Compatibility Questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
firesflightt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Compatibility Questions

so i am in the process of setting up my 75 gallon community.. getting it cycled and all that jazz.

now, i'm thinking about the stocking!

for centerpiece fish, i would like to have a harem of pearl gouramis and a single angelfish. i will buy the angel small and add it last. i will also observe the angelfish very closely before i buy it to ascertain it has a peaceful temperament.
for schoolers, i am open to recommendations. i've heard many people say that younger individuals will be eaten by the angelfish, so that is why i will buy the angel small. i'm deciding between rummynose tetras, harlequin rasboras, sterbai cories, and black phantom tetras. also, if i want to splurge, rainbowfish.
as for livebearers, i will add some guppies from my current community tank. BUT, is it true that they will get eaten by angels? if so, i will probably get swordtails instead.

suggestions are appreciated, too!! i have almost no clue what to do with this tank ahaha.
firesflightt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 1,122
Angelfish can turn over time, so observing temperament now may not help. Larger tanks, such as yours, and not overcrowded can help, but my experience with them is that they will usually bully community fish.

I suggest that you Google "freshwater fish compatibility chart" to get several opinions (mostly consistent) on various options.

you might also find this website useful: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Deanna is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
firesflightt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Angelfish can turn over time, so observing temperament now may not help. Larger tanks, such as yours, and not overcrowded can help, but my experience with them is that they will usually bully community fish.

I suggest that you Google "freshwater fish compatibility chart" to get several opinions (mostly consistent) on various options.

you might also find this website useful: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
thank you for the advice.
the charts say no guppies with angelfish, so i will resist (if i'm still getting the angel.) i will also add some hardscape and plants that will block the line of sight. regardless, i should be able to rehome the angel to my LFS if it becomes aggressive. does it actually help any to purchase the angel small and have it grow with the other fish? i've seen that suggested a few times.

what do you think i could add if i dropped the angelfish idea altogether?
firesflightt is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 1,122
I've tried the 'buy small' and can't say that it helped. Fish - like kids - can have different personalities. I've also had success with Angels, but mostly not. My LFS' also take "donations" so, anytime I have issues, I just drop them off to be adopted. That would definitely reduce your risk.

I can't recommend an alternative to Angels. I like them a lot and, to me, they are unique and nothing can take their place.
Discusluv likes this.
Deanna is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
firesflightt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
I've tried the 'buy small' and can't say that it helped. Fish - like kids - can have different personalities. I've also had success with Angels, but mostly not. My LFS' also take "donations" so, anytime I have issues, I just drop them off to be adopted. That would definitely reduce your risk.

I can't recommend an alternative to Angels. I like them a lot and, to me, they are unique and nothing can take their place.
okay. i think i will try it out, and if it goes south i can return the angel.
firesflightt is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 AM
Planted Member
 
mrjbacon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 183
What if you just got more than one angel instead of the gouramis? Spreading aggression is easier in multiple conspecifics than multiple species.
Discusluv likes this.

I have MTS
mrjbacon is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 1,818
Angelfish are cichlids- and cichlids have varying degrees of aggression. No guarantees. Buying smaller will not determine future aggression levels.
I would not put gourami's together with Angels. If you want Asian species- stick with Gourami's, danio's, rasboras and the like... they are much more compatible than mixing with South American species.
Like suggested, I would add 5 Angels ( in your tank size) to disperse aggression. I have 4 wild Altum Angel juveniles together in a 60 gallon that will eventually be transferred to a 180 gallon tank. They pick at each other constantly, ( that is their natural cichlid behaviors coming out) but this aggression gets dispersed and never directed toward one fish. I also have them with one discus ( also a temporary situation) that chases all of the Angels ( bigger cichlid picks on smaller ones- par for the course.) There are also 12 green neons that are totally ignored by the Angels and the discus. When the Angels reach their full growth potential- they would be a snack. The Angels will be moved before then. Have you ever seen an Angel open its mouth. They could probably fit a cory cat in
that maw!

Anyways, Im partial to Angels and would nix the Gourami's. But, you may be more partial to Goruami's and in that case I would nix the Angel.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Discusluv is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westchester County, NY USA
Posts: 277
IMHO a single angel is not a very good idea. It can become a real bully, plus angels behavior in a group, their interactions with each other, is very interesting. BTW, exactly the same applies to gouramis.



You can have both pearls and angels in one 75 gallon tank, they'll most probably ignore each other except during breeding and feeding time - if they have others of their own kind. In other words, again, don't use a single gourami or single angel.
Oso Polar is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MissCris's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by firesflightt View Post
so i am in the process of setting up my 75 gallon community.. getting it cycled and all that jazz.

now, i'm thinking about the stocking!

for centerpiece fish, i would like to have a harem of pearl gouramis and a single angelfish. i will buy the angel small and add it last. i will also observe the angelfish very closely before i buy it to ascertain it has a peaceful temperament.
for schoolers, i am open to recommendations. i've heard many people say that younger individuals will be eaten by the angelfish, so that is why i will buy the angel small. i'm deciding between rummynose tetras, harlequin rasboras, sterbai cories, and black phantom tetras. also, if i want to splurge, rainbowfish.
as for livebearers, i will add some guppies from my current community tank. BUT, is it true that they will get eaten by angels? if so, i will probably get swordtails instead.

suggestions are appreciated, too!! i have almost no clue what to do with this tank ahaha.
If you want Tetras, black phantoms are least likely on that list to be eaten.

After trying angels with tetras before though, I decided to do rainbowfish in my tank, and recommend the same. I personally keep Madagascars with my angels, but any appropriately water parameters compatible species would likely do well.
MissCris is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
firesflightt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
i'm for sure keeping the gouramis, i'm very partial to them. by a "harem" i mean a group of 3.

going off of a good portion the messages here, i guess the angel won't work unfortunately.

what else could i add to this tank instead? i would prefer some somewhat big fish, about the same size as the pearls maybe. how about a BN pleco?
firesflightt is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Algae Grower
 
VioletAqua's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 29
Hey @firesflightt

I have a similar tank running so I'll share my experience so far. I have a 55 gallon stocked with 4 angels, 2 dwarf gouramis, 11 black skirt tetras and a bumble bee catfish. The tank has been running for 5 months. I can't speak to long term compatibility issues, but so far, so good between everyone.

The gouramis are both male so they like to chase each other around the tank and "duel" with their feelers. They also charge each other a little and generally despise the look of the other gourami. My tank seems large enough to avoid any serious problems. They blow off their steam and go back to their business.

The angel fish are still young. They do minor territorial behaviour and ram their fellow angels from time to time as well as the tetras.

The black skirts nip at other black skirts all the time in a quick circle maneuver. They occasionally nip the angel fishes long fins. (I had red eye and red serpae tetras previously and they were extremely fast and nippy towards the angel fish)

My guess is 2/3 of the time my tank is very lazy with fish relaxed and dispersed to all corners hovering. 1/3 they are swimming around. I would classify my tank setup almost as semi-aggressive, mostly between their own species, with no issues so far.

Good luck on your tank selection!

Bump: PS. I got black skirt tetras because I read they are a schooling fish (which they are), however 90% of the time they are not schooled. They like to disperse the maximum distance from each other and end up in every corner of the tank with 3 inches between each fish and they just hover there all day. They usually only school when they feel threatened which is when my lights switch off and on and during water changes.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


VioletAqua is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
firesflightt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
hi! thanks for sharing your thoughts. i'm really intrigued by black skirts, i've always loved the look of them. if they aren't too much of a bother to my other fish maybe i can consider them.

i said no to the angels because they'd be better in a group, and i'm not sure if my tank can stuff that group in along with the gouramis. i'm wondering if i'm able to do a group of 3-4 angels and 3-4 gouramis in the same tank, along with some other smaller fish?

how about something like this:
3x pearl gourami
4x angelfish
20x schoolers (still haven't decided)
5x swordtails

i imagine the gouramis and angels would leave each other alone, now that they are in a group to disperse aggression, correct?
firesflightt is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Algae Grower
 
VioletAqua's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 29
The angels and gouramis in my tank don't bother each other at all. They just focus on their own species.

I used aqaadvisor to get a gauge on stocking numbers and conflicts. I have heard stocking to 80% their recommendation is best. My tank is stocked at 115% (my fish are not full grown and are probably around 75% stock atm). I just tested your tank and it came out to 104%. I imagine if you do a 36% water change every week, keep up maintenance and properly size your filter your good to go. I'm newer to the hobby so I would check in with the more seasoned pros regarding this though.

AqAdvisor - firesflightt


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


VioletAqua is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
firesflightt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletAqua View Post
The angels and gouramis in my tank don't bother each other at all. They just focus on their own species.

I used aqaadvisor to get a gauge on stocking numbers and conflicts. I have heard stocking to 80% their recommendation is best. My tank is stocked at 115% (my fish are not full grown and are probably around 75% stock atm). I just tested your tank and it came out to 104%. I imagine if you do a 36% water change every week, keep up maintenance and properly size your filter your good to go. I'm newer to the hobby so I would check in with the more seasoned pros regarding this though.

AqAdvisor - firesflightt
thanks for the quick link! my plan was for pearl gouramis, not dwarfs, so i went ahead and changed that myself. i'm also running a cascade 1000 on this tank.

aqadvisor told me i NEEDED more filtration capacity, so i took out the swordtails. now it gives me a more passive warning. if i need an extra HOB to run in this tank for extra filtration, i might be able to do that.
firesflightt is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westchester County, NY USA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by firesflightt View Post
i'm wondering if i'm able to do a group of 3-4 angels and 3-4 gouramis in the same tank, along with some other smaller fish?

i imagine the gouramis and angels would leave each other alone, now that they are in a group to disperse aggression, correct?

Yes and yes. The only thing is that I'd get more *young* angels - at least six. As they grow up they will pair up. Then just leave 2 pairs and sell the rest. If you'll get just 3 or 4 then there is a very good chance that you'll get one pair - and then the remaining one or two will be constantly harassed.
Oso Polar is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amano shrimp compatibility questions Mphouse Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 1 06-23-2017 01:50 AM
Questions questions questions:) Fresh fish Low Tech Forum 2 08-13-2015 02:04 PM
5.5G questions again Regenesis Low Tech Forum 27 03-07-2015 09:14 PM
Silver Dollar compatibility questions Saxtonhill Fish 5 02-02-2015 09:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome