Culling options?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Culling options??

I recently began breeding a few species of fish in my spare time, not for profit just for fun. I give away what I get to an lfs and friends.

Anyway, because I now have a considerable amount of fry, the amount of deformaties has increased overall too.

How do you cull your deformed fry? I've heard of a few methods. What's your opinion on feeding them to a fish?

Thanks in advance 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
When able, I always feel best about feeding them off to other fishes. There's no ideal way to end a life. I've used clove oil, ice water, fridge to freezer, and even swung a net against a hard surface. All of them make me feel crappy. I got out of electric blue rams just because of the number of deformities I encountered. If I have fish large enough to swallow them that's my go-to. When I had the LFS I kept a "pet" alligator snapper just for dispatching larger specimens. Culling is a necessary downside of breeding (or even owning) large numbers of fish. I wish it wasn't.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, feeding them sounds a lot nicer than having to put a few in clove oil or the freezer. what predator could I get that ideally stay in a 30g

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
The 30 gallon part is difficult. There are some dwarf pike cichlid species that might fit the bill if you are feeding fry on the sub 1" side.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfishysteve View Post
Thanks, feeding them sounds a lot nicer than having to put a few in clove oil or the freezer. what predator could I get that ideally stay in a 30g
I was surprised to find this out but apparently clove oil is considered more humane than feeding them to larger fish by some breeders who do a lot of culling, I guess the smaller fish don't always die quickly when eaten.

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You could keep a paradise fish in 30gal. Males get just over 4", and I can't keep any other fish with my paradise because they go after everything. I've never had fry around that I needed to dispatch via feeding, but that was actually my plan (if my angels spawned, I was going to feed unwanted fry to the paradise fish).

I've swung the net and used a brick (tipped it over on them) to euthanize fish before- they both felt horrible. I prefer to use clove oil now- if you get the dose right, the fish just rolls over and goes unconscious almost instantly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode