1Likes
  • 1 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Nano fish for soft water 11 gallon

Greetings all,

I'll be stocking my Aqueon 11 gallon soon and was looking for some input on selecting nano fish for my setup. Tank dimensions: L 20.25" x W 10.5" x H 12.6".

Water parameters:

pH = 6.7
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = <5 ppm
dGH = 2
dKH = 10
TDS = 438

I've been doing a fishless cycle for about 3 weeks now and have gotten pretty consistent readings. Link to my build thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ch-11-gal.html

I really want to get a scarlet badis pair or trio. They are beautiful and I have enjoyed watching their behavior. I don't want to stock this tank heavily, but would like to add peaceful nano dither fish if possible. Ember tetras would a perfect fit in my mind, but since there is plenty of red in there already, blue coloration would be a great contrast. The blue variation of Sundadanio axelrodi looks like it would be perfect.

Does anyone have experience with D. dario and S. axelrodi? Any other considerations for nano fish that would suit my setup and water conditions?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Kubotai rasboras are a very pretty green, and would nicely contrast the scarlet badis. I've found them to be easy keepers, and they don't harass my chilis or CPDs at all.

Actually, CPD's or the related "emerald tiger rasboras" (looks like a forest green CPD but with white stripes instead of white dots) could go well with the scarlet badis. Mine only chase eachother, and not with any real agression. Only issue with those is that they can be rather shy too.

I don't keep scarlet badis anymore, but I did in the past. They were ferocious with eachother (rather like little cichlids, actually), and definitely need small caves to feel secure, but they got along very well with the small tetras and baby cories they were kept with. The more cover they have in the tank, they more they feel safe to venture out, so heavy planting is a must. They actually did well in our local hard water, and I found them to be quite hardy once settled in (they are sort of susceptible to transport stress right upon purchase IME, but if they make it a week they are good to go). Mine took a while to get used to crushed flake & mini pellets, they preferred the frozen bbs and cyclops with a tiny bit of mini bloodworms (they didn't seem to mind that it wasn't live food as long as I dripped it down from above so it visibly moved through the water column). Don't over do the bloodworms though if that's part of your feeding schedule; I've heard they are prone to health issues if those comprise a large portion of their diet, so I tried to keep them to less than 10% of total intake. Once trained to eat commercial prepared foods, I fed about 50/50 prepared and frozen, and they conditioned & colored up nicely on that combination.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:12 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Rasbora [https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...ario-kubotai/] kubotai are beatifull but they are rather active fish and need more swimming room and a larger school. They are also good jumpers.
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Rasbora [https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...ario-kubotai/] kubotai are beatifull but they are rather active fish and need more swimming room and a larger school. They are also good jumpers.
I keep 5 kuboti in a standard 5.5g along with a pair of CPD's and one lone golden dwarf barb that I "adopted", no jumpers after several months (I do have floating plants though). They are pretty active, but all are in very good health and colored up great after settling in from the LFS.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question Dario dario and scuds

I went to my LFS today and they actually have scarlet badis in stock. I had no idea they were THAT tiny. Their extremely small size brings up a question about my plan to use the colony of scuds in my tank as a primary food source.

The adult scuds are larger than the mouths of the fish. Will the scarlet badis hunt, kill and eat them as well or will they solely eat the small juveniles they can get down in one gulp?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode