Siamese algae eater species confusion? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Siamese algae eater species confusion?

Interestingly, it appears several different related species are known as the Siamese algae eater, all belonging to the genus Crossocheilus. (This does not include the Siamese flying fox, which belongs to genus Epalzeorhynchos.) Seriously Fish lists Crossocheilus atrilimes, langei, and nigriloba; Wikipedia calls it Crossocheilus oblongus, and many other places call it Crossocheilus siamensis.

According to Seriously Fish, "This species is among a handful of near-identical congeners that are traded as ‘Siamese algae-eater’ (often abbreviated to ‘SAE’), ‘Siamese flying fox’ and ‘Crossocheilus siamensis’. The latter name is not valid, however, and is a synonym of Epalzeorhynchos siamensis which is itself a synonym of Crossocheilus oblongus, a species described from Java."

That leaves atrilimes, langei, nigriloba, and oblongus.

Since most fish stores list the SAE as siamensis, which is really oblongus (and Wikipedia calls it oblongus as well), I suspect most of the fish seen in the aquarium trade are oblongus. That said, the other species very closely resemble oblongus.

It seems there are a lot of conflicting reports of the Siamese algae eater's behavior (re: aggression, algae eating, etc.). While it's common knowledge that confusion with the Siamese flying fox is to blame some of the time, I wonder if confusion between various Crossocheilus species could also contribute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 AM
Algae Grower

Sidebar: I am only recently back in the hobby, but I have learned the correction of Galaxy Rasbora to Celestial Pearl Danio.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:43 AM
Planted Member

Maybe..... but as hard as it is to actually get true SAE much less various types of the species would have to look more at what the concern is.

I will say I wish I could get ahold of the really small SAE, the ones that I think only get to like 2" adult or somewhere along those lines. Only have one LFS around that gets SAE and even then its rare he gets them in. He has one that takes care of one of his tanks (not for sale).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Sidebar: I am only recently back in the hobby, but I have learned the correction of Galaxy Rasbora to Celestial Pearl Danio.
Isn't it interesting when species get reclassified like that? In the reef aquarium world, one of the more popular corals was changed from Acanthastrea lordhowensis to Micromussa lordhowensis. It's colloquially known as an "acan", and there's another Micromussa species already known as a "micro", so no one is quite sure what to call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Maybe..... but as hard as it is to actually get true SAE much less various types of the species would have to look more at what the concern is.

I will say I wish I could get ahold of the really small SAE, the ones that I think only get to like 2" adult or somewhere along those lines. Only have one LFS around that gets SAE and even then its rare he gets them in. He has one that takes care of one of his tanks (not for sale).
The large variation in size is one of the things I keyed in on. Atrilimes stays under 3", whereas langei and nigriloba can both reach 6", and oblongus gets even a little larger than that. Since most seem to report problems only once the SAE gets larger, I'm curious whether atrilimes would maintain its peaceful disposition and its algae eating habits once it matured.

Does anyone know of a source for this smaller species?

Edit: Whether this classification is correct I don't know, but aquariumfish.ecwid.com purports to sell atrilimes here for $4.49. Maybe I'll give one of those a shot in my upcoming 40 breeder.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been looking into this a bit more, and it does not get any less confusing. Fortunately, I've found a few people who seem to have made the discovery of these various similar species before me, and it seems they've done a much more thorough job tracking down information.

Source 1 - Aquatic Quotient
Source 2 - Archived copy of dead link in Aquatic Quotient post #2
Source 3 - Aquatic Community

In a nutshell, Crossocheilus langei is the one you want. It has a pointy snout with barbels and a dark blotch between its anus and ventral fin. Its fins are transparent, and it has a black stripe running from the tip of its nose to the back of its tail. It will allegedly eat algae and remain peaceful until the end of its days.

You do not want:
  • Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus (Flying Fox): Not even the right family. It has unmistakable dark patches on its fins.
  • Garra cambodgiensis (False SAE): I wasn't aware of this one, but it's a little trickier to spot than the Flying Fox. Look out for a lateral stripe (the dark line down the side) that ends at the base of the tail, rather than continuing through to the rear of the fish.
  • Crossocheilus oblongus, aka Crossocheilus siamensis:
  • Crossocheilus atrilimes: This one is bad news. Not only does it not eat hair algae, it'll chow down on mosses and fine-leaved plants. Source 1 claims it grows large, but Seriously Fish reported it to be the smallest in the Crossocheilus genus. At any rate, avoid any SAE lookalike lacking barbels on its snout. Source 1 also reports atrilimes to have a fatter midsection with a curved lateral line.
  • Crossocheilus citripinnis: There's not a lot of info on this guy. I can't even find any info on it outside of forums (and Source 2). Source 1 describes it as "The closest looking to the Langei as it also has barbells. Algae eating abilities unknown. Behavior unknown. The absence of a black ventral (anal) blotch, slightly curved lateral black line and a “fatter” tummy (which makes the bottom of the fish less “flat” looking) is the only way to
    tell this apart."

These impostors are likely behind any negative experiences with the SAE. Just make sure to check for that dark ventral blotch before you buy!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have 2 SAE that I purchased when had an outbreak of BBA- I bought them as Crossocheilus oblongus from Wetspot that is better than most at properly identifying their fish. Within a few months they grew quickly ( they get very large) and one killed the other one.

They both ate flake and pelleted foods from the beginning and Ive never seen them have the slightest interest in eating anything else. certainly nothing green. The one I have left can be very aggressive and chases my corydoras on occasion during feeding. I keep threatening him to take to the LFS where he will be sold to someone who gives him less than ideal conditions- but, Im sure I never will.
That is, he will get a reprieve unless he actually kills another fish. But, his aggression towards the corydoras is a short chase- nothing like my cichlids that will chase each other clear across the tank.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTheGuppy View Post
I've been looking into this a bit more, and it does not get any less confusing. Fortunately, I've found a few people who seem to have made the discovery of these various similar species before me, and it seems they've done a much more thorough job tracking down information.

Source 1 - Aquatic Quotient
Source 2 - Archived copy of dead link in Aquatic Quotient post #2
Source 3 - Aquatic Community

In a nutshell, Crossocheilus langei is the one you want. It has a pointy snout with barbels and a dark blotch between its anus and ventral fin. Its fins are transparent, and it has a black stripe running from the tip of its nose to the back of its tail. It will allegedly eat algae and remain peaceful until the end of its days.

You do not want:
  • Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus (Flying Fox): Not even the right family. It has unmistakable dark patches on its fins.
  • Garra cambodgiensis (False SAE): I wasn't aware of this one, but it's a little trickier to spot than the Flying Fox. Look out for a lateral stripe (the dark line down the side) that ends at the base of the tail, rather than continuing through to the rear of the fish.
  • Crossocheilus oblongus, aka Crossocheilus siamensis:
  • Crossocheilus atrilimes: This one is bad news. Not only does it not eat hair algae, it'll chow down on mosses and fine-leaved plants. Source 1 claims it grows large, but Seriously Fish reported it to be the smallest in the Crossocheilus genus. At any rate, avoid any SAE lookalike lacking barbels on its snout. Source 1 also reports atrilimes to have a fatter midsection with a curved lateral line.
  • Crossocheilus citripinnis: There's not a lot of info on this guy. I can't even find any info on it outside of forums (and Source 2). Source 1 describes it as "The closest looking to the Langei as it also has barbells. Algae eating abilities unknown. Behavior unknown. The absence of a black ventral (anal) blotch, slightly curved lateral black line and a “fatter” tummy (which makes the bottom of the fish less “flat” looking) is the only way to
    tell this apart."

These impostors are likely behind any negative experiences with the SAE. Just make sure to check for that dark ventral blotch before you buy!
I didn't have much luck at all with the one I got, didn't eat anything and my tank was too small. Get the right pleco and it will eat much more algae than Otos and it eats GSA as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have avoided buying an SAE because it doesn't seem like anyone really knows how to differentiate the correct species, and now I see why - it's not just one species it's being confused with, but five!

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have 2 SAE that I purchased when had an outbreak of BBA- I bought them as Crossocheilus oblongus from Wetspot that is better than most at properly identifying their fish. Within a few months they grew quickly ( they get very large) and one killed the other one.

They both ate flake and pelleted foods from the beginning and Ive never seen them have the slightest interest in eating anything else. certainly nothing green.

It is very interesting that yours have not touched algae. It seems, based on reports I have received, that everyone seems to have different results with these fish. Take, for example, Dr. Loiselle's write-up about Crossocheilus oblongus, C. reticulatus, and others (Here). He says it took a single SAE only one week to clear a 29 gallon of black beard algae...the same fish that won't touch your algae! It is certainly frustrating, but I wonder if slightly different strains of algae, availability of other options, or other external factors like water quality are somehow affecting the dietary choices of these fish.

Go Timbers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Farci View Post
It is very interesting that yours have not touched algae. It seems, based on reports I have received, that everyone seems to have different results with these fish. Take, for example, Dr. Loiselle's write-up about Crossocheilus oblongus, C. reticulatus, and others (Here). He says it took a single SAE only one week to clear a 29 gallon of black beard algae...the same fish that won't touch your algae! It is certainly frustrating, but I wonder if slightly different strains of algae, availability of other options, or other external factors like water quality are somehow affecting the dietary choices of these fish.
Maybe, in my case, the availability of prepared food made it choose that over the algae? I imagine if I hadn't had to feed juvenile cichlids and tetras daily they may have eaten more algae. Looking back, also, I have geophagus that need a high percentage of green in diet, I was feeding New Life Spectrum Algaemax ( still do)- this may have contributed as well to their lack of interest in Algae growing in tank.
D.Farci likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode