1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thelongsnail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Single fry failure to thrive...

Good morning all,
Long story... He is just a 'failure to thrive' born alone the second day of a very large clutch.
He was laying on the floor of the tank, only wiggling up to eat. So his swim bladder is not right. I let nature take its course....

10 days later- he was still pushing hard and I often (once a day) fed him from hand as he gets out compete by the other fry... he has trouble with water current as he swims at a 45 or 90 degree angle 24/7. He sleeps on leaves... I transferred him to a separate tank that doesnt have heavy current... He eats microworms, vinegar eels, live brine shrimp and pellets with enthusiasm. I figured with a nice diet he might level out and his convex abdomen would fill out evenly- but at nearly 3 weeks old, no.
I prefer not to make these decisions, but my options are to let him keep going, or well, you know.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Last edited by livebearerlove; 06-12-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I forgot to add.... he was born with it.. not adapted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is his condition worsening at all? If you're willing to put in the extra care and the fish seems to be healthy aside from the obvious swim bladder issue I am not sure what to tell you. It's different than a commercial breeder situation. I would monitor the fish's quality of life and decide based on that. If you think there is pain or things are really going downhill then euthanasia is the humane choice. If not, it's really your call.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Is his condition worsening at all? If you're willing to put in the extra care and the fish seems to be healthy aside from the obvious swim bladder issue I am not sure what to tell you. It's different than a commercial breeder situation. I would monitor the fish's quality of life and decide based on that. If you think there is pain or things are really going downhill then euthanasia is the humane choice. If not, it's really your call.
That's the thing... He doesnt seem to be in distress (endlers have the unique ability to 'black out' their eyes when aggressive, in distress). He has very visible iris- so he seems to just be working his butt off 24/7. I have another 150 fry to work with right now as well as my adults... so he will need his own enclosure. I guess I can put him in the fry tank for the newborns....He comes to the surface and eats from either a syringe, finger or tweezers 80% of the time.

Has anyone seen a fry recover from a swim bladder they were born with?

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rip.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry you lost him.

He didn't appear to be in any distress, and you didn't let him go hungry, so I'd say you gave him the best of what little life he could have.
livebearerlove likes this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode