Panda Garra camouflage - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Panda Garra camouflage

So... I’ve had my panda for a while now and think he’s totally awesome. About a month ago I was having some unknown issues with my tank and had a few fish die on me.

At this time I noticed one evening that I couldn’t locate the garra. Not totally uncommon as there was lots of natural bidding spaces in the tank but I was concerned due to loosing other fish. He eventually appeared from within the drift wood and I noticed all his black had gone. It only lasted an hour but I was concerned as I know fish loose their colour when stressed or unwell.

As a side note. Yes, I was medicating the tank to rule out any illnesses.

In the end I decided to redo the aquascape and did a large water change. To do this I removed the fish. The garra was having none of it and I had to get the water down to a few inches before I could catch him. By this point he had once again lost his black. Which made it hard to spot him as his golden colour is pretty much the same as the substrate.

Since the tank has been changed everything seems much healthier and no more issues so far. But I have noticed when he emerges from hidden areas his colour is faded. Last night I watched the black reappear within seconds. It was so strange.

Could this be a camouflage behavior rather than a stress thing? I have tried looking online but no one else seems to have had the same thing.

He seems perfectly happy and healthy. He just likes having some quiet time where he hides. Usually for an hour or two in the evening.

Fish are friends not food
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode