Dots... - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bad reviews, mixed reviews... It's tough sometimes. If they make 1,000 units and 3 are faulty, those three people are far more likely to write a review than that other 997 people but a failure rate of 0.3% is damn good in my eyes. I always take reviews with a big grain of salt.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by fortheloveofcrabs; 06-03-2019 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

I have used Ich-X (NOT the Quick Ich-X that you posted) in my tank with amanos and cherry shrimp and they are no worse for the wear. I followed the label instructions for dosing.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
I have used Ich-X (NOT the Quick Ich-X that you posted) in my tank with amanos and cherry shrimp and they are no worse for the wear. I followed the label instructions for dosing.
What are the active ingredients?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

According to their site:

"CONTAINS: water, formaldehyde (<22%), methanol (<7.5%), malachite green chloride (<0.2%)."

I also tested my water today because I was worried the added temp would cause a spike:

NH4 0 (my tap water measures 0.5)
NO2 0
NH4 40
KH 3
GH 7

Well, I'm in good shape there. But than before, in fact. After tested, I did a 25% water change and vacuumed the HC as best I could. I will do a 10% change every day going forward and will vacuum the HC at that time.

Fish are looking good, very active and still eating. I can't count the dots but I suspect there are less today than yesterday, though still more than the first day.

I've also added a slice of zucchini to the tank that I have been changing every day. The oto's seem to like it and I'd rather them over eat than under.
Discusluv likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Things are looking the same today. Did a 15% water change (I have a 5 gal bucket and 30 gal tank).

The oto's are still very active and swimming a lot. So far, they don't seem bothered by the ich or the temp which is good. I will say that a UV sterilizer seemed to add a little extra 'polish' to my water clarity. It may be worth looking into a more long term version than the drop in kind I bought.
Discusluv likes this.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just an update if anyone is following along.

The spots on the fish have totally gone away!! YAY! I'm really thrilled because I've grown fond of them - three are really playful and always on the go at the front of the tank. They are very active and my wife has named them the Three Stooges. The fourth is often found sitting in one of the bonsai tress or eating off an Anubis leaf; she call's him Grumpy because he's anti-social. Anyway, I know it's silly, but I really wanted them to survive.

Water today is:

NH4 0
NO2 0
NH4 20
KH 3
GH 7
Temp 87C

I am continuing to do my 5 gal water changes every day and I am guessing that that is why my NH4 has dropped so low.

I started the heat treatment on June 1 and added the UV on June 2nd, so I will use that date as day 1 so on the 12th or 13th I should be able to lower the temp back down to normal so long as I don't see any symptoms. Then maybe I can get back to adding fish.

Thank you again Discusluv for all your help and guidance! I really, REALLY appreciate it.

-Paul
Discusluv likes this.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofcrabs View Post
Just an update if anyone is following along.

The spots on the fish have totally gone away!! YAY! I'm really thrilled because I've grown fond of them - three are really playful and always on the go at the front of the tank. They are very active and my wife has named them the Three Stooges. The fourth is often found sitting in one of the bonsai tress or eating off an Anubis leaf; she call's him Grumpy because he's anti-social. Anyway, I know it's silly, but I really wanted them to survive.

Water today is:

NH4 0
NO2 0
NH4 20
KH 3
GH 7
Temp 87C

I am continuing to do my 5 gal water changes every day and I am guessing that that is why my NH4 has dropped so low.

I started the heat treatment on June 1 and added the UV on June 2nd, so I will use that date as day 1 so on the 12th or 13th I should be able to lower the temp back down to normal so long as I don't see any symptoms. Then maybe I can get back to adding fish.

Thank you again Discusluv for all your help and guidance! I really, REALLY appreciate it.

-Paul
Happy you had a good outcome.
fortheloveofcrabs likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What should be the final update: no signs of ich - yay! That said, I started lowering the temperature last night and again a little this morning so I should be back to about 78F tomorrow sometime. I also turned on the CO2 this afternoon again and not a moment too late as my HC is looking worse for the lack of it for 10 + days. All 4 Oto's survived and are eating well!

What I am taking away from this: you can beat ich without chemicals and just heat and a UV sterilizer which I am really happy about. If I ever get it again, I am well prepared to deal with it and if anyone in the future is reading this because they are faced with ich I hope this helps.

I will say this, the UV did make my tank clearer. The water was surprisingly clear with it in the tank: like crystal. I am curious to see, now that my tank is a little further along in age, if the water stays as clear. If not, I may consider getting a better inline one.

Thank you again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode