Minimum School Size - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Minimum School Size

This question has problem been asked 100x already, but I'm wondering what the minimum school size I can get for both Neons and Harlequin Rasboras? I have a 10 gallon aquarium, so I was thinking something in the range of 5-6 for each school, but I'm wondering what some experts out there have to say about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

5-6 of each is about max for a 10 gallon, not minimum.
Blue Ridge Reef and Jontym like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think a lot of times people's expectations are a bit unrealistic when it comes to the term "school" in the aquarium. If your goal is to keep a group of fish that are more comfortable with their own kind then 5-6 each will be fine. Just don't expect schooling behavior like you see on nature documentaries (swimming together like a flock of birds moving in unison) in a tank that size. I have a group of tiny chili rasboras in one 6 foot (125 gallon) aquarium and 50ish white clouds in another 125 and only really see them stick close to each other for a few minutes when spooked after a water change.
Quagulator and Jontym like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Five or 6 neon tetras in an aquarium of any size is inadequate. Especially in a high-tech aquarium with bright light and no cover. It is what we do when we include them in our aquariums that disrupt their natural schooling behaviors. Dont give them the environment they require and their behaviors will be anything but natural.

There are several micro-rasbora species that would be a better option than the neon.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think most recognize the rummynose as one of the best schoolers even when you don't have a ton of them. I had over 50 cardinals in a 4-ft tank and once they got acclimated they just scattered around, while the rummys numbered around 10 and they schooled most of the time.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yeah, I'd say rummynose tetras are among the best that I've personally kept groups of in larger tanks. I once saw a customer's African cichlid tank with leopard danios for dither fish that stuck together too, though it may have been because of the group fearing the larger C moori.

Can't disagree with @Discusluv on schooling fish numbers either. In a perfect world even our tiny neons would be considered unsuitable for a 10 gallon because there isn't room for 50 of them in a 10.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Yeah, I'd say rummynose tetras are among the best that I've personally kept groups of in larger tanks. I once saw a customer's African cichlid tank with leopard danios for dither fish that stuck together too, though it may have been because of the group fearing the larger C moori.

Can't disagree with @Discusluv on schooling fish numbers either. In a perfect world even our tiny neons would be considered unsuitable for a 10 gallon because there isn't room for 50 of them in a 10.
Its always a bit arbitrary to pick any number for a school of fish. But, with neons you really need to start at or above 12- 18. They will not school under bright lights, and they need an aquarium at least 30 inches.

The best set-up to encourage natural schooling behavior in a neon is a backwater tank, dim lighting, species only tank of proper length and adequate numbers.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With today's flexible lighting systems you can have your cake and eat it too, by which you can run high-light for a few hours and have dimmer viewing light for most of the lighting cycle that would make the fish more comfortable. Running high-light for as little as 2-3 hours I've been able to grow most light demanding plants.
DaveKS likes this.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You shouldn't put Rummynose Tetras in a 10 gallon, they need at least 3 feet of length to swim back and forth.
Espei Rasboras (Lambchop) school tightly in low numbers and are small enough, 6-8 would be full stock in a 10.

IMO Neon Tetras don't school tightly even 30 in a 100g. They may group together at times but Espeis really stick much closer together and swim together synchronized even with smaller groups.

Last edited by cl3537; 06-06-2019 at 11:46 PM. Reason: ...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is someone putting rummies in a 10 gallon?
Quagulator likes this.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Neons (paracheirodon innesi) are highly directional schoolers ( not classified as a schoaling fish at all) and have all the biological markers ( the consistency of colorful lines that mark the fish) that determine this classification. If they are schoaling in your aquarium it is because of variables you are introducing into your aquarium that are counteracting this natural behavior.

You might want to look at this article to determine what those variables are:
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...irodon-innesi/

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
You shouldn't put Rummynose Tetras in a 10 gallon, they need at least 3 feet of length to swim back and forth.
Espei Rasboras (Lambchop) school tightly in low numbers and are small enough, 6-8 would be full stock in a 10.

IMO Neon Tetras don't school tightly even 30 in a 100g. They may group together at times but Espeis really stick much closer together and swim together synchronized even with smaller groups.
If a fish schools with another species it is considered a "shoaler" not a schooling fish. Schooling fish will only school with the species in which it belongs.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are most neons wild caught or tank-raised? I thought the later.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:28 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Are most neons wild caught or tank-raised? I thought the later.

Tank raised.

OP, I have had many of the tetras and like discusluv mentioned they dont really school in most tanks. Well until feeding time that is.

My CPDs seem to school somewhat when I had enough however now that there numbers are lower they shoal with the ember tetras. The ember tetras dont really school at all. They do during feeding but thats about it. They prefer to hang out in the plants and get in groups of 2 or 3 but are more into hiding then the CPDs.

In my 40B the only fish that really schooled were the zebra danios which I had to rehome, and the mollies. I had some lear tail mollies (orange and black ones) that were always together. Slept/ate/moved around together as a group always. Guess thats shoaling but they were better at it then the neons, embers, CPDs, and corys.

My corys will hang together most of the time. I only have 6 but I would say about 50% of the time they are together. Other then that they are in groups of 2 or 3.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:30 AM
Algae Grower

Guys. The OP just had a very simple question. Why not get to the point
RCB likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25cube2019 View Post
Guys. The OP just had a very simple question. Why not get to the point
Answered in 1st response (post #2)
Kubla and Quagulator like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode