What to do with my equipment and fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What to do with my equipment and fish

Hello,
So I’m emptying my 50 gallon aquarium so I can dry start some dwarf baby tears. I have 5 rummynose and two peacock gudgeons that I have to move. I have a snail tank which I think I’m going to put the runny nose in. I’m going to put the peacocks in a tank with another filter or in a bucket. In the bucket I’m going to put my heater and keep my canister filter in it so I don’t kill the good bacteria. Is this a plausible thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

Yes, just move as much existing water from old tank as possible, give gudgeon some pots or rock caves and plants/plastic plants so they feel as comfortable as possible.

Iíd also clean canister filter media in old water 2-3 days before move so there is not a lot excess mulm/gunk in it. Youíll be moving to smaller container so dilution rate of organics will be higher, youíll be losing substrate bio filter of main tank so the less organic load you bring over the better. Also make sure circulation not to hard in new smaller container but also make sure oxygenation is maintained well.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I cleaned it maybe a week ago. Didn’t think about the concentration fact. I just want my filter bacteria to live more than anything. I have 3 other tanks that are cycled if I need to move the fish. Just don’t want to risk anything I don’t have to. I wasn’t even going to keep my fish in the bucket until I realized I need the ammonia from the fish to kee the filter “alive”. Any idea on how to get the last bit of water out of a tank? The substrate will cover all the existing water but idk if that will affect the dry start of the baby tears. The pic is what I have left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E423798B-EB42-4DD6-98CC-BD298432E371_1559780900727.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	882461  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:06 AM
Planted Member

I wouldnít worry about bacteria, feeding your fish will handle the little bit thatís in your filter. Itís paltry compared to amount of bio media in your substrate bed. Iíve always kept 12-18gal storage totes around for moving fish and plants into during a overhaul. Get clear top ones you can move/put a light on it, drill a few holes with hole saw for plumbing etc and they make great temp aquariums.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilit...8606/204724998

As far as draining, if youíve got help just pick up whole stand/tank on one end and stick 2x4 under it. Water will drain to one end where you can push gravel back from that end and siphon it off.

Otherwise just push sand to one side and use some big towels to wick it out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode