general stocking question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
general stocking question

I recently moved my cherry shrimp to a 20 gallon long so I now have a Fluval Flex 9 gallon that I would like to turn into a general tank or smaller community tank, if you will. The issue I'm running into is that the flow of water in a Fluval flex is pretty strong (with no dial or anything to turn it down) so any fish I was considering (betta, dwarf gourami) probably would not be very happy in this set up. Does anyone know of some fish that would do ok in a smaller tank like this that are also ok with a stronger flow of water?

Edit: I should add.. I don't use a heater, however the temperature of the water still stays around 76-78F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf View Post
I recently moved my cherry shrimp to a 20 gallon long so I now have a Fluval Flex 9 gallon that I would like to turn into a general tank or smaller community tank, if you will. The issue I'm running into is that the flow of water in a Fluval flex is pretty strong (with no dial or anything to turn it down) so any fish I was considering (betta, dwarf gourami) probably would not be very happy in this set up. Does anyone know of some fish that would do ok in a smaller tank like this that are also ok with a stronger flow of water?

White Cloud Mountain minnows are a great option for high-flow tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Algae Grower

Just to address your original concern with the flow of the pump, you can stick a few sponges over the ends of the returns to baffle the flow or drill holes in the lift tube of the pump in order to reduce the flow in the tank (some prefer this method since it doesn't restrict the pump in any way and won't affect its lifetime.) Either of those solutions would allow you to keep Bettas or Gourami in the tank without having to worry about having too much flow.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I second white clouds as a great option for an unheated tank with a lot of movement.

Small non-annual killies would do well if the tank is lidded.

Small tetras or rasboras if the temp doesn't drop too much (or you can get a small heater). A 9 gallon would let you do 2 small schools if you stick to nano-size ones like ember tetras or kuboti rasboras.

Guppies are pretty tolerant of the temps, and would be fine in a moderate current if you stick to more wild-shaped ones and don't get delta-tails.

You might also look at nano fish that are USA natives. Even the ones from hot places like Florida get a seasonal temperature drop, and should do fine in an unheated tank in a climate-controlled home.

Also, I found that loosely tying a square of flosspad over a strong outflow, so that it doesn't restrict the output but rather disperses it around, allows me to keep fish that don't love strong currents in tanks with high-flow filters. You may want to tinker with that before deciding on stocking.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.. I was thinking about seeing if I could disperse the flow somehow with maybe a prefilter sponge or something but I didn't want to make it go away completely or put stress on the pump. Don't really want to drill the holes in the uplift tube though, that's a bit too permanent, just in case.

I guess I would need to find something more coarse than a normal prefilter sponge so the flow isn't quite so limited, something like a pond sponge? or maybe as was suggested above, trying to loosely tie the floss pad over the outflow tube. Do you think the polyester quilt batting would work?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Poly quilt batting is basically filter floss pad, so I see no reason it won't work fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:42 AM
Planted Member

Emerald rasbora seem to be ok with cooler temps although your non heated tank is pretty warm so dont think temp is a limiting factor for most of the little fish. I keep my 40b at 76F and the corys, CPDs, Emerald tetras, and OTOs do just fine (knocks on wood).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had the same issue with the fluval flex 15g. Initially I placed a bit of sponge in the nozzle, but having to keep taking it apart to clean out was a bit of a chore.

So I had a bit of an idea that might also work for you:

1: I removed the filter nozzle, just leaving the output tube.

2: I wedged a piece of wood around the tube, so that the water was muffled and trickled down it.

3: I added some torn up moss ball and other plants to further muffle the flow.

I keep the water at the bottom of the marked water line and the pump still works absolutely fine. The heater is usually in the pump section, it was just moved into the main tank during a water change. The oxygen in the tank may be a little lower than usual, but is fine for my betta. I'd keep an eye if doing this with a high bioload or fish that require high levels of oxygen in the water.

Sorry if the photo isn't very clear - it was taken during a water change a few weeks ago and am not home to take a better one.

This has muffled the flow enough for my very fussy betta. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_4340_LI.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	881827  

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode