Fishing for more suggestions. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TDSapp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fishing for more suggestions.

So my wife told me that we need more fish in the tank and who am I to argue with her.

It is a 150 gallon tall tank with 50 gallons of water in a 60 gallon sump. I would not call it a heavily planted tank, at least not when compared to most tanks I have seen on here. There are probably around 30 plant groups in the tank (multiple stems of a plant type) and there is rock and driftwood in the tank as well.

We currently have the following livestock in the tank.

20 Neon Tetras
5 Guppies (Fancy and Endler)
4 Baby Guppies
10 White Cloud Minnows (Very small)
2 Amano Shrimp
2 Amazon Frogs
2 Assassin Snails
1 billion Pond Snails (Need more Assassin Snails )

I have been planning on adding some Otos, probably six of them. There may also be a chance that I will toss in some Red Cherry shrimp. I am about to start a RCS Nano tank and if it gets too populated they may have to move to the big tank.

I am however not sure what else to add.

We have hard water here, Ph of 8.25, so something hardy and NOT aggressive. We have had Cichlids before and got rid of them because of so much aggression. We like what we have so far because there is no aggression in the tank. Even the Neon's don't school because they fear nothing in the tank.

What are the thoughts of adding any of the following

A Dwarf Gourami?
GloFish Danio
Cherry Barb

Any other fish out there to consider?

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Planted Member

Brass tetra, lots of smaller danio and Rasbora to chose from.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So what about a YoYo Loach? I have a ton of pond snails in the tank. The two assassin snails are hard at work but I think the pond snails are breeding faster than two can eat. So I started looking at the loaches that eat snails. I would move the two assassin snails to the sump where there would be plenty for them to eat.

I don't want a clown loach as they get too big. The Lohachata Botia Loach (AKA YoYo Loach) apparently gets four to five inches and is semi-aggressive... What does that mean? In the very same paragraph it states that if you keep only one of them they will team up with other tank mates. Does not sounds very aggressive to me. Is it better to get three of them? How will they do with the Neon Tetras, White Cloud minnows and guppies that I already have.

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Algae Grower

Your tank needs a feature fish. 1 fish that stands out that you can hunt and look for to see what it is doing. The Amazon Puffer fish is described as a community puffer and would take care of the snail problem. He will also take care of the shrimp as well unfortunately.

Honey Gourami are supposed to be good around shrimp. Not sure if that would be interesting enough to be a feature fish.

Just some random thoughts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Your tank needs a feature fish. 1 fish that stands out that you can hunt and look for to see what it is doing.

I agree with you 100%... A feature fish would be great. Trying to figure out which one will fit in a community planted tank is the hard part. Kind of why I started this thread.

Don't get me started with Puffers... I got into saltwater because I fell in love with a puffer fish. Set up a reef tank and then discovered that they are not reef safe, so no puffer. When I started to get back into fresh water I found freshwater shrimp and decided that I was going that route. Then I find the fresh water puffers and discover they don't go with the shrimp I want either.

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My yoyo loaches get along nicely with my tetras and madagascar rainbowfish (btw Rainbows would be a lovely addition to your tank). The yoyos take no guff from the angelfish, but pretty much mind their own business otherwise until feeding time. Then they are NINJAS for getting food before the other fish.

Also, I know you say no cichlids, but Bolivian Rams are about as chill as it gets. My tetras pick on them, not the other way around. If you don't get a pair to where they breed, you wouldn't see any agression there.

Also, glass cats have done really well for me in super hard water. Those could be a very interesting addition as well. I've also had really good luck in our local water (which may as well be liquid concrete) with brilliant rasboras, pearl danios, filligree bloodfin tetras, khuli loaches, and several types of cories (emerald, pepper, panda, trilenniatus, hasbrosus and pygmaus). Mollies do well in it also.

You could also try a "feature school" rather than a feature fish. Besides rainbows, congo tetras are stunning once they settle into a tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
My yoyo loaches get along nicely with my tetras and madagascar rainbowfish (btw Rainbows would be a lovely addition to your tank). The yoyos take no guff from the angelfish, but pretty much mind their own business otherwise until feeding time. Then they are NINJAS for getting food before the other fish.

Also, I know you say no cichlids, but Bolivian Rams are about as chill as it gets. My tetras pick on them, not the other way around. If you don't get a pair to where they breed, you wouldn't see any agression there.

Also, glass cats have done really well for me in super hard water. Those could be a very interesting addition as well. I've also had really good luck in our local water (which may as well be liquid concrete) with brilliant rasboras, pearl danios, filligree bloodfin tetras, khuli loaches, and several types of cories (emerald, pepper, panda, trilenniatus, hasbrosus and pygmaus). Mollies do well in it also.

You could also try a "feature school" rather than a feature fish. Besides rainbows, congo tetras are stunning once they settle into a tank.
I looked at the Bolivian Rams and the only concern I have is everything I have read says they want neutral to acidic water levels. My water out of the tap has a Ph of 8.2 and has some really high Gh and Kh readings as well. I was worried that the high Ph would cause them issues if I got them.

I had not thought about Rainbows and started looking at them once you suggested them. I might end up going that route. Some 4" fish would be nice since the tank is large enough to handle them. I was just always worried that the bigger fish would eat my Tetra and White Clouds.

Tim
Greggz likes this.

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
I had not thought about Rainbows and started looking at them once you suggested them. I might end up going that route. Some 4" fish would be nice since the tank is large enough to handle them. I was just always worried that the bigger fish would eat my Tetra and White Clouds.
+1 Rainbows are a great mix with a planted tank. Not too big, peaceful, easy to care for, long lived, and available in a wide variety of colors/shapes. I have quite a few in my 120G, and my journal has lots of pictures of different species.

Bows have small mouths and no worries with smaller dither fish.

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you decide. Post some pics sometime, as I am sure many would be interested to see what you have going on there, especially with 150G.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post

I looked at the Bolivian Rams and the only concern I have is everything I have read says they want neutral to acidic water levels. My water out of the tap has a Ph of 8.2 and has some really high Gh and Kh readings as well. I was worried that the high Ph would cause them issues if I got them.

Tim
My bolivians do fine in hard alkaline water, as long as it's kept clean. I do try to get domestically bred dwarf cichlids though so they are raised in less acidic/soft water parameters. Wild ones probably wouldn't stand a chance here, but domestic ones are much more forgiving. They do need a well-maintained tank, but are no where near as prissy as german rams.

And as mentioned above, rainbow fish have pretty small mouths. They couldn't eat a tetra if they wanted to. I keep madagascars myself, but the LFS by my house keeps iridians and bosmanis in the local hard/alkaline water in a "shop mascots" display tank behind the counter, and they have had them for years. All are peaceful, even when full grown.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:03 AM
Planted Member

Celebes Rainbows are peaceful fish that enjoy harder waters and get about 3”max. Matured males have even longer black spiked fins than this pic. They’ll do this neat little display dance circling with each other popping up those spikes and coloring up. Very attractive peaceful fish. Beautiful yellow, black and glittery blue/clear colors.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode