Questions about Cories - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about Cories

I know Corydora's are schooling fish. I was wondering that do I have to have 10-20 of the same species of Cories or can I get 3-4 of different kinds of Cories and end up having 20-30 Cories of different kinds. Would that be really a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Corydoras prefer to school with their own kind. In my experience, the smaller the size, the more they require in the group to express natural shoaling behavior. It is very common to see people recommend 6 corydoras as a starting point for a group in the aquarium, but I find that it depends on the size of the corydoras.
What is your tank size and what fish do you already have?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In my super cory aquarium I have anywhere from 2 of a species to 7 of a species (at this point I don't even remember how many different species I have in the tank. Quite a few). In past tanks I have sometimes had single Corydoras or a pair and they seemed perfectly fine. So I would say that it is acceptable to just have a few in a tank and not feel like you are some sort of awful person.

However that said if you have a large enough tank you might find a large school of a single species to be more interesting and if the tank is long enough they may display schooling behavior which can be fun to watch. Corydoras are naturally very skittish and shy fish (some species less than others) and a very large school may make them less stressed and likely to panic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:55 AM
Planted Member

Even in schools they are kind of spazy. That being said I noticed with 2 they were relatively happy, with 4 more so, with 6 they took on a whole new dynamic as far as behavior. I only have 6 false juliis (and some babies). They get together around feeding time. The rest of the time they are in small groups of 2-3 and doing things like mating and foraging.

I use to have the juliis and couple of emeralds however lost a few juliis and both emeralds (bummer). Replaced the lost juliis and have settled with that. Kind of wish I had something more rare but is what it is. Would have been easier to rehome babies. Not at the point I have to worry about it but have several babies that are probably going to make it to adult hood so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode