Sudden tetra aggression? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Sudden tetra aggression?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I have recently had a strange occurrence in my 29 gallon planted tetra tank.

In the tank, I have 8 neons, 6 serpae, and 6 black skirt tetras (plus some otocinclus and a pleco). All fish have been in perfect health. A couple of days ago I did a 30% water change and added a small dose of flourish excel. I left for a few hours, and when I returned all the neon tetras had badly damaged tail fins, some were almost completely gone. The serpae tetras had less extreme, but new rips in their dorsal fins, and a few of the black skirts had small pieces of their anal fins missing.

I'm thinking one or more of the black skirt tetras became suddenly very aggressive for some reason? I have seen no signs of aggression from any of the fish, however. All of the fish are still eating well, and actively swimming as usual. No further fin damage has occurred since as far as I can tell.

Can anyone help me understand what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Serpae tetras are pretty nippy but you haven't seen them displaying aggressive behavior?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Serpae tetras are known for being aggressive. Mine quit nipping as much once I got their numbers up to ten- plus then they won't bother other fish as much, being concerned with themselves. Even then there will be some fin-nipping within the group until they sort out their hierarchy.

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Serpae tetras are known for being aggressive. Mine quit nipping as much once I got their numbers up to ten- plus then they won't bother other fish as much, being concerned with themselves. Even then there will be some fin-nipping within the group until they sort out their hierarchy.

I have noticed the Serpaes chase each other fairly often, but it never seems to result in fin damage. The Serpaes never go after the neons; or at least I have never seen them do it.

The neons are all healing up nicely now. However, I'm concerned that the next water change will trigger aggression. I guess I will just have to watch more closely next time and see what happens.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:59 AM
Planted Member

Probably got excited with the water change and there was a rumble in the bronx. Sometimes water changes will bring out the best/worst in fish/shrimp.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water changes often bring on breeding behavior as well. Which can get a bit violent in tetras. As long as your water conditions are good nipped fins usually just heal up just fine.

Tags
aggression, fish behavior, tetras

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode