Endler Experts Needed: are these endlers? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Endler Experts Needed: are these endlers?

Hey all!
Im hoping some of you may be able to help me identify a couple of fish.

I recently ordered a pair (male/female) of yellow tiger Endlers (Poecilia wingei var. “Yellow Tiger”). Additionally, I have two "Endlers" I purchased from petco a few months ago in a separate tank for my kid. I am thinking that one of the fish from petco is actually a guppy and that one is actually a male Endler. The first two pictures are the male/female Endlers I recently purchased. The second two pictures are the fish in question.
Any input appreciated!

Male and female true Endlers:

Two fish in question:

5g moss tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aqueon Ascent 10g RCS tank (for the kids)
12g long Mr.Aqua shrimp tank
20g high Endler tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The fish in question seem like Endler/Guppy hybrids in my opinion. The last one (with the lace(?) pattern) definitely seems more guppy-ish than Endlerish. And the next to last one seem like a coin flip. What are the sizes of the fish? I've had my male endler for about 2 months now, and he's still around less than an inch even with vigorous feeding.

Bump: The fish in question seem like Endler/Guppy hybrids in my opinion. The last one (with the lace(?) pattern) definitely seems more guppy-ish than Endlerish. And the next to last one seem like a coin flip. What are the sizes of the fish? I've had my male endler for about 2 months now, and he's still around less than an inch even with vigorous feeding.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree that the two Petco fish are probably guppy/endler hybrids. The tail shapes in particular strike me as bring selectively bred guppy tails (especially the last pic). I haven't seen many pure endlers with tails like that.

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! that's exactly what I was thinking. I am going to hold off on adding the little Endler/guppy to my Endler tank to try and keep my Endler breeding strictly Poecilia wingei

5g moss tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g high Endler tank

Last edited by Charlygarcia808; 06-13-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Planted Member

Not sure of how true it is but read that any endler that has yellow is a hybrid as naturally they never had yellow coloring. Read that on an older endler related website so....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Not sure of how true it is but read that any endler that has yellow is a hybrid as naturally they never had yellow coloring. Read that on an older endler related website so....

You are correct that Poecilia wingei var. “yellow tiger” is a guppy hybrid. I’m just saying I’m unsure of the others hybrid type. So to keep my breeding tank strictly yellow tiger endlers I’ll leave the other “unknown” in the tank with the guppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5g moss tank

20g high Endler tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode