very enjoyable. Look for his build thread for an idea of how his tank looks.

Bump:
Greggz likes this.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Praecox great choice for your size tank. Aggression not really a problem with rainbows, it’s all show and display mainly.

But I would stick to smaller ones like praecox, parva and bosmani etc. Some rainbow can get quite large and all are aggressive fast feeders, during feeding more timid species like tetra won’t stand a chance at getting food with bunch of large aggressive feeders whirling about, they’ll shy away into weeds and unless you target feed them they won’t get any food. You’ll be lucky if a scrap of food makes it 4” below water surface.
Immortal1 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Praecox great choice for your size tank. Aggression not really a problem with rainbows, it’s all show and display mainly.

But I would stick to smaller ones like praecox, parva and bosmani etc. Some rainbow can get quite large and all are aggressive fast feeders, during feeding more timid species like tetra won’t stand a chance at getting food with bunch of large aggressive feeders whirling about, they’ll shy away into weeds and unless you target feed them they won’t get any food. You’ll be lucky if a scrap of food makes it 4” below water surface.
I agree with you - to a point. I have several large bows in my tank along with some black skirt Tetras and a few Serpae Tetra. What I have learned is to dump in either bigger flake or bigger pellet food for the bows. Then I add some really fine food in a different location - it sinks below the 4" frenzy zone as the bigger fish are looking for bigger food. Not perfect, but it has been working for a few years now.
Greggz likes this.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Male/Female is personal choice. I have kept both mixed sex and all males tanks, and prefer all male simply as it provides maximum color with the space I have available.

And there are a wide variety of Bows that would work in a 75G. I would do some research on different species, and get a plan together before you start. Remember to consider their adult size when stocking. They will be quite small when you acquire them, so you need to plan ahead.

If you have any questions on specific species, please feel to reach out. I have kept a large number varieties over the past few decades, and would be happy to share my experiences.

As to feeding time, here is a video from a few years back to give you and idea...............

Immortal1 and GeorgeTheGuppy like this.

------------------
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the great advice!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @Discusluv,

Yes, Corydoras sterbai, I also have the albino C. sterbai in another tank. They are both very attractive species but when it comes to a cleaning crew Corydoras aeneus (Bronze Corydoras) is a much better worker!
Discusluv likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a group of the aeneus in my 180 gallon- along with some c. eques. and splendens. I agree, the aeneus is an excellent cleaner.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode