Help with gold gourami - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with gold gourami

Can someone please tell me what is going on with my gold gourami? I have had her for around one and a half years now and never had problems with her, until today. I did a large water change (80%) because I had slacked off on water changes for a few weeks and I noticed after refilling the aquarium she has been acting weird for the past couple hours and she havenít improved. Sheís been sitting on the bottom of the aquarium or leaning against the side, occasionally swimming to the top to get air and when she does swim she seems to have a hard time keeping her tail upright and if she sits still it falls down so her face is pointing upwards. I thought it could be swim bladder issues, but I didnít know they could come on this quick. Maybe Iím overthinking this and she just needs some time to adjust, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Was it just a few weeks that you were not doing regular water changes? Have you done any testing to make sure their was no spikes of ammonia or nitrites?

Can you do a test of ammonia, nitrites and ammonia now. This is the first area I would look.

Is the fish still eating?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you had neglected water changes for a while, and then did a huge one, she could be suffering some shock from the sudden change- difference in pH, or temperature or both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think you guys were right about waiting too long and then doing a huge water change, poor girl didnít make it through the night
Luckily the other fish are okay but I shouldnít have done such a big water change at once
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

A three week lapse in water changes is not long enough to make a difference to cause "shock" in a fish. This type of shock comes about from "old-tank syndrome" where a tank has a long-term history of neglect.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
A three week lapse in water changes is not long enough to make a difference to cause "shock" in a fish. This type of shock comes about from "old-tank syndrome" where a tank has a long-term history of neglect.

I have a lot of guppies in my tank with the gourami, could it be overstocked and thatís why it happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thats why I asked you to do water tests. There are several ways our bio-filters can be taxed and lead to a mini-cycle and ammonia exposure. It may have been a low exposure that will not effect healthy fish, but enough to make a fish that is weak stressed enough to get a secondary issue. The first thing that you want to do when a fish is sick or dies is to test your water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode